Average Price Of A German Shepherd?

angelnkids

Sighs.....you are so lucky. I so badly want a GSD, they would have to be my favourite breed, but the shedding, OMG the shedding!!!Good luck with your girl, pics are mandatory:)

Not all of them! I've had shepherds for over 30 years and I've FINALLY got one that hardly sheds - and she's a long-coat :eek:.

I was going to ask if the long coats shed less - it would seem logical.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine sheds like there is no tomorrow! But he has skin problems too, which doesn't help.

Unfortunately mine has the skin problems - however I've found the 3yrly vaccination instead of annual has helped a lot. I found that her skin always flared up within a week or so of being vaccinated (hot spots :( ) and now she only gets ear infections, mainly after a lot of wet weather.

Sighs.....you are so lucky. I so badly want a GSD, they would have to be my favourite breed, but the shedding, OMG the shedding!!!Good luck with your girl, pics are mandatory:)

Not all of them! I've had shepherds for over 30 years and I've FINALLY got one that hardly sheds - and she's a long-coat :eek:.

I was going to ask if the long coats shed less - it would seem logical.

If they are Long coats(no undercoat) then yep they are not going to leave the fur bunnies, Long Stock Coats(with undercoat) will.

I won't hijack this thread but if those in the know could pm me about what to look for and ask the breeder about in regards to a LC GSD that would be awesome! I fully expect some shedding and I am more than happy to groom to help keep it to a minimum but a LC sounds like it may be the go for us.

I won't hijack this thread but if those in the know could pm me about what to look for and ask the breeder about in regards to a LC GSD that would be awesome! I fully expect some shedding and I am more than happy to groom to help keep it to a minimum but a LC sounds like it may be the go for us.

Just budget for a Roomba as well :laugh: Or whip around with a 'swiffer' each morning, that doesn't take long and stops the dust bunnies from forming.

thanks, we may be getting her sooner than expected, the breeder will let us pay half now, and take her and pay the rest when we have it. so i was wondering what toys are good, and how many do i need. i dont think we will need a crate, she will be sleeping inside with us, so a dogbed, is there anything else apart from a chain and collar, and name tag.

Just want to be prepared.

thanks

Can I suggest you rethink the "no crate" decision?

Crates are really only suitable to be used inside anyway.

With a young family and a young dog, a method of safely separating them is important. A crate provides a safe place for the puppy when you cannot supervise and I'd really recommend you feed her in there, give her her naps and sleep her in there. I would also place her in her crate when your family is eating - at any time.

Teach your children that the crate is your pupp's place and she is never to be bothered when she is in there. That gives her a refuge from the kids when she needs one and means you can keep her safely contained when you have visiting kids etc.

Seriously, a crate trained dog is a godsend and knowing that she is separted from your kids when you cannot supervise will give you serious peace of mind.

I don't know how old your kids are but I would not be allowing them unsupervised time with her until they are all aged 7 years or over.

What do you want the chain for? Do you mean a check chain?

thanks for the advice on the crate thing, i never thought of it like that, the breeder said she is already crate trained and well use to a crate, so that should be no problem.

As regards the chain, i meant a dog lead and choke chain doh, she suggested getting a lunge chain to start with, so she can run quite far, with us still being in control,. until we get use to her, and trust her and vice versa

she suggested getting a lunge chain to start with, so she can run quite far, with us still being in control,. until we get use to her, and trust her and vice versa

That would be a "lunge line", softer on the hands. A tracking leash is probably the best, but lunge lines from horse supply shops are cheaper.