Learning The Difference Between Friend And Trespasser

persephone

Most of our dogs like/love our cats :) They also love hunting feral cats ...but usually have to learn what's needed.

A few nights ago, I went to put Allie, a 6 mth old, who has done no hunting yet, to bed, and could hear her barking some way away from the house . I called , and eventually she came ..but wanted to go back again, so I went with her. She ran to one spot, put the nose down, hackles up , and was tracking/growling.. so I presumed there was a strange cat ...

Anyway, last night I could hear her barking /growling, went out with a strong torch, and asked her what was there..she kept on dashing to the fig tree, and barking/growling ... and eventually dashed in, and , a (smallish) feral cat erupted from under the tree and made its escape...as I didn't have my shotgun with me ,, and it didn't go up a tree .

She will be a very useful little dog :)

The love of Allie's life has always been Dougal , a big white/ginger cat .... she just adores him..and is literally all over him when she sees him ..poor Doogie. he won't ever sock her hard enough to discourage her , so just lies there like a big blob, while she whines and licks and rubs on him ..and occasionally they will wrestle (he's bigger than her :o)

I've not seen one of our pups so focussed on the ferals ... if she is as focussed on sheep work , she will be brilliant! :p ..or else she will be a professional feral cat hunter!

here she is asleep with her favourite toy ..a cat;)

post-1359-0-62774500-1330398739_thumb.jpg

Edited by persephone

Most of our dogs like/love our cats :) They also love hunting feral cats ...but usually have to learn what's needed.

A few nights ago, I went to put Allie, a 6 mth old, who has done no hunting yet, to bed, and could hear her barking some way away from the house . I called , and eventually she came ..but wanted to go back again, so I went with her. She ran to one spot, put the nose down, hackles up , and was tracking/growling.. so I presumed there was a strange cat ...

Anyway, last night I could hear her barking /growling, went out with a strong torch, and asked her what was there..she kept on dashing to the fig tree, and barking/growling ... and eventually dashed in, and , a (smallish) feral cat erupted from under the tree and made its escape...as I didn't have my shotgun with me ,, and it didn't go up a tree .

She will be a very useful little dog :)

The love of Allie's life has always been Dougal , a big white/ginger cat .... she just adores him..and is literally all over him when she sees him ..poor Doogie. he won't ever sock her hard enough to discourage her , so just lies there like a big blob, while she whines and licks and rubs on him ..and occasionally they will wrestle (he's bigger than her :o)

I've not seen one of our pups so focussed on the ferals ... if she is as focussed on sheep work , she will be brilliant! :p ..or else she will be a professional feral cat hunter!

Interesting observation. I have the same with all 3 of ours - they are on a search and destroy mission for any cat or possum (they are the same, aren't they?) that does not 'belong', but they all adore our 2 small cats.

Amazing what is and isn't allowed in their canine brains! I just wish I knew what they were actually thinking.

I think it is the body language of the animal. A pet cat will not generally exhibit prey-like body language but a feral will. Same for people visitors. Invited people who like dogs don't sneak and don't look suspecious but unwanted ones will. The dog knows and reads the body language. My old shepherd would let anyone in who looked normal but burr up at anyone who was scared of dogs ie sneaked around.

All of my dogs are great with my 3 cats. In particular the Dobe and the big black cat are loving friends. The cat will seek Acheron out and rub all over his face and then lay in front of him as if asking for some attention :).

However, I have no doubt that my 3 adult dogs would kill any cat that came into our yard. Our neighbour has a cat that is quite nasty (it attacks and chases all other cats in the street and has bitten my daughter severely on the shin) and all of my dogs go nuts when they see him. Lucky for this cat he is quite smart and avoids our back yard.

I think they recognise them by sight and smell. I used to have 2 whippets and a ginger cat. One day I heard yowling outside and when I checked I found a very similar looking cat had my ginger girl Pumpkin bailed up. I opened the door and said "get it!" and the whippets ingnored Pumpkin and chased the other cat off. They knew in an instant exactly who was the trespasser.