Britain's Most Celebrated Dogs

Perry's Mum

Wouldn't surprise me at all though. I have a little statue of him that my siser in law brought back from Scotland for me.

Oh well, at least we still have the dog who sits on the Tucker Box five miles from Gundagai....or do we. ;)

I thought Lassie was American?

I've been to Beddgelert many times - had some beautiful walks round there and it also has the best ice cream parlour in the world :eat: The dog's name was Gelert :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelert

I can't believe they left out Shep, the famous Blue Peter dog :D but Petra was my favorite from the show :)

The original Lassie story, "Lassie Come Home" was about a poor family in England who owned a beautiful Collie Bitch, and when the father went "missing" during the war, the single mother of one boy sold the dog because they could not afford to feed her to a rich Lord with a summer home in Scotland, where the dog was moved to his kennels, but she escaped and made the long, dangerous Journey back to her owner (the boy). The Original Movie mades starred Roddy McDowell and Elizabeth Taylor (of National Velvet fame), both well know British child stars of the day. Still a good read today.