Street Dogs Of South Central

Blackdogs

"Street Dogs of South Central is an 85 minute documentary film directed by Bill Marin and distributed by Lions Gate in association with Animal Planet. Narrated by Queen Latifah, it is a nature documentary depicting the lives of stray dogs on the streets of South Central Los Angeles.

The story follows the life of Elsie—a black labrador mix—and her struggles in raising her pups on the streets of Los Angeles." - Wikipedia.

Anyone seen this?

Wow. I think that would be both amazing and sad to watch but it would be be a facinating insight into base dog behaviour.

It's amazing what good condition most of them seem to be in but what a sad cycle of breeding and living on the streets they have. Some of the dogs I would definitely have crossed the street to avoid! The documentary seems to have been around a while, I'd love to know where to find a copy of it.

Thanks Meh, I had a look at that page earlier but couldn't find mention of a DVD. I did see a few comments where people were asking why there weren't any available so hopefully they'll have them in the future?

The latest comment on the wall says Elsie and her daughters haven't been seen for over a year. They doubt they were taken in by people because in the six months they documented for, she and the puppies didn't interact with a human once. I believe the film ends with Elsie being pregnant again. Viscous cycle :(

Ok, so part two isn't out yet.

If you're a deviant and you want to watch part one you can do so here.

I tried to be a deviant and it wouldn't let me - it just came up with a search with official copyright sites!

I clicked and it wouldn't display the page. :(

eta: I found mine worked if you un-censored the url by taking out the asterisks and replacing it with what should be there. :laugh:

Edited by mr.mister

Amazing video. Thanks for posting. I've watched street dogs in Brazil (where they are callled 'can lickers') and think that the cruel natural selection that happens on the street produces some amazing dogs. Elsie seems like a great dog . . . very maternal . . . intelligent . . . adaptable . . .

Amazing video. Thanks for posting. I've watched street dogs in Brazil (where they are callled 'can lickers') and think that the cruel natural selection that happens on the street produces some amazing dogs. Elsie seems like a great dog . . . very maternal . . . intelligent . . . adaptable . . .

You are welcome.

I agree, I myself was quite taken with the structure, athletic physique and intelligence of these dogs.

I think it's really shocking, especially in a country that has rabies...(and so many rabid Peta supporters who think this is a great thing to see dogs running free in a city rather than be owned by a human - and it was probably Peta that made this film).

South central is hardly first world though

Oh give me a break. It's not a slum in Haiti. It's the USA. Bloody disgraceful that a cutsie little propaganda film has been made about street dogs in LA - Nawww how wonderful that she's looking after her puppies who will probably get flattened on the road - when our vets and vaccines are going to developing countries to try to combat the street dog problem - good on them, too. Maybe they should start with sterilising Peta idiots in LA.

I found it enjoyable - I'll enjoy most dog-related things - but I must say I didn't like the emotive way it was filmed, and everything centering around 'love' and 'sticking together' etc etc. Purely designed to tug at the heart-strings but with very little factual information.

I would have found it a lot more enjoyable if it were filmed in the same way most wildlife docos are filmed, filled with information so you come away enlightened, not all warm and fuzzy inside.

South central is hardly first world though

Oh give me a break. It's not a slum in Haiti. It's the USA. Bloody disgraceful that a cutsie little propaganda film has been made about street dogs in LA - Nawww how wonderful that she's looking after her puppies who will probably get flattened on the road - when our vets and vaccines are going to developing countries to try to combat the street dog problem - good on them, too. Maybe they should start with sterilising Peta idiots in LA.

I came away with a very different interpretation. I didn't see the documentary as promoting street dogs at all. I thought it adequately showed some of the harsh realities these dogs face.