As She Ages

Kirislin

I had a really active SBT - always jumping, twisting and running. He had a lot of anxiety as well and never really rested - always on the alert and on his feet if I moved. When he was around 10 I started giving him morning massages while he was still a little sleepy, mainly to keep him relaxed him. I started the same with his mother who was 11. He was PTS from an injury a couple of years later and his mum was PTS shy of her 17th birthday. Neither had any age related arthritis or joint issues but the old girl developed some nerve problems in the last 6 months or so. I really believe the morning massages kind of warmed up their bodies, stretched their muscles and loosened things before they started their busy day. A bit like athletes warm up before they exercise. Can't prove it medically but I've continued the process with all the dogs I have had since then, including my current foster boy. The massages have helped him develop trust in us as he was hand shy and very nervous of unknown things. We do his at night as that is when he is most sleepy. So it has several benefits, plus it doesn't cost anything and the dogs don't say no! And my sister moved in with me 4 years ago and when her husky/shep cross lets me I massage her as well. At 8 she is showing no joint issues for a large and active dog. She is still doing zoomies with the younger two, bouncing off the furniture and flying over the stairs. Again I don't know if the massaging has helped her but it certainly hasn't hurt. I figure dogs must get a bit achy just like us at times from over exertion?

Good luck with Penny. The oldies are precious!