As She Ages

Kirislin

I always knew that when Penny started looking old it would happen fast, and it has. She will be 13 in May, and overall looks amazing for an aging dog, her mind is still bright and alert, she does her happy roll and squirm on the carpet first thing in the morning and she's still up for a game anytime, but I've noticed the last 2 or 3 months she occasionally looks like her back is sore and at night now when I ask her to move over, which she used to always respond quickly to, she is slow to react, I dont think it's disobedience, I think it's hard for her. Same thing when I tell her to get off my chair because I want to sit there, it's hard for her, she's stiffening up. I've also noticed she occasionally wobbles and loses balance.

What I'm wondering is, does this require a trip to the vet, or is it just to be expected as a dog gets old?

I've had one elderly whippet of my own (14 years), and watched my sister's Whippet aging to 14 or so. I also have a 23 year old cat, so I'm using my experience of her too, it's not a great sample but this is what I can say from that limited experience:

At that age, doing what they always used to can also "pull a muscle", they just seem more susceptible to injury from harmless activity. e.g. jumping up or down a lounge, chasing a ball, can lead to some sprains. Take her to your regular vet for a good check up. I did notice that there were a few wobbles with my elderly Whippet, she was 13-14. I noticed with both Whippets, their muscles around her hips weren't as strong,so they'd struggle on a polished surface, or on tiles to keep upright because their legs would slide out. Non slip mats and carpet were helpful. Getting out of squishy furniture is harder e.g. their favourite bean bag, the trick is to have bedding that protects against pressure sores, keeps them warm, but they can get out of. When my girl was really very old, and she was ill, I used to get up early to carry her out of bed for a toilet break, because she couldn't get up quickly enough to empty her bladder on a cold morning. She had a few accidents because she'd wrap herself in her blanket and then not be able to untangle herself, so her dignity was preserved by having me help her up! It was better for us both to help her out of bed, less cleaning, skin condition was preserved etc. My cat has penicillin shots a few times a year, as she reacts badly to minor infections, so I take her up straight away as soon as she isn't herself, before there are more definate symptoms of illness. The thing is with the elderly, to respond to minor symptoms as they can escalate really fast.

Some things to talk to your vet about would be :

If you watch your girl stretch is she able to do the full Whippet stretch or is she limiting herself? When she shakes herself out after a bath, is she moving freely, does she do the shake all the way along her body, when you pat her is there any points she pulls away from, is she better on a dry warm day, in the mornings etc? Is her hearing 100%? Sometimes they can get ear infections and not quite hear you so it takes longer to respond, eye sight is also getting less clear, so you may notice that if there is low light she might be slower to respond, because she is less sure of her environment. Don't forget to take "samples" if you can so the vet can check them too- they always ask when you haven't bought them!

thanks, I've never had a dog that got to this stage of life before.

I'd take her to a vet that knows about these things - most don't. Ray Ferguson at Monash is very good and owns racing greyhounds, so he understand canine physiology.

HI Kirislin, I have had quite a few aged dogs, some get arthritis and some don't.  Cartrophen injections are good but each dog responds differently, it works really well on some and not on others. It is a course of 4 injections given one week apart and usually last for 6 or 8 months, some even longer, but the thing is to get it topped up before the dog gets back to square one.  One of our girls will be 16 in July, and she had a kidney scare a few  years ago and was put on Hills Prescription  Diet K/D and she has never looked back, also she had really bad arthritis at the same time, and since being on the Hills she can get around as well as the others,  her hips are stiff and she can't move her legs apart, but can go forward and jump up onto the lounge.    So if you get in early with treatment, Cartrophen injections,  Sashas' Blend, shark cartledge, there a quite a few thing on the market to make their lives that much easier. 

Edited by Marion 01

• 4 weeks later...

My poor Penny, as if she isn't sore enough, now her ongoing, but occasional neck problem has flared up again. The last 2 nights she has been in alot of pain but seems not too bad during the day. I took her to the vet today and discussed her aging aches and pains as well. I thought he might prescribe something for the acute problem and something for long term but he's just suggested the one medication for everything, Meloxicam. I dont think I've ever given it to a dog before. I'm hoping it will do the trick.

My old ridgieX was on Metacam (meloxicam) from the age of 13.It was a wonderdrug for my boy and gave him back quality of life.We tried the cartrophen or carprofen(sp) injections but did not work for him.He was given his wings at age 16 with cancer but Metacam gave him arthritis releif for those three years.

My old girl Zeddy will be 13 in August, and there are days when she's a little bit slower to relinquish her spot on the bed or couch - but she's still up for short zoomies sessions with the foster pups most days. She has also started to go grey and her bark is a bit hoarser. I'm hoping for a couple more good years out of her yet. Luckily we aren't at the stage of needing supplements or pain relief for her creaky bones just quite yet, but I think this winter may see us starting her on something to make her more comfortable on those cold mornings.

T.

I'm not a huge fan of long term non-steroidals but sometimes its damned if you do, damned if you don't. It will certainly help her current problem though. Has she had bloods done recently?

My two oldies (will be 10yrs and 11yrs soon) are on daily glucosamine tablets, daily Sasha's Blend and regular cartrophen injections. I have definitely noticed an improvement, especially in my old girl.

When I had my old girl she was on a coctail of a few things just for being old. She had a fish oil capsule daily, sasha's blend (or similar) and also was having cartrophen injections periodically. It all seemed to help in terms of aches and pains. I also became quite vigilant about temperature in her last few months. She always wanted to sleep at the front door (as the 3 beds she had weren't good enough!!) - so that meant a carpet mat, plus a towel, plus another dog mat as I didn't want her joints getting cold. Even on hot days she was happy to sleep on these, she just wanted to sleep at the door! I also had her wearing a coat when the temperature was a bit cooler even though she was coated, obviously you would be used to coats but for me that was a big change for to make - being aware of the temperature and putting a coat on her even if it wasn't going to be "cold".

But everyone else has given good advice!! The other thing I did with my old girl was an annual blood test and also urine test (in the end she had diabetes and other stuff so we had to do this more regularly anyway, but it's good to do so that the vets have a baseline of her general health and it is easier to see if something crops up).

A dog I work with has just been changed on to Metacam and it's like she's done some anti-aging! Some days she is a pain to deal with because she's behaving so young and spritely as compared to being the old lady she was!!

I had an old greyhound with an ongoing neck problem & I found that the only thing she respomded to was Previcox. After an intial course I just needed to give it to her for a couple of days at the first sign of pain. It made a huge difference to her quality of life.

I now own 3 old greyhounds (one 14 & 2 12 & 1/2) & managing pain & discomfort makes all the difference.

My Staffy girl is 13, I know from earlier xrays she has bad elbows and bad hips. As soon as she started to struggle I put her on Rimadyl. She is on Onsior now, I would rather she had a good quality of life rather than a slightly longer one that is more uncomfortable. Metacam is good as you can reduce down to the lowest possible dose that seems to have an effect. Be guided by your Vet about this though.

Gypsy used to be on Cartrophen very regularly before her stomach tumour, now just green lipped mussel, as that and Onsior work very well for her.

Also she swims every week at Doveton in the warm water pool.

Have you had Georgia Davis out? She suggested some ladder walking for Gypsy (ladder laid on the ground) and things for keeping nerves stimulated.

There are lots of Glucosamine + Chondroitin supplements around, and fish oil helps with the absorption of them. :)

I'm not a huge fan of long term non-steroidals but sometimes its damned if you do, damned if you don't. It will certainly help her current problem though. Has she had bloods done recently?

My two oldies (will be 10yrs and 11yrs soon) are on daily glucosamine tablets, daily Sasha's Blend and regular cartrophen injections. I have definitely noticed an improvement, especially in my old girl.

Kirty I dont know what they do, can you please explain your concern? What are the negative side effects, he didn't say anything about them.

My Staffy girl is 13, I know from earlier xrays she has bad elbows and bad hips. As soon as she started to struggle I put her on Rimadyl. She is on Onsior now, I would rather she had a good quality of life rather than a slightly longer one that is more uncomfortable. Metacam is good as you can reduce down to the lowest possible dose that seems to have an effect. Be guided by your Vet about this though.

Gypsy used to be on Cartrophen very regularly before her stomach tumour, now just green lipped mussel, as that and Onsior work very well for her.

Also she swims every week at Doveton in the warm water pool.

Have you had Georgia Davis out? She suggested some ladder walking for Gypsy (ladder laid on the ground) and things for keeping nerves stimulated.

There are lots of Glucosamine + Chondroitin supplements around, and fish oil helps with the absorption of them. :)

I have had Georgia out when Penny had her first bad neck spasms but it was almost a week before she could come and by then Penny was mostly over it. She massaged her and could see she had restricted movement.

I asked the vet about Cartrophen injections but he wanted to see how she responded to the Meloxicam first. She certainly seems alot better but I'm not sure if she would be the same without the treatment, perhaps her painful episode had come to an end anyway.