Rehomed Dog Losing Weight

Kiwiflier

Hello, My wife and I have rehomed an older Great Dane, we have only had him a short time, We have been feeding him all sorts from BBQ Chickens, Sardines, Beef Mince, Steak, Brisket bones. at first he ate next to nothing for the first two days. we originally planned for his normal kibble and mince diet he was supposedly on. The kibble even the same brand he apparently was given he does not eat. We are feeding him twice a day he is 62.5 kilos and the vet would like to see him around 65 kilos. We are trying get him to eat around the 1.5 - 2 Kgs a day of raw diet.

Today he would of eaten around 1.5 kilos in two meals and 3 small brisket bones.

This weekend I will move on to giving satin balls a try, he will be missing his kennel mates, we have been home all week with him to try and adjust him as best we can. Can you provide any advice on how best we can adjust him and any ideas on getting his weight up we really want him to settle in and want the best for him.

If you have only had him a short time, and he is only 2.5kg under ideal weight, and he has been vet checked, I wouldn't be too worried about getting it onto him quickly.

I'd just get him into a good routine and onto a good balanced diet and let him settle in.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited by Diva

If you have only had him a short time, and he is only 2.5kg under ideal weight, and he has been vet checked, I wouldn't be too worried about getting it onto him quickly.

I'd just get him into a good routine and onto a good balanced diet and let him settle in.

Oh, and welcome!

Yep agree with this just be patient,over feeding or over doing wont get results quicker,getting that sort of weight whilst small can take months & alot will depend on his muscle condition,his activity level with you & the old place .So many factors

Thanks only have had him since Saturday, and are nervous parents :) . I have been in contact with Great Dane rescue and done lots of reading, googling. After posting last night went up to the supermarket and 10pm was making Satin Balls, he ate three of them then, and just back from the morning walk and he is about to have them for breakfast. thanks for the messages of support and hope in a week or two the big fella is settled in and enjoying his new home.

Relax, and enjoy your new dog :). Just let him work out his place within his new pack and begin to feel at home. That's about simply setting guidelines (have a good think about that one - how you want him to behave even when people are over and/or when he might need to go to someone else's house for a stay-over). Give that a good week at least. In the meantime, feed him but don't sweat over his weight. He might be a bit under but you might find his metabolism will improve once he begins to relax and understands where he is and with who. If you stress and fuss over him, he's only going to pick up your tension. So kick back, relax and enjoy him.

And if it helps any - sure, it's nice to have a dog at optimum weight. BUT, if optimum can't be had, I'd generally rather a dog be a tad on the under weight side than over as it is better on their heart and joints than it would be if they were over. So take it easy, and don't rush too much to try to whack weight on quickly ..... or you might wake up one morning and foooomph!, he's a fatty boombah!

Sounds to me this dog has landed a good home :thumbsup:

The best way to put weight on this dog is for you to relax & enjoy being with him.

Then he will relax & be happy too.

No stressing about his food & the vet is only giving his opinion on ideal weight. Like people some dogs are naturally leaner than others & 2.5 kilos isn't a lot in proportion to his size.

If that's him in your avatar he looks so much like one I had 20 years ago. They are fabulous dogs.

welcoem all of you. As others have said it is early days yet.. relax, let the big fellah settle and take his time to get comfortable in his new surrounds..

i had to smile over the BBQ chickens.. one of my rehomes a very elderly maremma ( Hairy Beary)would eat only BBQ chicken for the first month... i thought we were going to need to live on vegemite sandwiches if he kept it up.. but he settled in well eventually but still has a major weakness for BBQ chook.

BTW what is your boys Name????

He is a lucky dog to have found a caring and loving home

cheers

helen