Dog Stays By Deceased Owner's Side.

Blackdogs

That's so moving :cry:

Do you know more about what happened? I hope the dog has someone to love him.

I don't know about the origins of the video, the circumstances or what happened to the dog, despite enploying heavy use of google.

ETA: On a lighter note, google pointed me to several other stories of canine loyalty after their owner's death and in amongst those was a single link regarding a cat: "Cat eats deceased owner".

Does this end the cat vs dog debate? :laugh:

Edited by Blackdogs

And that guy was on the ground for so long and there were so many gawkers and people taking photos. Is that what happens when someone dies on the street over here? I thought the body would be moved as quickly as they had evidence and that the area would be cordoned off? Hopefully the man had family that the dog knew and it went to live with them. RIP unknown man.

Didn't look like it was in Australia to me...

I found my neighbour dead last year. His little JRT sat under his chair for 3 days. Eventhough she had food in her bowl she hadn't gone inside to eat. I stayed with them until the undertaker arrived and then sat with her until her other owner arrived. Then she ate some food. But unlike this very sad video - she is still much loved.

I found my neighbour dead last year. His little JRT sat under his chair for 3 days. Eventhough she had food in her bowl she hadn't gone inside to eat. I stayed with them until the undertaker arrived and then sat with her until her other owner arrived. Then she ate some food. But unlike this very sad video - she is still much loved.

How horrific for you. I am glad the doggy is ok. What happened to it?

regarding a cat "Cat eats deceased owner".

Don't laugh..

back in the 'old days ' bodies out bush here always had to be well covered or locked away somewhere before the cats found them ....

I have no doubt my cat would eat me alive if he thought he could manage it.

To Blackdogs, My friend who died had a wife. She was away at the time and still has her little treasure who is much loved. Yes, it was difficult at the time but I am glad I found him and not his wife as three days is not that good on a body. But it is not that sad as he was battling a heart condition and was scheduled to have a very long operation that he didn't want to endure. To die while sitting at your table, reading a mystery and listening to music with your dog by your side isn't a bad way to go. He had even had a big greasy bacon and egg brecky and didn't wash up the plates.

Edited by pepe001

To Blackdogs, My friend who died had a wife. She was away at the time and still has her little treasure who is much loved. Yes, it was difficult at the time but I am glad I found him and not his wife as three days is not that good on a body. But it is not that sad as he was battling a heart condition and was scheduled to have a very long operation that he didn't want to endure. To die while sitting at your table, reading a mystery and listening to music with your dog by your side isn't a bad way to go. He had even had a big greasy bacon and egg brecky and didn't wash up the plates.

Glad to hear of the happy ending. :)

My Mum died in her sleep last year. I dropped my daughter off on my way to the station and my daughter would usually go to school from Mum's house. When I was about to get on the train my daughter called to say she couldn't get Mum to answer the door. Door was locked from the inside. It was about 7.10am.

I came back to Mum's and we broke in from the back and found my dear Mum. While my daughter was waiting for me, she knew something was wrong. One of Mum's dogs slept in her room, in a little bed on the floor. This is the oldest of Mum's dogs. When my daughter usually got to Mum's, this dog would run to the door barking to see my daughter. This day, Judy didn't run to the door. We all thought this dog couldn't get up on the bed, she is a little dog.

Anyway, my daughter heard her jump off the bed and walk to the door, give a whimper, and then stop.

After the police, ambulance and fire brigade came and left, we were waiting for the funeral directors to come. I took each of the dogs into see Mum so that they knew why she was leaving. Might sound weird to some, but they licked her face saying good bye as I held them. As the funeral directors moved Mum, at the same time,the dogs were outside at the back door, all 3 of her dogs let out a great big howl in unison. These dogs never howl, and never have again. The howl lasted about 1 minute, and then they all suddenly stopped at the same time.

For weeks after that, I would find them all sitting on the bed, really quiet. They eventually stopped doing this, and the bed has gone now. And the little old dog who we thought couldn't jump up on the bed(we all thought this for nearly 5 years, a rescue dog), now jumps onto any bed she sees. :)

There were a few eerie things that happened after this day, which I won't bore everyone with, but I think some people have such a connection to animals, and animals to them, that it is amazing and wonderful.

That poor dog in the video, I so hope somebody helped the dog and gave it as much love as the little dog had to give to humans.

How sad.

The old terrier cross that we have with us was the result of the fire brigade finding him beside his deceased owners body. The firies kept shooing him away but he kept coming back to lay at his owners feet. When the station that attended the call found out that the dog had nowhere to go and was being surrendered to the pound the station decided to adopt him as the station mascot. Unfortunately the poor dog did not cope with the men on rotating shifts so he was going to end up back at the pound until my OH who was doing a relieving shift at the station heard about it and said if he was going to be surrendered to the pound that he could come and stay with us and the sheltie puppy that we had recently bought. Wags - who had to have a name change before he came to live with us ( did not want a dog called Riga although the OH tried to convince me it was the name of a glove that the fireman used and that the dog liked to play with). Wags has now been with us for 11 years and he is the most loyal dog imaginable - he has his quirks - does not like loud noises ie fireworks and storms.

If I go away a for a few days Wags sits by the door waiting for me to return.

My Mum died in her sleep last year. I dropped my daughter off on my way to the station and my daughter would usually go to school from Mum's house. When I was about to get on the train my daughter called to say she couldn't get Mum to answer the door. Door was locked from the inside. It was about 7.10am.

I came back to Mum's and we broke in from the back and found my dear Mum. While my daughter was waiting for me, she knew something was wrong. One of Mum's dogs slept in her room, in a little bed on the floor. This is the oldest of Mum's dogs. When my daughter usually got to Mum's, this dog would run to the door barking to see my daughter. This day, Judy didn't run to the door. We all thought this dog couldn't get up on the bed, she is a little dog.

Anyway, my daughter heard her jump off the bed and walk to the door, give a whimper, and then stop.

After the police, ambulance and fire brigade came and left, we were waiting for the funeral directors to come. I took each of the dogs into see Mum so that they knew why she was leaving. Might sound weird to some, but they licked her face saying good bye as I held them. As the funeral directors moved Mum, at the same time,the dogs were outside at the back door, all 3 of her dogs let out a great big howl in unison. These dogs never howl, and never have again. The howl lasted about 1 minute, and then they all suddenly stopped at the same time.

For weeks after that, I would find them all sitting on the bed, really quiet. They eventually stopped doing this, and the bed has gone now. And the little old dog who we thought couldn't jump up on the bed(we all thought this for nearly 5 years, a rescue dog), now jumps onto any bed she sees. :)

There were a few eerie things that happened after this day, which I won't bore everyone with, but I think some people have such a connection to animals, and animals to them, that it is amazing and wonderful.

That poor dog in the video, I so hope somebody helped the dog and gave it as much love as the little dog had to give to humans.

Ohhh Sumosmum, the video didn't make me cry but NOW I'm bawling. :grouphug:

Edited by LizT

That's so moving :cry:

Do you know more about what happened? I hope the dog has someone to love him.

I don't know about the origins of the video, the circumstances or what happened to the dog, despite enploying heavy use of google.

ETA: On a lighter note, google pointed me to several other stories of canine loyalty after their owner's death and in amongst those was a single link regarding a cat: "Cat eats deceased owner".

Does this end the cat vs dog debate? :laugh:

Love your style!