Barf Diet

Rilla-My-Rilla

I bought "Give Your Dog A Bone" back in the 90's and have fed my dogs according to Ian Billinghurst's recommendations ever since - they are certainly a lot healthier for it. I don't get the commercially-made BARF patties, but feed main raw meat, raw bones & veges.

I bought "Give Your Dog A Bone" back in the 90's and have fed my dogs according to Ian Billinghurst's recommendations ever since - they are certainly a lot healthier for it. I don't get the commercially-made BARF patties, but feed main raw meat, raw bones & veges.

Hey poodlemum, I have bought 2 of his books The BARF diet and The pup one, looking forward to them coming :-) .. I feed our boy Leading Raw Guide Dog approved patties mainly due to this is what the breeder had him on and it is convienent for me at this time and I'm a bit scared to go it alone lol.. Hoping after reading his books I will feel more confident :-)

But I joined a yahoo group raw feeding puppies and bloody hell I got slammed for feeding patties and and got slammed for getting the books lol so I left the group ... Glad someone else has read his book and I am hoping to get a lot out of them :-)

We've been feeding our two the barf since we got them, and they have been doing quite well on it (they're 7 months old now). At the moment we seem to be having trouble getting them to eat their vegies though. Almost every night they refuse to eat their dinner, and not because they aren't hungry. They've eaten all of the vegetables before, and I know that they usually like them, but for some reason they won't eat it. The only vegetable I know to avoid is Celery, as Holly refuses to eat it! They usually get a mixture of Carrot, lettuce, a little bit of cabbage, peas, corn, tomatoes, any over ripe fruit, green leafy vegetables, ect...

Hopefully it's just a stage they're going through! :)

I have read Billinghursts books and they are a great resource.

There is no single correct way to feed, I think most people eventually settle into what suits them and their dogs. There are a lot of feeding zealots both in the raw camp and in the commercial diet camp. :laugh:

I have fed ready made raw at times but find it too costly.

Due to necessity my dogs sometimes have to eat the so called crap in a bag and found what suits my purpose for those times.

I make my own barf food, but while I was on holidays with my dobe I bought the commercially prepared barf patties and was shocked at the cost- it was at least twice the cost of making it myself and I buy all human grade ingredients.

My boy has been on it since he was weaned (his breeder put me on to it) and he is pretty healthy and his bones have formed very well. He was desexed at 9 months so he is a little taller than the Dobe standard

I buy my guys the ready made patties... but they are little dogs so I don't find it that expensive.

If I'm honest thought I also like them because I don't have to think about anything... they get 1/2 a pattie each in the morning and some chicken necks in the evening and some other meaty bones on the weekends.

I wish I could find a resource where it told me EXACTLY what to feed (rather than feed A or B or C or D), and how much to feed. If I had this then I would probably move away from teh ready made patties.

I'm even like this with my own eating - I love programs where they provide you with complete meal plans as there is no thinking involved :laugh: I find with food that there is too much choice and then I can't make a decision and it's the same with feeding my dogs.

Hey poodlemum, I have bought 2 of his books The BARF diet and The pup one, looking forward to them coming :-) .. I feed our boy Leading Raw Guide Dog approved patties mainly due to this is what the breeder had him on and it is convienent for me at this time and I'm a bit scared to go it alone lol.. Hoping after reading his books I will feel more confident :-)

But I joined a yahoo group raw feeding puppies and bloody hell I got slammed for feeding patties and and got slammed for getting the books lol so I left the group ... Glad someone else has read his book and I am hoping to get a lot out of them :-)

some of those people on Yahoo are pretty intense :laugh: The only reson I never went for the patties was because, with 5 Standard Poodles, it worked out a bit exxy :eek:

I buy my guys the ready made patties... but they are little dogs so I don't find it that expensive.

If I'm honest thought I also like them because I don't have to think about anything... they get 1/2 a pattie each in the morning and some chicken necks in the evening and some other meaty bones on the weekends.

I wish I could find a resource where it told me EXACTLY what to feed (rather than feed A or B or C or D), and how much to feed. If I had this then I would probably move away from teh ready made patties.

I'm even like this with my own eating - I love programs where they provide you with complete meal plans as there is no thinking involved :laugh: I find with food that there is too much choice and then I can't make a decision and it's the same with feeding my dogs.

Borrow 'Grow your pups with bones' by Ian Billinghurst from you local library. It's got a pattie recipe in there that you can freeze, I suppose a bit like the bought ones.

I fed all BARF for quite a few years, until my new pup refused point blank to eat any veggie mix.

I then switched to feeding RMBs and kibble.

No issues at all with feeding BARF. It's more time consuming than feeding out of a bag but I think the dogs benefit from it.