Origins Of The J R T

sandgrubber

I came across this in http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-rev-john-russell-on-how-to-make-a-fox-terrier/ . . . thought some people might find it interesting. A related blog article is found at http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/smooth-terriers-were-often-crossed-with-bulldogs/

The Rev. John Russell was a parson in the Church of England. He had studied at Oxford and was given a parish in North Devon.

He was a fox terrier enthusiast and a founding member of the Kennel Club– yes. he was in the fancy.

But he was never fully comfortable there. Even though he helped write the standard for the smooth fox terrier, he never showed his own dogs.

He just wanted a good little fox bolter.

And he would later describe how he would create a fox bolting terrier, and this strongly suggests that the fox terriers, including the terriers which would eventually be given his name are partially derived from the bull-and-terrier types– pit bulls, if you will.

Russell describes the best way to create a fox terrier in this fashion:

"The process," replied Russell, "is simply as follows: they begin with a smooth bitch terrier; then, to obtain a finer skin, an Italian greyhound is selected for her mate. But as the ears of the produce are an eyesore to the connoisseur, a beagle is resorted to, and then little is seen of that unsightly defect in the next generation. Lastly, to complete the mixture, the bulldog is now called on to give the necessary courage; and the composite animals, thus elaborated, become, after due selection, the sires and dams of the modern fox-terriers. This version of their origin," continued he, "I received from a man well qualified to speak on the subject."

The bulldog blood thus infused imparts courage, it is true, to the so-called terrier; he is matchless at killing any number of rats in a given time; will fight any dog of his weight in a Westminster pit; draw a badger heavier than himself out of his long box; and turn up a tom-cat possessed even of ten lives, before poor pussy can utter a wail. But the ferocity of that blood is in reality ill suited—nay, is fatal—to fox-hunting purposes; for a terrier that goes to ground and fastens on his fox, as one so bred will do, is far more likely to spoil sport than promote it; he goes in to kill, not to bolt, the object of his attack (
, , by Edward William Lewis Davies, 1902 ed., pg. 54-55.)

So Jack Russells and other fox terriers likely do have some bulldog and bull-and-terrier blood.

And when you see someone who loves Jack Russells excoriate "pit bulls," keep in mind that the acorn didn't fall that far from the tree.

Who knows how much a Jack Russell is actually a bred down "pit bull'?

Edited by sandgrubber

I know my jrt will latch on more so than my friends dog who is supposed to be a pit.

I know he will bite..... Most people don't believe me and are scared of the over size daly I have.......mmmmm daly can't even kill something that he had caught because his mouth was open! He can only catch mice if they are dead or run near his open mouth, he is just like goofy, never closes his gob, if he did he might look smarter.

I remember a story I read as a child of a JRT who received an award for bravery in the U.K. He was out for a walk with his elderly mistress, who decided to cross a field, and unknown to her a rather large bull had been put into the field recently. The bull had a go at the old woman and had knocked her to the ground. The little JRT then grabbed the bull by the nose, refusing to let go!

Hearing the womans calls for help the farmer came and aided the old lady out of the field. Only when she was safe and out of danger did the little JRT let the bull go. :)

My JRT is a killing machine. She loves nothing more than catching and dispatching mice and rats with great delight, screaming in excitement during the chase. Her focus and intensity is like nothing I've ever seen before. It makes me glad that she is only 6kg and not a much larger dog!

Reminds me of this show I saw once. I can't remember if I watched it on TV or YouTube, but this is the main clip:

This man takes his JRTs to get the rats out of a shed. I kind of hated watching it, but the dogs are awesome!

Reminds me of this show I saw once. I can't remember if I watched it on TV or YouTube, but this is the main clip:

This man takes his JRTs to get the rats out of a shed. I kind of hated watching it, but the dogs are awesome!

That is exactly what Flash does, grab and shake, then move on to the next one.

Great video :)

My stafford plays with a friends JRT, the play style is so similar it did make me wonder at times if they were a bit more closer related. I used to say it was the terrier in them.

Our old JRT cross had a great temperament, really good with kids and other dogs. But small animals didn't stand a chance :( I don't think that I would have ever taken the risk with him with a chi.

He was great at catching mice like that video though.

My JRT is also very loving and affectionate. She is good with kids and just loves people. She is fine with other dogs but she doesn't like her personal space being invaded by rude, pushy dogs.

At our house she is the highest ranked dog and she certainly puts the sometimes clumsy and excitable Dobe in his place. We also have 3 cats who she gets along with no problems, but she also likes to boss them around too. Her nickname is 'bossy bitch' :D

It was on tele not so long ago on a show called Martin Clunes "A man and his dogs". (you can get on DVD - well worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it).

I only saw a few episodes of it but what I saw was fascinating and I did see this video in it. Those little dogs are amazing and extremely efficient at what they do.

My JRT is also very loving and affectionate. She is good with kids and just loves people. She is fine with other dogs but she doesn't like her personal space being invaded by rude, pushy dogs.

At our house she is the highest ranked dog and she certainly puts the sometimes clumsy and excitable Dobe in his place. We also have 3 cats who she gets along with no problems, but she also likes to boss them around too. Her nickname is 'bossy bitch' :D

Ah, you gotta love the little terriorists! :thumbsup:

We had a group of small children visit today...... It went as predicted. The smallest dog the foxie cross followed and intimidated the smallest child. Had her in tears a dogie child as well. Dumbmatians were fine, once intro was made.

Oh a well should have had the local dog catcher here seeing he's so anti vicious dog!

Lol, I think that this is why I love the JRT so much, they certainly have attitude :laugh: