From The Vault

Boronia

I saw this article this morning and emailed QPS Museum to ask if I could pop it in here.

I can, so here it is:

http://qpsmedia.govspace.gov.au/2012/02/07/from-the-vault-a-police-officer%E2%80%99s-best-friend/

FROM THE VAULT – A police officer’s best friend

February 7, 2012, 10:00 am

There is no doubt that sworn dogs are integral to Queensland Police work across the state. However we should not forget that dogs also formed part of an officer’s family especially when they were posted to small stations in outback Queensland.

Technically these canine companions were not trained as police dogs but more than likely were used for police work if the situation called for it. Some single officers posted to one man stations, would have undoubtedly found the companion of a dog to be a blessing.

post-26505-0-99600100-1328672307_thumb.jpg

Constables Thomas Clines (left), and Herman Schnitzerling (right) heading out on patrol, Mossman, 1911.

The following is written on the back of the photograph featuring Constables Clines and Schnitzerling:

3rd May 1911

Dear Mother

I am forwarding to you a schnapshot taken whilst out on Patrol, The two dogs take a good photo, the black dog on the right hand side of my friend (far right of the photo), is my best beef hound, I am breaking it in to heel the drunks this crushing season. The fellow walking behind is our black tracker, following us out to catch his horse. Good bye with kind love to all at home, from your son HB Schnitzerling.

More on next post

Edited by Boronia

post-26505-0-88677000-1328672467_thumb.jpg

Senior Sergeant Charles James Perrin, and his dog, 'Paddy' outside what is possibly Gladstone Police Station, c1931.

post-26505-0-55697300-1328672507_thumb.jpg

We do not know the identity of this police officer or at which police station they are located, but the dog’s name was written on the back of the photograph as 'Bell of Bookah', c1934.

This information has been supplied by the Queensland Police Museum from the best resources available at the time of writing.

The Police Museum is open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 3pm on the last Sunday of the month (Feb-Nov) and is located on the Ground Floor of Police Headquarters at 200 Roma Street, Brisbane.

“A police officer’s best friend” by the Queensland Police Service is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (BY) 2.5 Australia Licence. Permissions may be available beyond the scope of this licence.http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/legalcode

Edited by Boronia

• 3 months later...

I hadn't visited DOGZONLINE for a while but that second pic is very Murray like. It is also a very important picture. We have only tracked down one other historical picture in Qld and it was probably around Makay about 1880.

It demonstrates that there were Murrays in Qld at least 70 years ago, probably just not as many as down south as early on they were kept mainly for their working ability. They mostly worked ducks but have been many were found to be all round hunting dogs. They will retrieve track and point. So maybe a few made it up north!

In our Yahoo group at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/MRCCR/ we have many photos including an historic album with pics going back to circa 1860. The earliest we have found reports of a brown coloured curly retriever in in the 1840s in Hobart. Murrays we suspect were the retrieving dog of the common people or poachers in the UK. Some of these dogs went to the USA and developed into the Americal Water Spaniel and others came here and became Murrays. Yet in their country of origin they died out. There was also a similar dog in Germany which I believe still exists called "Deutscher Wachtel Hund"

I would like to thank the original poster for posting the link.

I hadn't visited DOGZONLINE for a while but that second pic is very Murray like. It is also a very important picture. We have only tracked down one other historical picture in Qld and it was probably around Makay about 1880.

It demonstrates that there were Murrays in Qld at least 70 years ago, probably just not as many as down south as early on they were kept mainly for their working ability. They mostly worked ducks but have been many were found to be all round hunting dogs. They will retrieve track and point. So maybe a few made it up north!

In our Yahoo group at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/MRCCR/ we have many photos including an historic album with pics going back to circa 1860. The earliest we have found reports of a brown coloured curly retriever in in the 1840s in Hobart. Murrays we suspect were the retrieving dog of the common people or poachers in the UK. Some of these dogs went to the USA and developed into the Americal Water Spaniel and others came here and became Murrays. Yet in their country of origin they died out. There was also a similar dog in Germany which I believe still exists called "Deutscher Wachtel Hund"

I would like to thank the original poster for posting the link.

Hi D_mentias, you could contact the lovely woman, Lisa Jones, Curator, Queensland Police Museum. I contacted her to ask if I could post (another article) from the QPS Museum on DOL. She may have other info and photos about Murrays.

Worth a go. Here is their/her email address: [email protected]