Border Collie Name Ideas?

Rilla-My-Rilla

Think about what activities you will be doing and avoid names that sound like commands. Eg. in obedience you use words like heel, sit, stand, stay and in sheep trialling you use stop a lot so you wouldn't call a sheep dog "Spot".

I suggest you wait until you see the puppy. Sometimes you pick a name and it just doesn't suit. I chose Gina in advance for my first bitch, after her grandmother. It didn't suit her. Her registered name was Wildfire so I tried Cinders but it ended up being Cindy. When I kept a daughter from her, the daughter became my Gina.

Fly is a very common Border name so not one I would choose. I prefer the unusual when I can think of something. My last wonderful girl was Dharma, which means perfect behaviour or the divine rule and it suited her perfectly. I also like non-human names if I can think of something appropriate.

Don't worry about strange names, i called another litter pup 'Captain Snooze'

I'm guessing Captain Snooze was sleepy? :laugh:

Yes :laugh: She was my silver and black sweetheart :love: Her new owners called her Phoenix :D She was the last born and almost died at birth so i always kept a special eye on her :) When she wasn't leading the way to naughty adventures in the backyard she was snoozing off her little head :heart:

I think a name will come to you.

Doesn't have to be named as soon as it arrives home. Just get to know it and name will come.

I like a whole range of names. I like short names. I like names that are feminine for girls (usually) or people names, I like unusual names an traditional names.

But when it comes time to name one, the criteria can change

I have

Dash

Cricket

Abby

Tiesha

Pip

Blondie

Jock

Lass

Have had

Jess

Sam

Bess

Pixie

Penny

Chinook - Chooka

Zeke

So there is really no theme with them at all. Just what comes to mind

My vote is for Desi!! That's a great name and goes with here breeder name.

we have a Star wars theme, so we have Jedi(Jed) and Lando, our next one will probably be Wicket or Han. Having a theme defiantly helps, there are endless options out there. I'm sure you'll know as soon as you see her.