Wrinkly Dogs

wantsapuppy

1328515052[/url]' post='5712447']

I was under the impression that folds and wrinkles can cause "hot spots" and that these were often a cause of concern in some animals.

I have not heard of any Shar Pei having hot spots due to the wrinkles. Only ever due to allergies. Same as many other breeds

Edited by Cat

1328515052[/url]' post='5712447']

I was under the impression that folds and wrinkles can cause "hot spots" and that these were often a cause of concern in some animals.

I have not heard of any Shar Pei having hot spots due to the wrinkles. Only ever due to allergies. Same as many other breeds

I found this.

Hot Spots

Hot spots can be caused by moisture becoming trapped between folds of skin (acute moist dermatitis) or they can be caused by an irritation to the skin that starts a cycle of itching, scratching and chewing (pyotraumatic dermatitis).

Skin fold hot spots occur when moisture collects or becomes trapped between the skin folds. More common in dogs with loose skin such as the Chinese Shar Pei, St Bernard, and Bulldog, these types of hot spots typically appear in the summer when the conditions are hot and humid and moisture on the skin does not dry properly. Typical for a hot spot is rapid onset, areas of hair loss, and reddened skin that is moist and oozing. Sometimes the skin will be crusty and scabbed, and there can be intense itching. A common place on the Shar Pei to watch carefully in the summer months is the top of the head, above the eyes and between the ears. This brow area tends to retain wrinkle in adult Chinese Shar Pei and during the hot and humid months can become irritated from retained moisture. Antibacterial solutions (chlorhexidine) or drying solutions, and astringents will dry the area, combat infection and decrease itchiness. If caught in the early stages, when the skin is moist and has just begun to become red and irritated, a medicated powder (Gold Bond) rubbed into the skin and between the wrinkles can also be used to dry the area and prevent infection. It is important to use a medicated powder that will dry the area and not a cream or ointment that will simply trap more moisture. Think of it as being similar to human feet that sweat in the summer with moisture being trapped by socks and shoes. If caught in the early stages, a medicated powder rubbed on the feet and between the toes will dry the skin and prevent infection. If the hot spot condition persists, or if not caught and treated in the early stages, a secondary bacterial skin infection can develop and must be treated with oral antibiotics.

Hot spots can also be caused by something that irritates the skin and starts an itch, scratch cycle. The most common irritants are fleas, bug bites, burrs or contact allergens. In severe cases the skin can become extremely irritated and itchy, causing intense scratching that must be stopped to prevent self-mutilation from occurring. Just like with humans who have a mosquito bite that they continue to scratch until the area is raw, bleeding and very painful, severe hot spots can cause your dog to scratch even when it hurts. Such intense itching and scratching must sometimes be treated with a cortisone type injection or short term steroid type oral medications to relieve the itching so the area can heal. Remember that any type of steroid treatment will cause increased thirst and increased urination. Make sure your dog has sufficient water and increase the number of trips outside to help prevent accidents in the house.

Very important to note: if steroids or cortisone type medications do not stop the itching and scratching almost immediately, you are NOT dealing with an allergen or hot spot type condition. Demodectic mange (as discussed above) in some cases can also cause intense itching and scratching that will not be relieved by steroid medications and must be treated differently.

The only dog I have seen that had serious issues with skin folds was a Bulldog that came into the kennels I worked at, he had very tight rolls just above his nose that we had to clean in twice a day, it was very sore and red looking :(