Lab Paw Question

GSJ

Thank you all your help. Really appreciate it :). Got our new Labrador pup, and vet checked and all good.

img20120211170545.jpg

img20120212143858.jpg

Now need think of a name, hehe family is coming up with some weird ones.

Just a question, pup is not eating its Royal Canin (read around, it was recommended). This morning and last night we fed the food we got from the breeder (some mince meat + dry food (didn't eat all of it) and some milk later on).

Edited by GSJ

Just have to say ... Wow! someone did a great job with the garden! :D

It's a good plan to keep a new pup on exactly what the breeder was feeding.,and the same amount, same feeding times etc. (It should have been written down for you in the info the breeder sent home with pup).

After a couple of weeks..you can gradually wean it onto the food of your choice :( Too many changes are not good for a baby , and it may lead to an upset tummy.

Did the breeder suggest milk? It's not necessary , when the pup is fed a good puppy kibble...and unless it's puppy milk/lactose free milk, it may also cause an upset tummy.

He is cute, I hope he came from a breeder that does all the relevent testing.

As said before try not to change his food from what he was being fed, or do it gradually over several days, dont forget he is settling in so may not want to eat too much just yet..........and yeah ditch the puppy milk, they dont need it once they are weaned, as this would fill him up as well, then he wouldnt eat his proper meal.

As for the garden, I hope you dont expect it to stay that way :laugh: ..............or maybe that is the front yard :D

Let us know his name when you decide.

I find labs shed more then goldens, I've also been told goldens mature earlier then labs. Both my golden retrievers were fairly easy to train even without the need for food. I got my male when he was 8 weeks old within a week he new sit and was working on drop. Shelley I got at 14 weeks old she took to training easy learnt sit within a week too,drop within couple of days. My whippet Missy on the other hand is stubborn and sometimes won't listen. Golden retrievers do require a brush at least once a week. The labs coat is lower maintaince.

I find goldies shed more. Guess it depends on individuals.

Guide Dogs has tried both breeds. They use an occasional golder Labrador (ie, cross) but they find that if you use good lines, Labbies have more stable, unflappable temperament. I saw a scientifically done study on this some time back, but can't find it now.

Just have to say ... Wow! someone did a great job with the garden! :D

It's a good plan to keep a new pup on exactly what the breeder was feeding.,and the same amount, same feeding times etc. (It should have been written down for you in the info the breeder sent home with pup).

After a couple of weeks..you can gradually wean it onto the food of your choice :( Too many changes are not good for a baby , and it may lead to an upset tummy.

Did the breeder suggest milk? It's not necessary , when the pup is fed a good puppy kibble...and unless it's puppy milk/lactose free milk, it may also cause an upset tummy.

Thanks :) It's all Dad's work. Yeah, we spoke to a friend he recommended softening the food by using some water, and it worked. He smashes it down.

He is cute, I hope he came from a breeder that does all the relevent testing.

As said before try not to change his food from what he was being fed, or do it gradually over several days, dont forget he is settling in so may not want to eat too much just yet..........and yeah ditch the puppy milk, they dont need it once they are weaned, as this would fill him up as well, then he wouldnt eat his proper meal.

As for the garden, I hope you dont expect it to stay that way :laugh: ..............or maybe that is the front yard :D

Let us know his name when you decide.

Thanks, yeah. Don't give it milk anymore, he seems to be good.

Haha hopefully it does! On the first day he was chewing every plant he could find. Now there are certain areas he prefer.(Already some destruction).

Yeah it is a the front yard, but there are more plants in the backyard. Any suggestions how to keep him away from all the plants?

Haven't picked a name yet! Its hard, little brother doesn't like anything. Should decide by tonight or tomorrow.

Cute :)

Hope you took all the advise and went with a good breeder in the end .

Thanks he is cute, he bites your hand like there is no tomorrow.

Haha after photos, lol maybe see how it goes.

Beautiful puppy and beautiful garden:). It looks like it might be a front yard to me, that may be a letter box I can see.

Been picking him up, he sheds, see yellow hairs everywhere.