Dog Proofing Help Please

Rainy

Hay guys im a little stuck with idea's on this so i thought id toss it out to all.

On tuesday i came home to find the conduit (sp?) and power cabel chewed off the hot water system :eek: Im now counting my blessing's that neither of the dogs were elctrocuted.

For now im going to crate them when we are out but i need to figuer out how im going to fence off the hot water system. The biggest issue with this is that i cant change / dammage the brickwork to much as we are in a rental and they have a hissy fit over picture hooks :rolleyes:

So here are some pic's what would you do? or how would you make it Stafford proof?

77a3f8f5.jpg

d6368522.jpg

I use the bunnings compost panels to fence off anything that I don't want chewed.

I use large plastic containers full of water to tie the panels too if there is nothing else. Of course the plastic containers need to be on the inside of the fenced area if they are likely to chew it!

I'll go get a pic to show you what I mean ;)

Edited by raffikki

wire mesh fencing, attached to the brickwork (and remove and fill it in before you go). If you get their permission they might be fine with it as it won't impact the aesthetics of the house (and picture hooks do). Whatever you decide, you need to keep airflow around the heater so you can't box it in.

Raffikki, that could work but id proberbly need to use concret rater then water Cheers :D

Buddy1, im not entierly sure what you mean the power cable is in a pipe that is threaded behind the copper pipe's but she was still able pull them out and chew them.

Nekhbet, off to google crib stop :D

:banghead: crib stop, i know what that is i have used it for my old horse just couldnt rember the name :laugh: Cheers :D

Well with a combination of fencing and crib stop i should be good Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Edited by Rainy

I use the bunnings compost panels to fence off anything that I don't want chewed.

I use large plastic containers full of water to tie the panels too if there is nothing else. Of course the plastic containers need to be on the inside of the fenced area if they are likely to chew it!

I'll go get a pic to show you what I mean ;)

Good option as you can maintain easy access to hot water service incase any work needs to be done to it. The compost panels do lots of jobs here too! Currently using some to block off access under the house as OH has run wire around most of the back of the house but not possible in a couple of places.

Think Bunnings compost panels or puppy pens are too fragile for these dogs.

I would buy 3 tall permapine posts from a salvage place ( about $8 each ) & sink them in the ground in a triangle shape, one each side of tank & one in the centre & either pack with dirt or use ready mix.

Then I would get some heavy duty aviary wire (tall) or sometimes in the salvage places you can pick up strong metal panels like concrete reinforcing, & attach the wire ( similar to the pic in raffikkis post ) to screen the tank off.

Think Bunnings compost panels or puppy pens are too fragile for these dogs.

I have two, almost 3 year old amstaffs, and the bunnings compost panels have been a god send!!

The can bend a bit if they are really forced, but I think they would do the job for Rainy....along with the crib stop :thumbsup:

I tie them together with wire, not electrical ties, and they have protected many things in my yard :D

Edited by raffikki

You've probably already got a solution, but if you havent been able to find anything out that works, there are always the good old Bessa blocks (concrete blocks) that you can stack around the base of the water unit. They're heavy and cheap, and because they stack, it could be an easily removed structure. You could use landscaping liquid nails to join the blocks together. If you need something even more stable, stack them on their sides (takes more blocks though).

You could block access to the entire side of the house that the water heater is on, if that's possible.

Another idea is to make concrete blocks that a temporary fence can stand in, like the commercial temporary fences.

Edited by Whippetsmum