Possible Luxating Patellas?

Reggie my Kelpie pup (now 8 months old) I got him from the RSPCA at 10-12 weeks.

Since then he has a few incidences with his joints. (patellas and elbows)

The first one happened when he was 4-ish months old, he was lying at my feet in front of the couch, and when he went to get up he SCREAMED for a whole minute. His left hind leg was stiff and very resistant to manipulation :eek: A couple of minutes later he was fine.

This happened twice, and I though it could be either his hips or knees.

A vet visit wasn't particularly productive, vet thinking it could be a luxating patella (it was loose but not slipping in and out) but said that it was usually only found in small breeds? :confused: He was given a course of cartrophen shots and I was told to keep an eye on him, that hopefully he would grow out of it.

Now it seems to be a rare occurence for him, but sometimes he still has some problems eg. slamming into a chair = screaming and stiff leg, sometimes getting up (maybe too quickly?) and it has also happened during a couple of rough play sessions.

Well, to sum up my extended rambling post = Does the diagnosis of luxating patellas sound plausible? Should/can I be doing anything to help prevent it re occuring? and will it effect his ability to play/do obedience, agility etc?

Our springer has a mild case so far, it first happened after a 'flying leap' to catch something and she landed on it yelping straight away but a min later was running around fine. I didnt know anything about it but the vet did say it was mostly in smaller breeds. She is a field springer and is only about 16kgs, she now has a 'funny gait' flicking the leg out at times to prevent it popping out, which it hasnt done for months.

Not sure what we would do if it gets worse as no way we could keep her quiet after a big op she is a springer after all, still prances all around the place, it doesnt really bother her, she is turning 3 in july.

Sadly it's quite common, but what is also common is the varying degrees to which some dogs will carry it.

Some get through life with low level slipping pattelars that pop in and out without causing any real concern to them. Sometime all you will see is the dog stretching out one back leg, pretty normal for a dog and usually not any indication of concern. Some, however get worse as the dog gets older (obesity being a huge enemy here). Some become worse because they cannot hold up to vigourous exercise or even a bad landing when catching a ball can offset a dodgy knee.

Edited by LizT

I have never heard of LP in Kelpies but it definitely occurs in Aust Cattle Dogs. It can occur in any dog following injury but the hereditary type is usually confined to toy/small breeds or large breeds with straighter stifles than average.

The fact that this puppy had elbow problems as well could be an indication that there is a problem with all the joints due to incorrect nutrition in the early weeks. The very worse case of hip and elbow displasia I havever heard of was in a Newfie crossbred that was rescued at 4 months from neglect. His collar was embedded into his neck as he grew. By 6 months he couldn't walk. He was put down and the autopsy revealed all deformed joints most likely due to incorrect diet. The vets had never seen anything like it before.

I would be trying to find a new vet. Luxating patellas are possible- but the fact that he screams when he hits things could mean that there is more than just that going on. My Kelpies regularly hit things at high speeds and don't yelp, they have also injured themselves (torn ligaments fractured bones etc) and not even limped. Perhaps you could keep a diary (I always put notes on my calendar) to try and build up a picture of when these things happen- is it in conjunction with a cold day etc.

You need a diagnosis before you try doing agility with him.

Our Shar-pei has had patella surgery so I agree it is not limited to small breeds. I see you are in Brisbane - there is a fabulous physio who practices out of UQ,Issy has been seeing her since her recent hip operation (she also has hip displasia). I only wish I had known about her earlier.She is very good - I'm not sure about posting her details here because of rules about advertising but am happy to send them if you pm me;or if anyone knows if it is ok to post them let me know and I will put them up. You need a vet to refer you but she will take referals from any vet.

Thanks for all the input, I hqve been thinking about taking Reggie to a different vet (possibly the one who did a tto crucite surgery on my BC).

I also think i shall keep a record/ diary of his happenings to. Sometimes his gait seems 'off' to me but I may just be paranoid!

When I got him from the rspca he was rather skinny and certainly looked like he needed some tlc.

In general he is a very soft dog, doesn't like being yelled at or manipulated physically ( eg mqde to sit) . he also cries if he gets snapped at by other dogs and creates a hell of a ruckus over vaccinations! sigh..... so maybe he has/ also has a low pain tolerance? ( Or is just a giant sook!)