Alternative Vaccinations?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so hope I've posted this in the right place!:)

I'll be getting my first Border Collie pup in a couple of months and just had a few questions about vaccinations. The breeder will have the puppy vaccinated at 6wks, two weeks before she comes home with me. I don't really want to continue her vaccinations, as I don't like the side effects they can have, or how often they are given the shots.

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with alternative vaccines, such as homeopathic ones, and how they went with them?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks,

Sarah :)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so hope I've posted this in the right place!:)

I'll be getting my first Border Collie pup in a couple of months and just had a few questions about vaccinations. The breeder will have the puppy vaccinated at 6wks, two weeks before she comes home with me. I don't really want to continue her vaccinations, as I don't like the side effects they can have, or how often they are given the shots.

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with alternative vaccines, such as homeopathic ones, and how they went with them?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks,

Sarah :)

Your only option is to give a second vaccination at 12 weeks. Find a good vet and discuss which brand/type you want to go with.

Vaccines are really important at keeping your pup safe, and stopping the spread of disease.

ETA- if you wait till 12 weeks then that may be the only vaccine your dog will need for life!

Edited by Jumabaar

I don't really want to continue her vaccinations, as I don't like the side effects they can have, or how often they are given the shots.

A lot of us feel the same way ...BUT parvo virus will kill your pup ..and a course of vaccines when young are known to be effective in preventing this.

(I use a lot of 'alternative' treatments, but no way would I rely on them to try & prevent parvo.)

there has been similar discussion on D O L previously ..maybe have a read

LINK

LINK

LINK

As long as you have done your research and are comfortable with your decision you can give your pup just the parvo vaccination, it is readily available. Your breeder might not be happy though, depends if vaccinations are covered in your sale contract.

From my understanding the protocol for puppy vacs is the 1st one at 8 weeks old then 12 - 16 weeks old. The 6 week vac is thought to be affected by the mum's antibodies. Look up Jean Dodds, she's done a lot of work on vaccinations.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Disregard the rabies vaccinations.

Edited by luvsdogs

From my understanding the protocol for puppy vacs is the 1st one at 8 weeks old then 12 - 16 weeks old. The 6 week vac is thought to be affected by the mum's antibodies. Look up Jean Dodds, she's done a lot of work on vaccinations.

http://www.itsforthe...C-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Disregard the rabies vaccinations.

You might also want to ask your local vet about distemper. It is almost extinct in some parts of Australia. It has been a big problem in Southern California, where Dr Dodds lives, because native fox and coyote populations can carry it. This is dynamic. The grey fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus . . .not closely related to the fox you have in Oz) suffered a horrible distemper epidemic some years back, and the disease moved into the unvaccinated dog population. The fox has bounced back . . . presumably now a much more resistant species.

Homeopathic remedies are NOT a substitute for vaccinations.

I have recently seen a case where people tried homeopathy instead of puppy vaccines and the poor pup ended up with parvo.

IMO you should complete the full course of puppy vaccs and then Titre test at one year.

I've read of people who vaccinated their pups and they still contracted parvovirus anyway......:confused:

Homeopathy is pretty gentle, so if I used it, I'd be careful where I took my pup before it was 12 weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone....

Sarah

Pups that have an appropriate immune reaction to the vaccine may still have parvo enter their system, but they will have antibodies and memory cells pre programmed to fight the infection causing it to be eliminated before the pup can get sick.

Pups teated with Homeopathy do not have these antibodies and memory cells so will contract parvo and suffer the full disease course. This is a risk until the dog has developed natural immunity and well beyond 12 weeks in an unvaccinated dog, regardless how gentle the treatment you use- it just doesn't offer any protection.

Please discuss this with your breeder so that they can make an informed choice in selling you a pup.

Parvo is the most vile disease. The hardest hit victims are young unvaccinatd animals.

My dogs all receive their initial course and then are titre tested. I do not vaccinate after that.

However I would not be prepared to sell a pup to some one who was not prepared to at least do that, IMO it is irresponsible and puts the pups life at unnecessary risk.

I've read of people who vaccinated their pups and they still contracted parvovirus anyway......:confused:

Homeopathy is pretty gentle, so if I used it, I'd be careful where I took my pup before it was 12 weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone....

Sarah

Pups that have an appropriate immune reaction to the vaccine may still have parvo enter their system, but they will have antibodies and memory cells pre programmed to fight the infection causing it to be eliminated before the pup can get sick.

Pups teated with Homeopathy do not have these antibodies and memory cells so will contract parvo and suffer the full disease course. This is a risk until the dog has developed natural immunity and well beyond 12 weeks in an unvaccinated dog, regardless how gentle the treatment you use- it just doesn't offer any protection.

Please discuss this with your breeder so that they can make an informed choice in selling you a pup.

Totally agree Jumabaar!

If you do decide not to vaccinate your puppy and use homeopathy instead (which I would not recommend), I would not be taking the puppy outside my home for a long time- at least until they have a mature immune system which can be up to 18 months. Even then an unvaccinated dog is at risk of contracting parvo, but being older would hopefully be able to better fight the infection. Still, its not a pleasant disease, I do not know why you would not try to prevent it using evidence based medicine???

There is a tiny risk of a vaccination reaction compared to a considerable risk of the puppy getting sick if not vaccinated at all.

BTW I am not totally pro-vaccination in adult dogs and support the use of titre testing to see if it is actually required but I do feel strongly about owners completing the course of puppy vaccinations

I take a minimal approach to vaccination.

I vaccinate puppies at 6-7 weeks when they're with me, and then vaccinate again at 18 weeks, and that's it.

(I'd actually prefer to drop out the 6-7 week vac, but I think most puppy buyers would be unhappy about that arrangement. I still am uncomfortable, and maybe one day I'll have the courage to NOT vaccinate at that age.)

If I wanted to vaccinate even less, I'd consider giving a Parvo vaccine at 18 weeks only.

Parvo is a 'puppy disease' that kills, and I wouldn't be willing to compromise protection from it.

I take a minimal approach to vaccination.

I vaccinate puppies at 6-7 weeks when they're with me, and then vaccinate again at 18 weeks, and that's it.

(I'd actually prefer to drop out the 6-7 week vac, but I think most puppy buyers would be unhappy about that arrangement. I still am uncomfortable, and maybe one day I'll have the courage to NOT vaccinate at that age.)

If I wanted to vaccinate even less, I'd consider giving a Parvo vaccine at 18 weeks only.

Parvo is a 'puppy disease' that kills, and I wouldn't be willing to compromise protection from it.

Thanks Leema :)

I don't in any way want to risk a pups health; I'm not against conventional vaccines, but I'm also open to other options.

Nothing is really going to be as good as puppy vaccinations, if there was we would be using it. The benefits outweight the risks when it comes to puppy vaccines. I've had a dog with Parvo and never again. Sit there day in day out watching your dog get thinner and thinner, pooing and vomiting itself to death... it's not worth it. It's also not just a puppy disease - most adult dogs wont be hit with a full whopping case of it because they HAVE been vaccinated. There is the odd adult dog that has been under vaccinated that has contracted it.

As for Distemper, it IS more common then you think. A few ferrets have died from it last year/this year and it too is a vile disease with really no cure. Ferrets and dogs need to be vaccinated for it as when one gets it, they all will, hence why any new ferret we get is in strict quarantine for at least a month.

I have worked in an area when a lot of people cannot be bothered vaccinating their animals to the full, especially young ones. It should be mandatory at least for puppy/kitten.

Bingo. If you dont want to vaccinate you would have to be careful for the rest of that dogs life IMO and henceforth it wont really be allowed to go to dog schools, boarding kennels, dog play groups etc.