What Should I Do? .. If Anything..

Poison

I remember a thread a few months back, a girl saying her flatmate had allowed her byb Lab to get out while on heat, had no money for vet bills etc... a few people said to go and get her desexed and they were flamed because she wasn't the OPs dog...yet here it's a different story

It's only a different story if people on that thread are on this one and giving different advice :D

Lol'so'true

I dont think he's interested in breeding for the money. The only thing he says is how its such a good looking dog, so cute etc.

I think he'll just give the pups away to his friends - the same way he got given this dog.

I have a strangely close relationship with my brother.

I can talk openly about things with him - but there are just some things that i cant seem to get through to him.. like this for example!

Im not worried about this straining our relationship at all. Reality is, he'll probably be upset for 5 minutes.. give me a hard time for getting him desexed, ill tell him how irresponsible he is .. then he'll forget it ever happened.

I am not in a position to home the dog. I have a dog myself.. and to be honest - im not a fan of small dogs.

Understand everyone's opinion that i should not get involved.. but its really not fair on the dog. I doubt my brother would be able to prove ownership anyway, plus i dont think it would get that nasty. You have to remember - he doesnt care about this dog to abandon it the way that he has - so unlikely he will pursue this in the court of law! =/

I wont rehome the dog - i think i might be pushing it at the moment..

Edited by Poison

If he's dumped the dog on his parents then I really doubt he has that much of a leg to stand on. Talk to your parents about getting him desexed - after all, he's their responsibility now, not your brothers. Unless the dog's only been placed with them with a clear mention of temporary minding, then I feel your parents have every right to get him desexed. From what you've said, it doesn't seem like he'll give that much of a crud anyway.

You know Poison no one can really give "advice" unless they know the whole dynamics of your family and your relationships with each other. They can only imagine what they would do in your situation and the possible scenarios and outcomes that may result.

You will know what advice best fits your particular circumstance and I think the best thing is to ask your brother what long term plans he has for the dog and is he being fair to it?

Since you are close to your brother, talk to him and ask him if it is possible to rehome it with someone who will love it, then you won't really have any trouble convincing him to have it desexed first, as it will be easier to rehome. And regarding "Giving the pups away to his friends" which is how he got the dog in the first place...well that worked out real well didn't it? ;)

Edited by LizT

If the dog lives with your parents and they are paying for his/her food, vet bills and responsible for walking and caring for him/her, I would think that the decision should be theirs. Personally, aside from suggesting that the dog be desexed I'd be staying right out of it.

The dog sounds a bit like a Shetland Sheepdog from your description.

I dont think he's interested in breeding for the money. The only thing he says is how its such a good looking dog, so cute etc.

I think he'll just give the pups away to his friends - the same way he got given this dog.

I have a strangely close relationship with my brother.

I can talk openly about things with him - but there are just some things that i cant seem to get through to him.. like this for example!

Im not worried about this straining our relationship at all. Reality is, he'll probably be upset for 5 minutes.. give me a hard time for getting him desexed, ill tell him how irresponsible he is .. then he'll forget it ever happened.

I am not in a position to home the dog. I have a dog myself.. and to be honest - im not a fan of small dogs.

Understand everyone's opinion that i should not get involved.. but its really not fair on the dog. I doubt my brother would be able to prove ownership anyway, plus i dont think it would get that nasty. You have to remember - he doesnt care about this dog to abandon it the way that he has - so unlikely he will pursue this in the court of law! =/

I wont rehome the dog - i think i might be pushing it at the moment..

My opinion, ask your parents or your brother to get it desexed. Just because the dog is 'cute' or '1 in a million', he's going to let the cycle of more and more puppies repeat? If so, I believe that 60, 000 pups can be produced out of this...correct me if I'm wrong, I was only listening to 'It's Me Or The Dog' :laugh: Get him to take a look at the 'Urgent Rescues' part of the forum, and see how many healthy dogs are being put to sleep, simply because there are too many dogs. It's really not fair what he's doing, and seeing as you have quite a close relationship, if you or your parents get the dog desexed, I'm sure it won't get messy. Good luck, and I really thank you for taking the dog, and all dogs of Australia's best interest into consideration :)

take your brother out for a drive and stop off at the local pound, if the pound has some small cute fluffies that's even better. Not for the ones already in there but they can be used to hopefully change your brothers mind.

If your parents have the dog clean & groomed, walk him a few times a week & have him inside & around them for company then they don't have to do anything else with him. They may be bonding despite not being doggy people, it happens.

If he is shoved out in the yard & left alone then its different.

I would suggest to your parents that he needs desexing so he doesn't pee all over & hump things, the dog may not but they won't know this.

Get a price & offer to take him in for them.

Plan B take dog, you pay, desex, book in your name. I have never had a vet check a microchip to make sure it is my dog in my name no matter where I have been or for what treatment.

If your parents have the dog clean & groomed, walk him a few times a week & have him inside & around them for company then they don't have to do anything else with him. They may be bonding despite not being doggy people, it happens.

If he is shoved out in the yard & left alone then its different.

I would suggest to your parents that he needs desexing so he doesn't pee all over & hump things, the dog may not but they won't know this.

Get a price & offer to take him in for them.

Plan B take dog, you pay, desex, book in your name. I have never had a vet check a microchip to make sure it is my dog in my name no matter where I have been or for what treatment.

That was my thought as well. A quick word about the dog starting to mark or hump may be enough to encourage them to want him desexed.

In my opinion, if you dump a dog on your parents and give them all the responsibility, you parents own the dog. If there's no microchip and no puppy papers, what's the vet going to say?

Exactly.

This dog was given to the parents, therefore they are now fully responsible for its welfare. It is their dog. If they get the dog desexed, nobody will stop them or do anything about it afterwards.