American Soap Star Commits Suicide

SkySoaringMagpie

If he was suffering with a mental illness and it started as harassment from other tenants and continued for many months, rather than someone just turning up with a notice saying the dog has to go, then he may not have been able to think about the situation rationally and thought there was no other way out.

Compassionately and well said, Snook. The boldened bit is generally the reason people commit suicide research shows.

Why didn't he just move house?

Very sad when anyone takes their own lives but yes, he had many other options available to him. Clearly a damaged and sad individual. :(

Why damaged. These comments are harsh and lacking in compassion.

Geez, a couple of harsh/ignorant opinions!

No wonder people with mental health issues keep it to themselves.

I'm pretty sure the guy didn't put to sleep his dog KNOWING that would lead him to take his own life.

People committ suicide for many different reasons, I just feel very sad (and angry) at the harassment he received over the dog.

Agree, Bite Me.

Guest lavendergirl

The trouble is that people seek to apply logic to explain what happens in these type of situations. People with mental health issues often cannot think logically. He was probably panicked into putting the dog to sleep and then could not face what he had done. Poor man and poor dog.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my post, but the pure lack of compassion/understanding (and sometimes plain ignorance) when it comes to issues with mental health astounds me.

I don't think you need to apologise.

It's like people in the not so distant past (and probably still is with some people) saying, "Just get over it." Or, "Pull yourself together."

I can't recall if the article said the time between the dog's death and the man's, but however long it was, that period of time would have been pure anguish for the man.

No matter what the cause, surely we can feel compassion for that sort of suffering.

The trouble is that people seek to apply logic to explain what happens in these type of situations. People with mental health issues often cannot think logically. He was probably panicked into putting the dog to sleep and then could not face what he had done. Poor man and poor dog.

Sounds like 'maybe' he already had preexisting issues, depression or other mental illness and this pushed him over the edge. Poor guy...very sad :(