Great Dane X Pharaoh

sas

Pharaohs are being irresponsibly bred and "homed" unfortunately, and have been for a little while now. I am not at all surprised.

Yes, I know what you are talking about, and we would like to see it stopped toooooooo.

But unfortunately when dogs go to new homes up the bush and possibly in an area where Pig Dogs are sought after this cross will happen.

Also we must remember it is not illegal to cross breed dogs in this country and until it is we have little chance of stopping this practice.

If these dogs had been de sexed before leaving home the problem would not have arisen.

I know of one Dane breeder who also has pharaoh hounds....

Oh! I didn't even think of them.

I just find the whole thing disturbing as the breed traits aren't complimentary so it's only the dog that loses out.

I just thought given that the Pharaoh is not a c ommon breed someone might now what's going on whose involved with the breed.

What a horrendous situation. Someone tried to surrender a Bull Mastiff / Ridgeback "purebred" to me they bought from a "breeder" nr Canberra. It was huge and dog aggressive .... There should be a law against this, it won't stop until breeders start getting their puppies desexed before rehoming and really, it's too late now.

Edited by dogmad

Pharaohs are being irresponsibly bred and "homed" unfortunately, and have been for a little while now. I am not at all surprised.

Yes, I know what you are talking about, and we would like to see it stopped toooooooo.

But unfortunately when dogs go to new homes up the bush and possibly in an area where Pig Dogs are sought after this cross will happen.

Also we must remember it is not illegal to cross breed dogs in this country and until it is we have little chance of stopping this practice.

If these dogs had been de sexed before leaving home the problem would not have arisen.

Agree. I mostly posted because I've seen about 4 posts here and on OzShow in the last few months saying how weird it is to see a Pharaoh in rescue or being crossed for hunting. If you're in NSW, it's not unusual at all.

What a horrendous situation. Someone tried to surrender a Bull Mastiff / Ridgeback "purebred" to me they bought from a "breeder" nr Canberra. It was huge and dog aggressive .... There should be a law against this, it won't stop until breeders start getting their puppies desexed before rehoming and really, it's too late now.

Do you mean desex prior to 8wks?

We mean before leaving home. For goodness sake we don't vaccinate till 8 weeks these days. Most vets (other than the RSPCA ones, who have been de sexing since 6 weeks of age) won't touch till the pups are at least 10 weeks or older.

Most ethical breeders won't sell a puppy unless they have a signed contract of non breeding or the puppy is not capable of being bred from.

We mean before leaving home. For goodness sake we don't vaccinate till 8 weeks these days. Most vets (other than the RSPCA ones, who have been de sexing since 6 weeks of age) won't touch till the pups are at least 10 weeks or older.

Most ethical breeders won't sell a puppy unless they have a signed contract of non breeding or the puppy is not capable of being bred from.

Its fine! I was only asking what you meant. I agree, but as always ethical breeders will never make up 100% of the breeder population :(

Its fine! I was only asking what you meant. I agree, but as always ethical breeders will never make up 100% of the breeder population :(

Unfortunately you are totally correct. :)

Question: Pharaoh Hounds are quite rare in Australia right?

So whose in QLD breeding them with Great Danes?

Apparantly they make excellent pet /working guard dogs???!!!!

Not from my POV. Said to be, but that's not the reality of things.

Far too common recently. As far as I know Ibizans are beng used in crossbreeding for hunting in southern states as well.

Wow, I've only seen 1 or 2 Ibizans in NZ. Some very unusual breeds end up bring crossbred here as pig dogs too though (unusual for NZ at least), things like Thai Ridgebacks and Catahoulas... Not seen any sighthounds except for Whippets and Greyhounds so far.