Going Away For Two Nights.... Best Option For Dog? Help!

chichihuahua

Hi all,

Just a quick one. I am going away for two nights, leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday noon. So basically away for Friday night and Sat night. I'm just trying to work out the best option for my dog.

1) Initially was going to leave him with a friend who has another dog and a very secure house. I've already taken him over to her place and introduced him to her dog and they have gotten along perfectly fine, had a great play etc. So that would be okay, but I'm still concerned about a few things.

Aside to that one visit, he hasn't been there before so would be largely unfamiliar with her house etc. Leaving him for two nights I am concerned he will be stressed and nervous. Also worried about him peeing and pooing everywhere... he is toilet trained but their house is large, and he's not used to their dog door. The pros of having him stay at hers is so that he has a dog friend to play with

2) My other option is to leave him at home and get a friend to come over instead. My thought is that since I am leaving Fri noon, I will walk him nice and proper before I go, and then have someone come to feed him again in the evening, play and maybe walk him again. And then Sat feed and walk him, and I'll be back on Sunday. Potentially they will stay over both nights.... but if they didn't, would that be a problem do you think??

What is my best option?? I also have to add that he is an indoor dog, and at my house he has a dog door and access to outside for toileting.

Guest donatella

If you can get someone to stay at yours that would be ideal otherwise I would leave at a friends. I'd get worried about mine being home alone and lonely or some accident happening and them not being found for hours.

I get the stresses just leaving her to go to work

Hi chichihuahua. :)

I've done both.

Both worked out fine.

I would take option 1 because:

It's good to give your dog different experiences.

It might be rough at your friends house the first time, but next time your dog will know what to expect.

There is someone watching your dog 24/7.

I left my big dogs by themselves for several nights with short visits by a pet sitter (friend) to feed and make checks etc, but I would not leave a small dog alone.

Good Luck

i would go with 2. At least you know your yard is safe and the dog cant get out.

I have been pet sitting for 8 years and only ever had one dog not cope with it who ended up in a kennel.

I also leave mine home when i go away

When we get away I have a friend stay ON they get a free feed and access to our 300 stong DVD collection. If we are away for more than 2 night we pay them $50 to stay there. plus access tot he goodies. It works for us - though we are rarely both away at the same time.

Edited by Tapua

How old is your dog?

If you have a youngish dog I would choose option 1. The one thing I wish I did with my two is have them stay at a variety of different places (ie. friends and families houses) for a few nights when they were young to get them used to changes in routine like this. That way I think as they get older they are better able to cope with these kinds of situations.

My dog just turned 5 so not too old. Am leaning towards option 1 as it's already been arranged and seems like the most social option for my dog out of the two. The second option is more for myself.... so I know for certain he is safe and fine! But am thinking he will probably have more fun in scenario 1.

Okay, thanks guys!

My dog just turned 5 so not too old. Am leaning towards option 1 as it's already been arranged and seems like the most social option for my dog out of the two. The second option is more for myself.... so I know for certain he is safe and fine! But am thinking he will probably have more fun in scenario 1.

Okay, thanks guys!

:thumbsup:

Its always good to try to consider what your dog would like.

For me it depends a bit on the age of the dog as well. If I was going away for two nights (not any longer) when Mac was younger I'd happily leave them here at home with a friend checking in on them twice a day. Now Mac is older (he'll be 13 later in the year) I prefer to leave them at home with a full-time house-sitter (mothers are good in this regard!).

Failing that they go off to trusted friends with westies and I return the favour whenever its needed.

But the overall prefernce these days is for them to come with me if at all possible. :)

Okay, thanks guys!

I think at 5, it's highly unlikely he'll have accidents in their house. If they're dog savvy they'll know when he needs to go out even if he can't use their dog door. Just make sure they know his usual routine :)