Tibetan Mastiff

Atanquin

I used to know someone that showed them and loved to admire her dogs but they are a deadly serious guard breed and not one I would recommend as a pet.

I'd have to agree, they are a lot more dog then your standard pet owner could handle IMO.

I wanted one until I got to know my friends dogs and showed/met others of the breed.

I wouldn't own one now if you paid me!

Beautiful to look at and admire but not a cuddley teddy bear.

Beautiful dogs but way to much dog for me. Great website Mita, if I ever had thoughts of owning a TM one look at the 'destructive TM's' photos was enough to bring me to my senses:) Naughty Spencer! And that TM that ate the door!! Imagine coming home to that:)

The info in that link sounds so similar to my Anatolian x Maremma, except a bit more extreme.

Whilst I wouldn't change anything, dogs like this can be a handful. My Aussie just wants to please me, she is so easy, my boy however :rolleyes:

Think very, very hard about getting a dog like this, they are much better out of suburbia, if only due to the barking, they do not want to please you, they want to please themselves, they won't always come when called and cannot be let off lead, teaching them tricks/obedience is frustrating as they don't see why they should do what you're asking.

Also the destruction is something to keep in mind, my dog isn't even as full on as a TM but we have had a destroyed mattress, 2 rooms of destroyed carpet, a mobile phone, a coffee table and chair all totally annihilated....lucky we don't spend much on our furniture ;)

If that's what you want then by all means go ahead, if not though, it could be a mistake.

Good luck with your choice though and if you do decide to get one we need copious amounts of pics :)

Edited by Aussie3

FRom the website Mita linked to, this would be the clincher for me:

TMs are highly protective of their family and their property. Your friends may not be able to walk into the house. Your children's friends may not be able to come to play. Many TMs will not permit anyone other than a very few, very well-known and accepted people, to walk into their house.

Your TM may not listen to you when you tell him or her that it is "OK". They know better than you do.

Although TMs are extremely independent, they are also extremely sensitive to your moods and to the moods and emotions of any of the family members. TMs may not wish to be present when you are disciplining your children. Do not fight in front of your TM - they will become very upset.

Just playing a bit Devil's Advocate. :) The American Tibetan Mastiff folk wisely gave the most 'full on' description of owning a TM as a pet on that website. Because it helps warn off anyone but the most able & willing to deal with any of the possible extremes.

Those TM people have a great reputation for being knowledgeable, responsible and committed to the breed.

I heard of them because the American Tibetan Spaniel Association thinks so highly of them.

Interestingly, that American Tibetan Spaniel Association also has, on their website, a listing of why a Tibetan Spaniel might not be the breed for a particular owner. They, too, set out some possible 'extremes'.

But as a long time Tibbie owner, I haven't seen those 'extremes' in our dogs. Or the traits are very mild and no great problem in our lifestyle.

One big difference, of course, is size. As Aussie said, some of the TM warnings sounded a bit like her dog....but the TM has that much more mass to do things with. Like Sujo said... eat the door. :)

The Rescue page of the American TM group shows the variation & how the individual dogs differ across the traits.

They rate each dog across the traits and give an honest account of its background and needs.

Interesting reading if you click the pics of the TMs....& they're far enough away in the US so you can't go adopt :)

But, just hypothetically....would there be one that'd tempt you & maybe fit your circumstances and ability to manage? My choice would be Mesa with Reggie to complete the pair.

http://www.tibetanmastiffrescueinc.org/rescue-a-tibentan-mastiff.cfm

Edited by mita

Thanks for all the info guys, I would have to get OH keen on the idea first and still not sure I want another guard dog for a while I love them to bits but you do have less freedom and if I want to travel a little bit it would stress me out.

I got a cocker because

1) I love gun breeds

2 )wanted an active dog

3) good around other animals like horses but not birds ;)

4) altho very loyal and totally dedicated to their human companion they will be happy being looked after by a friend or family as log as they get lots of cuddles :)

If we ever wanted to go somewhere kovu was always a problem if we where gone more than 2 days he would then start to pine an would not eat his food no matter who he stayed with.

So i would not get one till we had our own house as we would be paying that off and not doing much traveling.

ATM zorro is great he missed me when I went away for the weekend but still had fun with my mum and got spoilt!! Also easy to take with us as he is not a big dog do less stress for me.

I will still get him a girl freind and little black and tan cocker. But like I said when I get my own place I might another guarding breed :) and yes I will post pic of both lol thanks for all the info on them it's be great reading and good to know what I would be thinking of add to my dog family :)

Guest lavendergirl

There is currently an adult pedigree Tibetan Mastiff advertised for sale on Brisbane Gumtree. Perhaps there is a breed rescue? Such a shame to see such a special dog sold like that.

Just noticed it says it is for sale by a registered breeder though the reason given is that the home is not suitable :confused:

Edited by lavendergirl

Yes, I looked up the ad & was puzzled that it says Offered By: Registered Breeder. Or does the advertiser mean he came from a RB.

Sounds a nice fellow, described as good with kids & dogs, quiet, loving & somewhat lazy.

I'll send the ad on to the Qld registered tibbie breeder who used to own a Tibetan Mastiff.

Guest lavendergirl

That would be good Mita. After reading this thread I am concerned that this fellow will end up with the wrong owner.

That would be good Mita. After reading this thread I am concerned that this fellow will end up with the wrong owner.

I also sent it to the President of the Tibetan Spaniel Association, asking if she knew any registered TM breeders she could send the ad on to. Instant reply....yes, she does....& she did so straight away. :thumbsup:

Guest lavendergirl

I also sent it to the President of the Tibetan Spaniel Association, asking if she knew any registered TM breeders she could send the ad on to. Instant reply....yes, she does....& she did so straight away. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Lets hope the original breeder gets a heads up that this boy is being re-homed.

Hhmmm...

Tricky question.

I am not surprised by the responses and they are quite common when this question is raised about large breed livestock guardians.

Of course, the replies are quite correct but if the dog has caught your interest, then you may not be so easily deterred.

I was not put off getting a Maremma despite some heavy recommendations about an inability to understand or manage an unknown breed.

But what I find intriguing is the thing that attracts us to a particular dog in the first place.

I don't think it is just superfically because we like the appearance of the dog.

There is something else, its like the challenge and mystery and the sense of confidence in being able to master the task.

Its all unspoken but it is deep and multilayered.

My Maremma could not be better candidates for illustration.

The great overpowering rambunctious brute I was told to expect turned out to be a total and complete pussycat.

The wrong temperament for a Maremma?

No!

I asked for a companion and her breeder knew what she was doing.

The second dog was very highly strung and took considerable work.

But he was what I was expecting a Maremma to be.

However, he has mellowed into a lovely gentleman.

My puppy girl on the other hand doesn't have a peer when it comes to 'working' temperament.

Too far the other way?

Not at all.

She was raised 'on farm' and was left to do what Maremma do best.

She has not disappointed.

However, in town, because she has been brought in to the Vet and other places she is a complete lady.

Nevertheless, if she is walking with the other three dogs out in the street she needs to be muzzled.

Dangerous dog?

Well don't exaggerate 'protective.'

She was born and raised looking after the other dogs and that's what she does.

Notwithstanding her 'guardian trait' I have been able to curb here zeal to chase off what she deems threatening and unwanted.

So my point is this.

The breed temperament of a dog is only a potential.

The dog, in the hands of the right person, possibly the person who finds an intrigue in its stature, is simply clay.

The dog will be what you make it.

Regards

Px

Edited by Tralee