Toy Poodle And Barking

Jamesmc

Have just become a member, but have been viewing posts for some time. We have a gorgeous, much loved Toy poodle who has just turned 13 months. The last couple of weeks he has found his barking voice, after being relatively quiet for the first year. Could this be because he hasn't had alot of exercise lately as i have just had a knee operation. Or is it common at this age to find your bark. If so would love some ideas on how to curtail his barking.

He is probably bored. If he was a yapper, like some are, it wouldn't just start now.

My gorgeous Katy is the absolute worst & so high pitched.

Teach him a quiet word. Like Quiet, Quit, Shh. Choose just one word.

When he barks get his attention by clapping your hands (I do this one), banging something, a whistle or a spray bottle (mean but harmless) or some other method & say the word.

When he responds praise.

If he doesn't respond repeat. Smart dogs they soon learn it however not all obey for more than a minute but some do. Try & break the habit now before it sets in. More games like throwing things I guess for now.

Poodles are very smart, and need things to think about/do , aside from a walk. ..They also pick up really quickly what gets them attention!

What are good things to do, other than walks and playing fetch? :confused:

Distractions are good, interactive toys are something I have found poodles love as they enjoy working out their brains as much as their legs.

I know there are mixed opinions about laser pointers but mine love it, would happily chase it around the house for hours and the best part is... I don't have to move. They know when it is gone as I give a command (gone) when "dot time" is over to avoid obsessive compulsive behavior and make a point of showing them I am putting it down (yes, they know where the dot comes from, clever little beggars).

Tumble balls are fun, I have one that has a motor inside it so it wobbles around the floor on it's own. Once they get bored with chewing it it springs back to life and shoots across the floor getting them interested again, mine was $15 from Woolworths. You can also get them made for kids with a fluffy weasel attached to them.

Clicker training is great for smart dogs - see Shirley Ching. Allso, I started a threw in training re; exercising reactive dogs . The info applies to all dogs, especially if walks are off the table (just ignore the muzzle debate). I'm on my iPhone so searching is hard, but just click on my profile, go to "fing my content" and filter by topics started by me.

Poodles like activity and being very intelligent if you dont give them that activity, they will create it. Sounds like thisd one knows how to push your buttons. I no doubt when he barks he gets a reaction from you. Thus he has succeeded! You have been drawn from what you were doing & now all the attention is about him! Poodles need interaction. Even if you cant walk him due to injury create games to keep him active. When a friend of mine couldnt get around she strung a balloon in a doorway as a toy, hid pieces of food around the room & encouraged him to seek it, various fetching games, bought her dog some interesting toys.