Those "do Not Eat" Packs

B-Q

Just found Quinn chewing on one of those silica "Do Not Eat" packs you get in some foods or vitamins or shoes or whatever. We are usually really careful to make sure they are all thrown out straight away to avoid this but we obvisouly missed one.

How worried should I be? I don't think she condsumed much of it, what (if anything) should I be watching for?

Just found Quinn chewing on one of those silica "Do Not Eat" packs you get in some foods or vitamins or shoes or whatever. We are usually really careful to make sure they are all thrown out straight away to avoid this but we obvisouly missed one.

How worried should I be? I don't think she condsumed much of it, what (if anything) should I be watching for?

found this on a vet site :

SILICA GEL PACKS

Desiccant packs are included as moisture absorbents. They are found in shoe boxes, electronics, medications and food. Occasionally, desiccants might be used as an insecticide, particularly for slugs. Silica gel, one of the most common desiccants, is a white powder or a lustrous granule. Silica gel comes in paper packets or plastic cylinders. Packages of silica gel are attractive to pets because of the rustling noise, and the packages are easy to bat around. Most ingestions will not cause clinical signs, although a mild gastrointestinal upset may occur. If a large amount is ingested, there is potential for osmotic diarrhea occurring. In most cases, the packet will be ruptured and the contents ingested. Ingestion of the intact packet may cause a gastrointestinal obstruction.

http://www.ridgeanimalhospital.com/holidayHazards.htm

I always worry about those things that go in the bottom of meat trays to soak up the blood. They go straight into the garbage, but they must smell awfully nice to the dogs. Does anyone know if these are dangerous if ingested :confused: Possibly, I guess, as they are already swollen with meat juices, then the gel would probably pass straight through :confused: