Why'd It Do That?

Kirislin

I always plug my camera in to the computer, the way the manual recommends, to download my photos, I've been doing it the same way ever since I got my first digital camera. Just now, I do what I've done thousands of times and my computer says it has to install the software! why would it have needed to do that? How could it have lost the information it had used for years?

I had 2 Canon's at one point, and the Canon software got very confused about it. I uninstalled the software and edited the registry to remove all trace of Canon, but my PC will still not read either card while in the camera. I purchased a card reader, and now just pull the card from the camera and stick it in the reader to transfer the photos instead...

T.

Im guessing from your photo's you have an EOS?

Are you using the EOS Utility to download your pic's or the generic "Windows" downloader?

If using the later it will quite often go an look for "new" software updates available which makes it appear there is no software already in use, happens all the time to me with different USB Mass Storage things liike iPhone's, USB Sticks and my backup HD's.

NEver had it happen with my EOS utility! It seems to be pretty solid when im Downloading even with a full 8GB card download with RAW pic's in one hit...could try a uninstall and fresh install if its giving u issues!

Probably a silly question but have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes it can reset itself and fix odd things happening.

Does your laptop /computer have a memory card slot? I pull the memory card out of my Canon, put it staight in the laptop and copy my photos that way. I then don't have to worry about software to download the photos.

Hopefully you can fix the problem, don't computers drive you crazy sometimes!

Im guessing from your photo's you have an EOS?

Are you using the EOS Utility to download your pic's or the generic "Windows" downloader?

If using the later it will quite often go an look for "new" software updates available which makes it appear there is no software already in use, happens all the time to me with different USB Mass Storage things liike iPhone's, USB Sticks and my backup HD's.

NEver had it happen with my EOS utility! It seems to be pretty solid when im Downloading even with a full 8GB card download with RAW pic's in one hit...could try a uninstall and fresh install if its giving u issues!

Yes, I use EOS utility and my pics are RAW. It downloaded them OK in the end, a bit slower than usual but it all seems OK. It's just never done it before and I must have done this thousands of times. I was worried I might lose all my pics but they're still there. Phew!

Time for a backup, methinks!

yeap agreed, whenever something "quirky" happen's I always perform a backup, sometimes its a sign things are about to go wrong,

If the EOS utility gives u another "scare' I would uninstall and reinstall it, that will normally fix things up for you nice and quickly!

Edited by Aussie Boxer