Depression

*Alicia*

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for helping my Akita who I think has depression.

Tommy is 4years old and I'm his third home.

Since a puppy he has had a show career, I'm his 2nd retired pet home now for over 6mths. He was at first a little depressed which I expected. However now after a month away in Vic on my parents farm sitting their female Akita of the same age we are back to sad face.

He changed a little just as my parents came back from Europe of course happy to see their dog, tommy seemed to get more attached to me as if saying " her mum and dad are home now, can we go home?" almost a bit of home sickness. If I was inside and he was out he would do laps back and forth to the back door looking for me.

We have been home now for a 2weeks and he just see a little down, I still take him out to my horses daily, take him on walks every afternoon, but he just dosnt seem himself.

Right from the beginning he has developed attachment issues/ separation anxiety eg: has to follow me everywhere around the house, howls in a mourning tone when I put him out for the day while I go to work ( different if my partner puts him out after I have already left and can't keep him inside as he jumps all over everything and wees and poos in the house despite back door being open and house trained). Everyday I come home from work it's cuddle time constantly for him, climbing up on my lap for a good 5+ mins of hugs and pat time.

His food appetite is still good, just not that playful waggley tail self.

I just want to help him, would another dog help or would he feel put aside by this despite sharing attention (normally is the one wanting all the love, I would say he is like the child; that whenever you go somewhere visiting he hugs onto your leg while sitting down chatting constantly wanting your love and attention.

He jumpy/ startled nature when touched has also increased as of late. He is a real soft sensitive dog.

Any help would be appreciated, very hard to explain everything. Just want him to be happy.

Alicia

Hi, and welcome :)

I suggest the first thing is a thorough vet check .. (not just heart/lungs) checking vision/hearing etc as well ..because deteriorating/unreliable sight or hearing can cause problems...also maybe get a blood profile done .. just to see if there is anything odd happening?

I would also suggest, if you can, to enlist the help of a professional (behaviourist) who can see the dog, and his behaviour, and do an assessment , then provide you with help and strategies to cope.

just my suggestions...

:)

Hi Alicia,

oh poor dear Tommy!

My dog Digby has Depression; he was diagnosed by a behaviourist.

Digby is a rescue dog; his original owners mistreated him and took out their anger on him. Digby learned to try to be invisible and he learned that being happy or excited led to punisment, so he suppressed those feelings.

After seeing the behaviourist we are now on a special program that is designed to alleviate his depression and make Digby know that it is safe for him to be happy.

He has come a really long way and is so much happier!

I reccommend you see a behaviourist; they can do an assessment on him and see whether he has depression or something else going on; then give you a treatment/training plan to help.

If you say whereabout you are people can reccommend a good behaviourist near you.

I took Digby to see K9pro.

Edited by raineth

How awesome is Steve Raineth :thumbsup:

I am curious from your post and the OP's how is depression diagnosed in a dog ?

Is is just the sad face (Tango sometimes has this) or is it a reduced interest in all daily activities and change in appetite etc which in a very generalised sense are markers for human depression?

Are there different markers etc for a dog that would point to depression ?

Sorry to high jack but I am very interested in reponses as I have often wondered if my two are depressed - I liken my two to being only children with very old parents - who may not have the fun and high energy factor of young kids / family to play with :D

Is is just the sad face (Tango sometimes has this) or is it a reduced interest in all daily activities and change in appetite etc which in a very generalised sense are markers for human depression?

Sorry to high jack but I am very interested in reponses as I have often wondered if my two are depressed - I liken my two to being only children with very old parents - who may not have the fun and high energy factor of young kids / family to play with :D

Truly depressed dogs are pretty obvious just looking at them. A friend of mine had a bitch with post natal depression. I didn't quite believe it until I saw her. The change in her attitude and facial expression was startling. She looked like a different dog. She was treated with prozac and recovered completely. Once medical causes are ruled out depression is diagnosed and can be treated with medication. Respomse to the medication confirms the diagnosis.

Edited by dancinbcs

Yeah the behavioural markers for depression are very similar to that in humans :)

So Digby had (still has to a degree) flat affect and learned helplessness. He also slept all the time, and took little to no interest in ejoyable things (like you suggested).

These are all things that are usually present in Depressed people.

As well as that he just oozes miserable.

His diagnosis covered the above things.

Digby is not on medication... although that was on the cards. K9pro said that Digby doesn't have any opf the markers that suggest he has some genetic predisposition for depression; so maybe that is why he is responding so well to the activities and exercises we have been given that aim to improve levels of serotonin in his brain and create new pathways.

hmmm are you sure your labs aren't doing that classic lab pleading look to gain cuddles and food double lab love :laugh: they are very good at the human manipulation those labs :D

edit for pleading, not pleasing!

Edited by raineth

Wow - I guess that is another from of depression that i would never have expected a dog to suffer from...

Poor little love - glad she is back to herself now..

Yes - in this case the medication proved the diagnosis..

I guess they way my two carry on around water on their daily swim - esp Tango - they don't look depressed...

let's not even talk about walk time or dinner time :)

I think Tango just has a tendancy to a " sad sack face" and sucker me probably falls for it plus I also think they now recognise work days and bung on the pathetic faces as we go to walk out the door :)

Not silly my two...

Yeah the behavioural markers for depression are very similar to that in humans :)

So Digby had (still has to a degree) flat affect and learned helplessness. He also slept all the time, and took little to no interest in ejoyable things (like you suggested).

Digby is not on medication... although that was on the cards. K9pro said that Digby doesn't have any opf the markers that suggest he has some genetic predisposition for depression; so maybe that is why he is responding so well to the activities and exercises we have been given that aim to improve levels of serotonin in his brain and create new pathways.

hmmm are you sure your labs aren't doing that classic lab pleading look to gain cuddles and food double lab love :laugh: they are very good at the human manipulation those labs :D

Raineth - thank you for the clarification re dog depression..

I was curious about the correlation to human depression and symptons..

It's great that you can increase serotonin levels without medication - other than the side effects that sometimes result with medication - the plus side is that he would be much happier doing more activities that make him smile :)

My heart just broke when you described how he tried to make himself invisible..he has probably forgotten how to be a dog :cry:

I think you hit the nail on the head re my two....just posted before I saw your new post..

You are spot on :laugh:

It's great that you can increase serotonin levels without medication - other than the side effects that sometimes result with medication - the plus side is that he would be much happier doing more activities that make him smile :)

My heart just broke when you described how he tried to make himself invisible..he has probably forgotten how to be a dog :cry:

I think you hit the nail on the head re my two....just posted before I saw your new post..

haha! those tricksy labs!

Yeah I have had Digby for two years now, and only recently, I was able to play with him for the first time :D it was pretty special let me tell you!

He still has a long way to go. But he no longer stops himself from being happy, whihc is wonderful and I catch him smiling now - its very special :)

haha! those tricksy labs!

Yeah I have had Digby for two years now, and only recently, I was able to play with him for the first time :D it was pretty special let me tell you!

He still has a long way to go. But he no longer stops himself from being happy, whihc is wonderful and I catch him smiling now - its very special :)

Raineth - Digby really fell on his paws when he found you.... to have perserved and spent so much time / love to get him to this point is just wonderful...

No wonder he is smiling - he must feel like he has reached doggy nirvana :)

You know I really like to believe their is a seperate hell for people that mistreat animals - cannot fathom it...

Thank goodness you saved Digby from such a awful home and horrible owners...

This reminds me of Shell and Zero - have you ever seen a dog look as happy as he does...just gorgeous :)

Those updated photos of his "fifth gotcha" birthday are just beautiful :)

And yes - methinks I have a couple of very smart / trickster Labs.... :laugh:

Great posts :) its helped alot. Booked in at vets next week, still need to google a behaviouralist in Coffs Harbour area .

We had a good afternoon today though, took him playing in the horse paddock over jumps he loves the agility stuff (I think.. Well he is good at it and looks happy) hope to join agility club this year in between learning to show. But priority one is happy puppy :)

Xo

Raineth - Digby really fell on his paws when he found you.... to have perserved and spent so much time / love to get him to this point is just wonderful...

No wonder he is smiling - he must feel like he has reached doggy nirvana :)

You know I really like to believe their is a seperate hell for people that mistreat animals - cannot fathom it...

Thank goodness you saved Digby from such a awful home and horrible owners...

This reminds me of Shell and Zero - have you ever seen a dog look as happy as he does...just gorgeous :)

Those updated photos of his "fifth gotcha" birthday are just beautiful :)

And yes - methinks I have a couple of very smart / trickster Labs.... :laugh:

awww thanks Double lab love :)

yeah shell and Zero are such an inspiration :)

Great posts :) its helped alot. Booked in at vets next week, still need to google a behaviouralist in Coffs Harbour area .

We had a good afternoon today though, took him playing in the horse paddock over jumps he loves the agility stuff (I think.. Well he is good at it and looks happy) hope to join agility club this year in between learning to show. But priority one is happy puppy :)

Xo

oh good :)

Please keep the thread updated, I would be really interested to see how you get on :)

and I think we need a pic!

glad to hear he had a fun afternoon :)

Yep we definitely need a pic! Great thread and looking foward to,updates... It's got me thinking.... I wonder if there's any knowledge or research around about depression on dog farm dogs. I've sometimes wondered about Mac - he rarely 'smiles' - and while I'm not sure I'd call him depressed, he certainly doesn't appear as happy as my other two or bounce around the way they do... Food for thought....

From memory there aren't any behaviourists in Coffs Harbour unless the Dog club has one here's the website just in case My link

I'm from Coffs too :D and Also pop into the Akita thread in the Breed sub forums we love akita photos :D

--Lhok

I took on a newfie that was depressed and very dejected when we got him, we were his fourth home, he was found by his breeder at the pound and passed on to a show person. They said he could not be shown...We thought he was smaller compared to one of our other newfies LOL..he is not, now that he stands upright with his tail up he is much larger

We had a lot of trouble with him in the beginning, but we did not constantly pat him or cuddle him...we set a definite pattern with him. we fed him. We walked in the am. We did some obedience with him and we reprimanded him when he did something wrong . Again when we came home we did a similar routine, but we also did some exiting agility type training, very low. We also trained our other dogs around him and did our usual exiting stuff with them. We took him lots of places away from home and brought him home again. We took him everywhere and introduced him to everyone and everything, just like I would a new puppy.

We also took Lukey back into the show ring, just more or less to proof he could do it and we got him his Championship. People who knew him in his previous show life did not recognize him.

He is now a fool, a happy fool...We sing to him in a silly voice when he gets the "low look" and we get very exited, it works with him. He is a happy chappy now, we have nearly had him for one year. He is now in his forever home.

The one thing I found was that when he was depressed, if some kind person would cuddle and pat him, he would get worse,,,,,,,,We ignore it and go and do silly happy things and he joins in forgetting whatever his reason was to be low.

Not sure if it will help your dog......It just worked for Lukey

:) I have attached a picture of my boy. looks quite happy here :) we have good days and bad days.. The last couple of days I have been taking him bike riding with me, he trots along side while we explore the streets, he seems to be enjoying himself.. maybe they are a bit like us that a bit of exercise might help. (least dogs have the motivation to start with). I have googled behaviouralist around Coffs Harbour and haven't found any, maybe the vets might suggest someone, otherwise we are entering agility classes in Feb for fun so socialisation will help i think :)