Dogs Vic Park Dam

marinapoint

Just wondered it anyone knows why theres a sign saying no dogs are allowed to swim?

Kinda annoying as there aren't good swimming holes nearby and trying to keep my crew out last night after they'd hoon around wasn't easy! Esspecially as one of mine likes the old wallow like a pig in cold water thing if she's hot! LOL

I know there's been an injury recently is that it? That was at the creek tho...

Cheers guys :)

Just wondered it anyone knows why theres a sign saying no dogs are allowed to swim?

Kinda annoying as there aren't good swimming holes nearby and trying to keep my crew out last night after they'd hoon around wasn't easy! Esspecially as one of mine likes the old wallow like a pig in cold water thing if she's hot! LOL

I know there's been an injury recently is that it? That was at the creek tho...

Cheers guys :)

The sign is a warning because of recent injuries and at the request of concerned members. The dam and channel are to be cleared out soon, it could not be done over the winter because the heavy machinery could not get access. Heavy rain over the last twelve months has shown up drainage issues we have not had for years, not just at the Park but over the whole locality. As it is many years since the dam was cleaned, there is a possibilty that rubbish used as original fill has come to the surface of the floor, plus rubbish may have been dumped by irresponsible people. The cumbungi weed has also proliferated and needs thinning out. So do the carp. Personally I would not go anywhere near the dam over summer because of the snakes

The purpose of the dam is to receive drainage over the property and for use for retrieving with gundogs. It was not used for the latter much until the introduction of RATG last year which has really taken off so we have to make sure the dam is fit and safe for its original purpose, it was never meant as a swimming hole, that is just a bonus!!

Cheers dragon woman :) thanks for the detailed response.

Yes my friend with her gsp had an injury so I was aware of problems down the creek end - the dam was confusing. Good to know it will be cleaned soon. My pointer crew love doing retreiving in the water so will be nice when its all sorted :)