The Prong Collar`debate..

persephone

Well, that looks as if prong collars could be banned across Australia if national standards are adopted.

Pollies like to take the easy way out where possible unless they are absolutely passionate about an issue.

Given most politicians wouldn't be passionate about prong collars, it is easier to ban them and never be accused in the media of promoting cruelty (no matter how unfounded these claims may be) than it is to not ban them.

Extract from the Parliamentary letter contained in the Link posted by Perse :

Biosecurity Queensland has advised that consideration will be given to a prohibition on the

use ofpronged collars when the Animal Care and Protection Act is reviewed in the future.

Time to start campaigning, you lot.

I'd certainly start by asking a straight out question and letting them know that as a citizen of Queensland you expect a straight, precise and accurate answer. The question I'd ask would be along the line of "What evidence does Annastacia Palaszczuk MP have to even suggest that the use of a PPCollar (ie Pinch/prong collar) has caused harm?"

I'd also ask what actual EXPERIENCE do those who they would seek to obtain advice and opinion from have in relation to dog behaviour and training and, in particular, to the use of the PPCollar.

Obviously, if they don't have any, then my next question would be "Then how can they consider banning it as to do so would be in clear breach of Natural Justice and Procedural Fairness".

To suggest a broad spectrum ban is in my opinion stupid and ludicrous and it depleats the possibility of use of a tool that can correlate to being more humane and fair than the other of the tools that are left being permitted for use.

In addition to that, they should refer to the American Humane Association's Guide to Humane Dog Training. This book was used as a reference by the "nay-sayers" against the PPCollar here in Victoria. Turns out though that the book prescribes the Pinch/prong collar as an alternative humane training restraint.

So - I'd be asking the Government to cough up with sound reasoning and not having decision-makers pass laws based on bias'd and non-evidenced opinions.

Well, that looks as if prong collars could be banned across Australia if national standards are adopted.

And they will certainly be, unless people - and that means YOU and YOU and YOU ..... don't pull up and do something about it.