Help With Picking A Breed

Inkidink

A Pug fits your description except for the shedding of coat...which isnt all year so not all the time. :D Great with kids...all bark with cats and chooks and other livestock, the livestock seem to know this and therefore ignore them. Great little watch dogs and to a stranger or friend they are pretty scary when they are in protection mode...just dont let the visitor pat them lol. Mine let me know all the time when there is someone there...the Anatolian shepherd beats them to it though as he hears the car...but a protecting pug is a pretty good deterant for strangers. They are a super good with kids and when puppies even though will jump arent heavy enough to knock a small child of 3-4 over. If you can get over the hair they make a perfect pet.

Agree with all this! Our little Pug is a farm dog and has to be involved in everything I do around the property. He is the first dog to bark and growl when visitors come. He is fantastic with kids, loves going all day long and then sleeps indoors at night dead to the world. They have such a fun loving nature and get along with other animals, generally.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a spaniel of some type, which one will depend on the size etc you want, our welsh springer spaniel is great with kids etc,

but i think a cavalier would be fantastic, as its smaller but great with kids also, just make sure you go to a registered breeder, not a pet shop etc

Breeders and info for each breed can be found here

http://www.dogzonlin...breeds/list.asp

and no question is to dumb when trying to find out a breed to suit you, most breeders are more than happy to answer questions :thumbsup:

Edited by *Heidi*

Cavalier (sheds though i think)

Maltese

Havanese

Bishon frise

(yes l like my small white dogs too hehe)

All extremely high maintenence coats! :eek: Will require lots of grooming or regular trips to a groomer to be clipped and groomed.

Guest lavendergirl

Maltese

Havanese

Bishon frise

I love all these too! However I would only think the Cavalier to be a proposition for the OP's situation.

Maltese

Havanese

Bishon frise

I love all these too! However I would only think the Cavalier to be a proposition for the OP's situation.

Even then I think a Cav puppy might be too fragile for kids that age. Most toy breeders don't sell to people with kids under about 5. Little kids tend to pick up little puppies and drop them.

A small to medium size breed is better with little kids than the really tiny ones. From the point of view of the OP's children being frightened of dogs, a quiet Border Collie puppy would be ideal. They can be wonderful with frightened children if you get the right puppy but it has to be carefully picked by a breeder with lots of experience. I have seen them work wonders.

Guest donatella

Maltese

Havanese

Bishon frise

I think i just saw the small dog request and used it as an opportunity to plug some of my fav breeds :laugh:

but i agree looking back, probably not the best for rural.