Benefits Of Roo Meat

arjay

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put this in the VAN thread earlier:

There have been several exposures of shocking practices in kangaroo harvesting, from excessive cruelty and non-compliance with allowable numbers, to serious concerns with modes of dressing and transport. Videos have been produced of maggot infested carcasses being transported in ill-sealed and poorly refrigerated units, still entering the commercial meat supply.

For some people there are ethical reasons to question the industry.

Kangaroo meat also doesn't agree with some types of dogs, being low in fat and high in protein.

Guest Augustine Approved

Although a true requirement for fat has not been established, AFCO recommends that an adult dog receives no less than 5% fat in their diet. If you are feeding 100% roo meat only which is approx. 2% fat then they are 3% short of the fat the may require. If you are mixing meats, you still have to look at the type of cut and how lean it is and work out the overall fat content.

The "roo gives my dog the runs" comment has appeared in many threads and from experience occurs not just because there is not enough fat in the diet, but also because dogs need a variety of things to help keep them regular, not just meat(s) and / or coconut oil. Similar to the human body, you can't just eat one thing and expect to feel healthy. There are vegetables etc. given in the correct amounts that help your dogs have perfect poop.

Really looking forward to completing our website which will address these issues in detail.

Although a true requirement for fat has not been established, AFCO recommends that an adult dog receives no less than 5% fat in their diet. If you are feeding 100% roo meat only which is approx. 2% fat then they are 3% short of the fat the may require. If you are mixing meats, you still have to look at the type of cut and how lean it is and work out the overall fat content.

The "roo gives my dog the runs" comment has appeared in many threads and from experience occurs not just because there is not enough fat in the diet, but also because dogs need a variety of things to help keep them regular, not just meat(s) and / or coconut oil. Similar to the human body, you can't just eat one thing and expect to feel healthy. There are vegetables etc. given in the correct amounts that help your dogs have perfect poop.

Really looking forward to completing our website which will address these issues in detail.

Roo does upset some dogs it really does.

It is an excellent source of protein but it can upset some, regardless of what else it is combined with in a diet.

I keep my dogs on a minimum of about15% fat in their diet, higher in winter. But they are a low bodyfat breed, higher ones like Labs or News would need different levels.

Generalisations on fat requirements don't take into account different breeds, individuals and their different body fat levels and dietary requirements.

Guest Augustine Approved

Alyosha,

I have raised your concerns with a number of meat suppliers recently as I was trying to source the best meat for Augustine.

Like all meat industries there will always be horror stories. I have researched the concerns you raise about contamination and it appears as though the industry has lifted there game in the last few years. Like VAN said, there will always be cowboys.

Ethically, there is not a single meat that I would be happy to use and although some meats appear to be slaughtered more humanly then others, hunting or raising any animal for slaughter doesn't sit well with me. There are pros and cons for culling and farming.

Nature says that dogs need to eat meat. What we can do is carefully and safely reduce the amount of meat they consume. Even if every dog out there ate one to two vegetarian meal a week, that's a big reduction in meat consumption. Having said that, it's all good in theory but so is communism.

I feed my greyhound boy roo as he tends to get a bit chubby whereas my greyhound girl is very slight and small so I feed her beef or chicken.Both have kibble and vegies mixed in.I have fed them this diet for over 12 months and my vet is very pleased with how they look and their weight.I buy my dog meat from a supplier here on the coast that was recommended to me buy another greyhound owner.My vet also buys from him now.

The fact is that all dogs are individuals and should be treated that way.

I have a breed that has low body fat and eats plenty of chicken frames and chicken mince.

If I fed this to another breed it could be far to much fat.

All it means that owners have to learn their dog requirements and stick to it. :)

The fact is that all dogs are individuals and should be treated that way.

I have a breed that has low body fat and eats plenty of chicken frames and chicken mince.

If I fed this to another breed it could be far to much fat.

All it means that owners have to learn their dog requirements and stick to it. :)

Is chicken high in fat?

Guest Augustine Approved

To clarify...

I promote kangaroo meat as a fantastic dog food "ingredient", not stand alone food. I do not consider any meat on it's own as a complete food. Naturally not all dogs will like the strong gamy kangaroo taste, others may react to it or have intolerances. This is in my experience is rare but can and does occur, but nowhere near as much as other meats like beef or chicken.

If you are steering away from kangaroo because you believe it is too lean for the type of dog you have, then you may be relying on the kangaroo meat to be the main source of fat in the diet. Just because it is a lean meat does not mean that it won't suit a slimmer dog, it just means that you need to ensure your dog is receiving a good amount of fat from other sources. I can appreciate that calculating the perfect amount of fat and protein for your dog can be hard work.

I can change Augustine's weight at will by making minor adjustments to not only the fat content of her diet, but the type of fat in her diet. I look forward to sharing the process with you all very soon. If your best friend's body can handle kangaroo meat, then the nutritional benefits far out weight the negatives.

Augustine's Super Food for example does not contain meat so that no doggies are excluded. It is up to the consumer to select the meat that they believe is right for their dog, purchase it and mix it in. I recommend kangaroo as the "general" overall top quality meat but there is no one meat that is approved by all. In my experience when mixed with the correct ingredients, kangaroo is the most nutritious, most affordable for its quality, and least allergy prone meat available to us in Australia.

If anyone would like to PM their negative experiences with kangaroo meat I would be more than happy to take a look and see if I can help.

I use a lot of roo for my adult dog, I like it as its organic and roo's don't get wormed etc like lamb, beef, horse or goat. When pup is older he will get a lot of too too. At the moment I alternate between roo, lamb and goat for him, was doing chicken too but it made his breathe stink??

No they don't get wormed but they are a link in the chain of hydatid tapeworm and a real risk for it to both dogs therefore humans. If your dog gets hydatid tapeworm it won't harm the dog but could kill you if they pass it on. Roos are killed and cleaned in the field, not in an abattoir with meat inspectors. If there are hydatid cysts in the liver you may never know and tiny cysts can still be in the meat. Human consumption roo is closely inspected to try to reduce the risk but pet meat isn't.

If you are using pet grade roo make sure your dogs are wormed with Droncit at least every 3 months and keep the meat in a separate fridge to your own food.

If you are using pet grade roo make sure your dogs are wormed with Droncit at least every 3 months and keep the meat in a separate fridge to your own food.

Is freezing safe in this case?( I keep pet meat in the bottom drawer of the freezer. Human food starts 2 drawers above)

I'm not certain if freezing completely kills hydatids or not. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Hydatid is deadly to humans and not something to take lightly.

My Dad, grandad, and several uncles were all butchers or meat inspectors. None of them would have roo meat in the same fridge as food for humans. I worked for a pet warehouse some years ago that sold roo and other pet meats and still went and bought human grade meat for my dogs from a butcher.