Silver Pugs - Are They Get-able?

Douglas Hodge

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The silver is not actually a separate colour (although some will argue this). Silver is merely a version of smutty fawn.

Pugs come in 2 colours only which are black and fawn. Apricot and silver are variations of these. There is no other colour in the breed.

In Australia breeders do all they can not to breed silvers and not to own up to doing so if they do but in other countries silver in difference to fawn is a recognised different colour and able to be shown.

They are about to become more abundant if my information is correct in Australia

Sometimes the silver Pug is confused with a smutty fawn-color Pug, but there's a distinct color difference between the two and Im told the silver is easily identifiable if you see one.

As work is undertaken to improve the health of the pug the colour will be less restricted here into the future than it has been for the past 100 years or so.

It is thought by some to be the only original colour of all pugs and isnt caused by cross breeding.

Edited by Steve

There are no albino dogs

DPCA- What is an albino Doberman?

Albinism Science

More than 50 Tyr mutations have been identified in humans. They are in general divided into two subtypes, Type 1A having no tyrosinase activity whatever, and no melanin pigmentation, while type 1B(OCA1B) has greatly reduced tyrosinase activity, but with some melanization. Classical albinos or “complete” albinos are tyrosinase negative and “partial” albinos are tyrosinase positive. Partial albinos ARE still albinos.
All current evidence supports the conclusion that “white” Dobermans are indeed suffering from some type of albinism. Like other “tyrosinase-positive or “partial “ albinos, they have unpigmented skin and eyes. Like other albinos, the trait is inherited as a simple recessive trait. Like several other types of alblinism, they appear to have abnormal melanosomes. In fact, nationally recognized geneticists agree that these dogs are albino. Several experts in genetics, alblinism, pathology, and opthamology have agreed these dogs appear to be albinos, including G.A. Padgett, D.F. Patterson,

M.F.C. Ladd, W.S. Oetting, J.P. Scott, and David Prieur. Not a single expert in any of these fields has reached any other conclusion.

This link should get you talking.

http://www.pugcolorc...ellaneous10.htm

Wow 11 colours! The silver/grey is quite eye catching. I wonder how many of these colours are showable in countries other than Australia?

All dogs of all colours are showable if you find the right org which allows them to be shown .There are many orgs worldwide who have shows that are not sanctioned by the primary registry in each country. Also in some which are sanctioned such as the USA silver is considered an allowable colour.

This link should get you talking.

http://www.pugcolorclub.com/3/miscellaneous10.htm

Clearly some cross bred Pugs with Bostons and French Bulldogs there and nothing to be proud and a lot of dogs with poor conformataion.

I have to agree.

Steve - there is no other colour in the 'traditional' Pug although some will argue the silver is a knwn gene. Pugs only have genes for balck and fawn. Apricot is a variation of fawn. I believe silver is as well.

I used to have alink that explained the genetics of it in a way that we more readily understood by the layman, but I have lost it and a quick google has not made it re-surface.

White, brindle and the rest are pugs that have had another breed introduced to breed a dog of that colour. There are some registries across the world now accepting these colours. The AKC still doesn't I don't think and they aren't accepted in the UK either I believe.

I personally don't like the colour! But am interested to read more bout it, I don't know if I'd like to become a big thing here in aust we have enough backyard breeders n issues without adding a rare colour to the mix !!!

I agree....I can see the adds for rare colours now.....and the $$$$$$$ signs in the eyes of the greedy.

From Pugs.com;

It has been proven over time, with specific breeding tests, that pure bred Pugs are homozygous (both genes inherited from the parents are the same) and ALL PUGS carry the following set of genes:

K (or k) D Em g S t

Black Pugs carry either ayay KK for pure black ( ayay KK CC DD EmEm gg SS tt ) or ayay Kk for the hybrid blacks ( ayay Kk Cc DD EmEm gg SS tt ), and have at least one C gene. It is suspected that the apricot fawns carry ayay with the C gene. The true silver color is ayay with probably the cch allele instead of the C ( ayay kk cchcchDD EmEm gg SS tt ) so it is easy to see how difficult it would be to have a true silver, as the cch gene is very difficult to find in Pugs at all, let alone to find two and mate them. White spots on Pugs (fawns also have white spots) are the result of the dog carrying one of the s modifying genes, rather than the S gene.

Now, let's talk about the pesky brindle color, and how it cannot occur in a pure bred Pug. First, the working of the ayay gene produces the red or tan or fawn coat (in this case). The Em is dominant to the plain E and and plain e as well. That means that dogs which carry EmEm, EmE and Eme will all appear to be the same: fawn with a black mask. Only by having breeding records of the parents and their offspring could you determine which specific gene a specific dog carries.

Recent studies have determined that the gene for brindling does NOT lie within the e series of alleles. Brindling is also independent of the transmission of the information which produces masks on dogs. See recent studies and more information here.

Many people associated with brindles put forth some wild theories about the sudden origin of the brindle Pug: the gene has lay dormant, inactive, for 100s of years; the "breeders" have been culling the brindle puppies as they're born, so no one ever saw one; and of course, Pugs were originally pinto and brindle colored, so now they're suddenly becoming those colors again. Every one of these "theories" is much more far-fetched than the simple explaination that someone, somewhere, bred another breed which does have brindle colors to a Pug. All it takes is one dominant brindle 'Other Breed' bred to a fawn Pug, and there you have it: the brindle Pug.

That means you cannot have a recessive brindle, you cannot have a "hidden" brindle gene - unless it is in a solid black dog that masks the gene. But any dog with a brindle gene that is not black will show the brindle coloration. So when someone tells you they bred a fawn sire to a fawn dam and got a brindle puppy... it simply cannot happen. Some other dog which DOES carry the brindle gene MUST have been the sire if the dam is a fawn Pug. Pugs have carried only the Em gene for over 100 years (that is, every dog has EmEm) and this was demonstrated during test breedings back in the 1940s under controlled scientific conditions, and is being further studied today. So dogs with the brindle gene today must have been introduced from another breed carrying the brindle gene, making it a cross-bred dog.

Edited by ~Anne~

interesting! I dont know about pugs as they are not my breed but ive bred two tan dogs together and got 50% brindle pups, and I can guarantee there was no other sire involved, genetics are such an interesting subject!! personally I love a black pug, the silver and the brindle pugs just dont look right to me!

I'm afraid you are wrong Steve. There are silvers out there but they are not what the POC say they are. If you had had dealings with this group you would understand that they have taken information and "tweaked it" to suit their own agenda which is selling pugs of rare colour at "rare" prices.

I have had people refer to normal fawn pugs as "brindle" because they don't know any better. Just because some one says that this is that colour does not make it true. And references to dogs from days gone by that are artists depictions are just that, not a true and accurate account, (and sadly that could probably be said of today's photos that can be photo shopped.)

interesting! I dont know about pugs as they are not my breed but ive bred two tan dogs together and got 50% brindle pups, and I can guarantee there was no other sire involved, genetics are such an interesting subject!! personally I love a black pug, the silver and the brindle pugs just dont look right to me!

The brindle gene must have been carried by one of the dogs. Pugs do not carry the brindle gene, just like, for example, the Maltese or poodle do not carry the gene for a black mask. :)