Doggy Treadmills

wantsapuppy

I used one a lot in doggy daycare. Great for overweight dogs, dogs with undrained excess energy and for dogs that just loved to be doing something, anything as long as they were moving. Had one dog that I had trouble keeping off the treadmill, but without opposible thumbs she couldn't turn it on for herself. Only had two treadmill sceptics who didn't like it.

You pay more for special dog treadmills, a human one is fine as long as the length is adequate. Make sure you get an extra long one to allow for the dog's stride being longer than a human's (unless your dog is tiny).

Useful in wet and cold weather when you really don't want to go out with your dog.

Edited by Aussienot

We have one for our four. They took to it like ducks to water and needed very little training. Our biggest hurdle was getting them used to the idea 'one at a time'!

This is one of ours on his afternoon stroll (warm up):

I would like one for Esky, but it seems like overkill for just 1 dog.

(or myabe I just can't afford one :o )

If you keep an eye on some of the greyhound forums and ebay, treadmills come up quite a bit from trainers and usually at a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Greyhound-Dog-Walking-Machine-Val-Ward-/220925689735?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3370327f87 This is probably the most expensive one I've ever seen on Ebay but you get the idea. That sort of thing but cheaper.

If you keep an eye on some of the greyhound forums and ebay, treadmills come up quite a bit from trainers and usually at a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Greyhound-Dog-Walking-Machine-Val-Ward-/220925689735?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3370327f87 This is probably the most expensive one I've ever seen on Ebay but you get the idea. That sort of thing but cheaper.

Thanks, I've seen a few of those come up :D I'll have to keep looking when I'm more cashed up.

Are there some dog specific treadmills that go faster than 5kmph

Here's a sled dog team training together on a super long treadmill :love:

Sled dog treadmill workout

Thanks, I've seen a few of those come up :D I'll have to keep looking when I'm more cashed up.

Are there some dog specific treadmills that go faster than 5kmph

I'd assume there would be.

Most of the ones I've seen have actually been newer than the example above and usually about $300. Some are manual but don't know if that really makes a huge difference to overall fitness.

If you have a reasonable large yard, you might want to look at the.. I forget what they're called.. like a clothes line except you attach dogs to it and they walk/run around in a circle... possibly harder to buy but maybe easy to build if you can find plans for one and have some reasonably handy about.

I used one a lot in doggy daycare. Great for overweight dogs, dogs with undrained excess energy and for dogs that just loved to be doing something, anything as long as they were moving. Had one dog that I had trouble keeping off the treadmill, but without opposible thumbs she couldn't turn it on for herself. Only had two treadmill sceptics who didn't like it.

You pay more for special dog treadmills, a human one is fine as long as the length is adequate. Make sure you get an extra long one to allow for the dog's stride being longer than a human's (unless your dog is tiny).

Useful in wet and cold weather when you really don't want to go out with your dog.

Aussienot - would that be Miss Tippi :D

She misses daycare terribly as does Mr Tango - it has been very hard keeping them busy during the long days while we are at work....

I walk them at 5.00am now for an hour :(

The things we do !

They miss you