Question About Bloat

Leelaa17

The issue is that there is no way of knowing if doing any of the preventative things actually stop your dog getting bloat. All you know is that you have a dog which has never bloated. Even if you had done the complete opposite - exercised before meals, high stress, fed soaked etc etc etc, your dog may have never bloated.

IMO if your dog is going to bloat then it will bloat regardless of the measures you have employed or adopted.

Definately agree :thumbsup:

I have beat myself up over my GSD and honestly I did everything RIGHT!! That's why my advice is as I said before "learn the symptoms and WATCH your dog after feeding". If you're at all concerned do not hesitate to get your dog to the vet ASAP because timing can mean the difference between life and death :cry:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost my first Dane to bloat. We went out for a few hours, come home and she was dead. She was fine when we left but it was a hot day so I'm guessing she gulped down lots of water. She was 2.5yrs old. We later found out that her dad died of bloat at a similar age.

I don't feed within an hour before or after exercise. I add water to their kibble (not soaked, just wet). I feed on the floor. But that's all I can do. I now have four dogs out of five that are high risk but I try not to think about it!

Edited by Kirty

A friend recently told me they read a very interesting article on the possibility of some bloat being linked to electrolyte imbalances. They haven't forwarded me the link yet so I haven't read it myself.

But apparently racing Greyhounds have a low incidence of bloat? Despite being deep chested? Someone here may be able to confirm or refute that. But apparently this study made a parallel to the careful electrolyte management most Greyhounds are subject to and the low incidence of bloat.

I'd be interested to know whether bloat incidence is higher in warmer climates.

This study is about three years old now, but the information in it is still valid.

Canine Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (Bloat)

School of Veterinary Medicine

Non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus in large and giant breed dogs

Study conducted by Lawrence T. Glickman, VMD, DrPH; Nita W. Glickman, MS, MPH; Diana B. Schellenberg, MS; Malathi Raghavan, DVM, MS; Tana Lee, BA - Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1243

Summary of findings (references 1 & 2) -

A 5-year prospective study was conducted to determine the incidence and non-dietary risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) in 1,914 dogs from 11 large- and giant-breed to assess current recommendations to prevent GDV. During the study, 21 (2.4%) and 20 (2.7%) of the large and giant breed dogs, respectively, had at least 1 episode of GDV per year of observation and 29.6% of these dogs died.

Factors that were associated with an increased incidence of GDV:

[*] Increasing age

[*] Increasing thorax depth to width ratio

[*]having a first degree relative with a history of GDV

[*]a fast speed of eating

[*]using a raised feed bowl

Table 1 summarizes the magnitude and direction of GDV risk associated with having each of these factors. The relative risk (RR) indicates the likelihood of developing the disease in the exposed group (risk factor present) relative to those who are not exposed (risk factor absent). For example, a dog with a first degree relative with a history of GDV is 1.63 times (63%) more likely to develop GDV than a dog without a history of GDV. As another example, if dog A is a year older than dog B, then dog A is 1.20 times (20%) more likely to develop GDV than dog B.

Chest depth/width ratio (range 1.0 to 2.4)

Relative Risk - 2.7

Interpretor-170% increase in risk for each unit increase in chest depth/width ratio

Using a raised feed bowl (yes vs. no)

Relative Risk-2.10

Interpretor-110% increase in risk associated with using a raised food bowl

First degree relative with GSD (yes vs no)

Relative Risk - 1.63

Interpretor-63% increase in risk associated with having a first degree relative with GDV

Age in years

Relative Risk - 1.2

interpretor 20% increase in risk for each year increase in age

Speed of eating (1-10 scale)

[for Large dogs only]

Relative Risk-1.15

Interpretor-15% increase in risk for each unit increase in speed of eating score for large dogs

Most of the popular methods currently recommended to prevent GDV did not appear to be effective, and one of these, raising the feed bowl, may actually be detrimental in the breeds studied.In order to decrease the incidence of GDV, we suggest that dogs having a first degree relative with a history of GDV should not be bred.Prophylactic gastropexy appears indicated for breeds at the highest risk of GDV, such as the Great Dane.

My thoughts - As an owner, you can't do much about advancing age, and if you want a deep-chested breed, that's not preventable either. But certainly you can ask your breeder and steer away from dogs that have a family history of bloat. And don't raise your food bowls.

I would like to add to this, I lost my almost 11 year old to bloat on New Year's Day 11 days ago. It is all so fresh in my mind 6pm ( so no where near feed time)( my dogs are fed around 9pm) Jola did have a very small potion of a Lamb flap about 2pm and as my 7 month old puppy had an ice block about 3pm and Jola wanted to share so she stole some that broke away from the block. 3 hours later she was seen to be trying to vomit, I followed her around and right in front of my eyes she bloated. I screamed for my OH to bring the car out of the garage NOW and called for my vet to meet me at the clinic. Poor Jola was in obvious pain and I was not sure that she would be alive by the time we reached the clinic but she was. My vet induced her and inserted the tube to release the trapped gas and 30 minutes later she was awake, though still groggy and we took her home.

On taking her out of the car she immediately bloated again so She was once again traveling off to the vet where we decided to give her her wings as she had an ongoing neurological problem for the past 5 years and surgery was not an option for her.

Funny enough all of my dogs are very good burpers and I had never thought that it was possible for any of them to bloat.

No idea as to why this happened( age, ice, possible abdominal tumor??) We will never know??

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/on_my_soap_box_purdue_bloat_study.htm

That link takes you to the Great Dane Lady's analysis of the Purdue Study - basically she thinks it is misleading as it presents as scientific research when it is only statistical research (her opinion).

From memory her view is that dogs bloat because of stress - whatever that means to the particular dog.

For anyone who owns an at risk breed - this is a valuable document to stick to the fridge:

http://www.gdca.org/Bloat%20Chart.pdf

Edited by Danois

My girl has no family history of bloat her sire lived to be 15 years old as did his sire -- her dam also lived to be 13 ++ years so (not genetic).

During her exam my vet said that he could feel an abdominal lump so I have no idea if this could have been the cause of her bloat but it could have some impact.

A friend recently told me they read a very interesting article on the possibility of some bloat being linked to electrolyte imbalances. They haven't forwarded me the link yet so I haven't read it myself.

But apparently racing Greyhounds have a low incidence of bloat? Despite being deep chested? Someone here may be able to confirm or refute that. But apparently this study made a parallel to the careful electrolyte management most Greyhounds are subject to and the low incidence of bloat.

I'd be interested to know whether bloat incidence is higher in warmer climates.

I'd be more inclined to think that the low incidence of bloat was because there was no bloat in the lineage of the greyhound study group.

Anatolians are a tall deep chested breed, and there has been no - low incidence of bloat in the Australian gene pool for the past 15 years at least.

The issue is that there is no way of knowing if doing any of the preventative things actually stop your dog getting bloat. All you know is that you have a dog which has never bloated. Even if you had done the complete opposite - exercised before meals, high stress, fed soaked etc etc etc, your dog may have never bloated.

IMO if your dog is going to bloat then it will bloat regardless of the measures you have employed or adopted.

I have beat myself up over my GSD and honestly I did everything RIGHT!! That's why my advice is as I said before "learn the symptoms and WATCH your dog after feeding". If you're at all concerned do not hesitate to get your dog to the vet ASAP because timing can mean the difference between life and death :cry:

Yep, I agree too.

I sent myself to hell and back wondering what I could have done to prevent my boy bloating. The answer was 'nothing'. :( Fortunately, I knew the signs and got him to the vet in time. He's still with me and had a gastropexy during surgery. I'm paranoid that it will happen again.

That link takes you to the Great Dane Lady's analysis of the Purdue Study - basically she thinks it is misleading as it presents as scientific research when it is only statistical research (her opinion).

From memory her view is that dogs bloat because of stress - whatever that means to the particular dog.

For anyone who owns an at risk breed - this is a valuable document to stick to the fridge:

This is a great guide, thank you very much for posting it.

I just have a quick q of my own abt bloat. I know it can occur at any time, but does there seem to be a certain time after feeding in which bloat can occur? Is there a 'safe' time shall we say that if a dog hasn't bloated for say 3-4hrs after a meal then it is unlikely to do so? Hope i am making sense, guess i am asking if there is usually a certain length of time that passes after a meal in which a dog will or will not bloat.

Thanks

As an epidemiologist, I can tell you that the Great Dane Lady doesn't know her arse from her elbow. The research methods used in the Purdue study are entirely legitimate and similar methods would be used in human studies of the same nature. Those looking at cancer risk factors for example. . And it is a good study with a reasonable sample size and has done a multivariate analysis (ie they have cross referenced all the factors to see which ones are still significant when you add them all together.)

http://www.greatdane...bloat_study.htm

As an epidemiologist, I can tell you that the Great Dane Lady doesn't know her arse from her elbow. The research methods used in the Purdue study are entirely legitimate and similar methods would be used in human studies of the same nature. Those looking at cancer risk factors for example. . And it is a good study with a reasonable sample size and has done a multivariate analysis (ie they have cross referenced all the factors to see which ones are still significant when you add them all together.)

Agree- and I think that part of that scientific study presented that the stress factor was inconclusive, from memory. (I attended a seminar not long ago regarding bloat and this study was presented).

Also, in terms of avoiding breeding lines with bloat, while I agree avoiding lineage that might have a history of bloat, it is virtually impossible to avoid direct parentage bloat given that most dogs bloat at an older age, usually after breeding has taken place. Breeding a dog that has bloated, however, is irresponsible. (ETA, however if you know your lines well, you would know about the other generations, hopefully).

Edited by SparkyTansy

I would like to add to this, I lost my almost 11 year old to bloat on New Year's Day 11 days ago. It is all so fresh in my mind 6pm ( so no where near feed time)( my dogs are fed around 9pm) Jola did have a very small potion of a Lamb flap about 2pm and as my 7 month old puppy had an ice block about 3pm and Jola wanted to share so she stole some that broke away from the block. 3 hours later she was seen to be trying to vomit, I followed her around and right in front of my eyes she bloated. I screamed for my OH to bring the car out of the garage NOW and called for my vet to meet me at the clinic. Poor Jola was in obvious pain and I was not sure that she would be alive by the time we reached the clinic but she was. My vet induced her and inserted the tube to release the trapped gas and 30 minutes later she was awake, though still groggy and we took her home.

On taking her out of the car she immediately bloated again so She was once again traveling off to the vet where we decided to give her her wings as she had an ongoing neurological problem for the past 5 years and surgery was not an option for her.

Funny enough all of my dogs are very good burpers and I had never thought that it was possible for any of them to bloat.

No idea as to why this happened( age, ice, possible abdominal tumor??) We will never know??

This is my story - telling husband NOT to slow for green traffic lights!!! Unfortunately the vet on duty did not recognise symptoms (thought it might be cancer???) and didn't act until x-rays were taken :mad

I hope you and your family are ok - I know how you must be feeling, it's such a shocking way to lose your Jola. You'll always do the 'if only's' but try not to, it sounds like you did everything you could and you did the right thing giving her her wings :hug:

Edited by gsdog2

Yep, I agree too.

I sent myself to hell and back wondering what I could have done to prevent my boy bloating. The answer was 'nothing'. :( Fortunately, I knew the signs and got him to the vet in time. He's still with me and had a gastropexy during surgery. I'm paranoid that it will happen again.

I knew the signs too - just a shame the vet on duty didn't :mad

So glad your boy survived - I can understand you feeling paranoid, I would feel the same :(

Edited by gsdog2

MY Dobe was fed at 9.30 at night, then crated. Drink toilet a bit later, before returning to her crate for the night. She woke me at 5.30 am howling and was not quite right but couldn't put my finegr on it. Decided she may have been very slightly puffing in her abdomen so rushed her to the vets, within 10 minutes from letting her out of the crate at 5.30 she was huge and bloated. She was put into surgery ASAP and had tortioned.

MY Dobe was fed at 9.30 at night, then crated. Drink toilet a bit later, before returning to her crate for the night. She woke me at 5.30 am howling and was not quite right but couldn't put my finegr on it. Decided she may have been very slightly puffing in her abdomen so rushed her to the vets, within 10 minutes from letting her out of the crate at 5.30 she was huge and bloated. She was put into surgery ASAP and had tortioned.

Oh geez, ok then :( Thanks for the info. Did your dobe survive? :hug:

Oh geez, ok then :( Thanks for the info. Did your dobe survive? :hug:

Yes :D three times

I had her Grandaughter she died at 8 and a half from an unrelated hereditary disease, but never had any issues with bloat.

What is "deep chested"? I understand giant breeds and those that are deep chested are more prone to getting bloat. Are Blue Heelers deep chested? Just trying to work out if either of my dogs would be in that category. I have a Blue Heeler and a Lab X "something".

Do you constantly worry about your dog getting bloat? After reading this forum it seems it's extremely common and i'm starting to stress about it almost constantly (half because i'm slowly loosing my mind from being at home with an injury for so long). It sounds like a horrid thing to go through for the dog and the owner.