How Do You Pick Your Puppy?

Topoftheheap

Hrmm puppy picking... not an easy task i always go with the breeder - as they have a world of experience - im my case, in some cases it may be there first litter in that cse i would ask if maybe a more knowledgeable and exp person could come and help... stand all the puppies up and puppy puzzle them at 8 weeks.. once u have ur pet home only pups taken out u need to look at wha tu like in ur breed... some may say this pups head is better but this one has an outstanding front and that is lacking in the breed.. etc... all these thinkgs come into acct and then stand back and watch... one will catch ur eye.. i like the naughty ones lol u want a confident puppy but not too over the top... watch them as they grow.. and try not to pick a fav before 8 weeks as there is nothing worse then dissapointment!! having said that some breeders pick at 6 weeks or 7 weeks each is different...

thank you for your response, we are seeing them at six and eight weeks, so i will do as you advise!!! We have done that with all our other dogs, and so far our choices have been fairly successful, not only as show dogs, but as part of our family.

The structure is there at birth and I am looking for a specific type which is also there at birth. I have found my eye is constantly drawn to that puppy. If I can't pick at birth it normally means there is no standout. There are always things to eliminate them later on, size, temperament etc etc but the x factor is present at birth.

I have heard alot of breeders say the same thing. With one of our other dogs, something about it caught the breeder's eye from the moment he emerged from the womb. She almost sold him as a pet, as promised to someone on her list (a list of eight but the bitch only had 2) but when it came time she just believed that he should be shown. Along came us, and now he is an Aust Ch.