Kelpie Lovers

Over the last two weeks I have been training an eight month old farm bred kelpie.

She will be returned to her owner who lives in suburban home in a few days.

The dog was totally untrained, and is very active - what I call a big engine.

She has come along very well, but I remain with one concern.

Her high pitched excitement yelping. The generally excitement yelping has certainly resolved, but when greatly excited she yips, ie when chasing and not catching/herding one of my very fast athetlic young labradors?

I am a working/ field labrador devotee, so may I ask kelpie experts, will they yipping resolve or are farm bred working kelpie's known for such?

Suggestions greatly welcomed.

Herding types are not quiet, and some have more of a bark than others - some like a bit of bark for working stock. My dogs don't bark when we are working/training/competing (some do) but can be vocal at other times - when they think I have been talking to someone long enough on a walk for example :laugh: My oldest girl is the worst and has a real piercing quality to her bark, Kaos's is a bit deeper so not so bad.

I don't know about kelpies in particular, but I do know a lot of working breeds that squeal when excited...

ETA: In most it seems like frustration.. as you say, when they can't catch another dog or if you take another dog out without them, etc.

Edited by wuffles

I don't know about kelpies in particular, but I do know a lot of working breeds that squeal when excited...

So true, far be for me to say my labradors do not bark at training!

Amazing what we become "used" to. Noise, what noise????, especially when I am concentrating at training!!

My working bred kelpie is noisy when frustrated...being crated while I work another dog will set him off! This is a constant work in progress as I don't like barking dogs! When he is working sheep though he is silent and calm.

My previous kelpie girl (station bred) was a barker and I remember many an agility trial where I wished she would just shut up so she could hear my directions!!!! Since her I'm made myself a promise that I wont have barking on the agility field...that is very specific though and I would think easier to train/control than non specific barking.

Thankyou for your reply Bedazzled.

I would worry MORE if she had no reason to bark.

With my labradors I can reward so easily with a retrieve, for example.

Can hardly throw a sheep for Tassie - the Kelpie.

She so...does not belong is a busy family with children.

The owner is experienced in working kelpies, owned quite a few over the years.

Tassie has a lot of go. Delightful little dog. Been interesting concentrating on another breed. She sure loves attention and pats.

Just another thought, as I sit resting and pondering.

Maybe I should simply proof drop further. Not very comfortable barking position. Would she simply yip earlier (in the barking sequence?)

My girl can bark till the cows come home in the drop. The only thing that eliminated barking with her was an immediate end to ANY attention I gave her when she started barking- no eye contact, no commands nothing. She wanted attention and even me redirecting the behaviour was achieving her goal.

I have a screamer, a grumbler, a yipper, a yodeler, a howler and a woofer. :rofl: I have to say I dont notice barking much these days, my dogs learnt that it doesn't get them any attention from me, but it doesn't stop them trying to get others to look or yell at them. Nothing better than a well timed 'shut up' to keep my dogs barking......

That said my girl barks before work, but shuts up when I am working her (unless I stuff up then she tells me off)

The Kelpies I have had over the years are generally noisy when excited when I am throwing the ball or things with all the dogs.

That excited piercing sound you say she makes when chasing I think it common in any breed.

Mine do it when chasing rabbits or possums etc. Our friends has terrier that do it when chasing each other or rabbits and things as well. I think is a different excited thing not just a regular happy excited dog sound.

Not sure its something you could stop as such as its a chase response. The way to control it is to not let her chase the other dogs.

the high pitched yip is coupled with prey drive and chasing things around. Working kelpies do bark a lot to move stock, you sure know when there's one on the truck.

Will she carry things around in her mouth? I found that can shut them up :laugh: Conversely start with some training, if she also barks when you are throwing a toy do a little prey control. If she barks and carries on put the toy behind your back and ignore her until she's quiet then immediately throw the ball. Keep repeating you will find the yipping will decrease quite a bit. Then progress to introducing another dog into the equation while she is doing the same thing etc to try and not associate other dogs as herding/prey items.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone.

The dog was reunited with the owner about 2 weeks ago. They report " a very different, obedient and quieter dog ".

Phew!!! Training other people dogs is stressful!!!

Hey Nekhbet, you mention "drive". Golly bit over discussing "drive". Hours upon hours of speaking to Customs, Bomb and Police dog trainers and breeders.

I love high drive dogs, visit mine!!! Not show, very different labradors. Some say, ugly, I say gorgeous!!! Can be a bit over top and their off switch, can be slow, but I love the type.