Do Pounds Contact Microchiped Dogs Owners ?

Kadbury

Try flicking an email to these guys too http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/animal-welfare/bureau-of-animal-welfare they may be able to follow it up for you. :)

They should absolutely be contacting the registry with chip numbers of dogs in their care - that's what the pet owners pay for, for goodness sake!!

If you get nowhere then send an email to CAR and ask for it to be forwarded to those in charge- they can also follow it up.

Its a bit worrying, if it is true that the owner should contact the pound, what if they got stolen and ended up interstate i certainly didn't contact adelaide or nsw pounds when my dog went missing in perth wa :o

Hope to read a happy outcome :)

Slightly OT but I was just looking at the Code Of Practice for Shelters and Council Pounds the other day - (minimum standards in that are enforceable by law, best practice is of course only recommendations) The COP is easily accessible to anyone from the DPI website, I can't remember offhand now whether it had yet been updated with the new laws, some COPs had and some hadn't last time I looked. If not, I'm sure it will be soon.

We really should all be familiar with at least the COP that fits our own profile (private dog owner, domestic animal business, shelter etc) as minimum standards are enforceable by law, best practice of course is recommended but not compulsory.