Frozen Semen And Smaller Breeds

Missymoo

ok I keep hearing that frozen seamen dosnt work well on smaller breeds...

thoughts? Those who have used frozen on smaller breeds? (not fresh or chilled)

Well of corse seamen wouldn't work, they should be on a ship.... Edited to add it should be 'semen' lol

Edited by Missymoo

There has been at least two litters of IGs in USA, dont exactly remember but think the pups died quite young. This was maybe 5 or so years ago

Just recently I judged in NZ and there were two IG pups from a litter of two born by FSI of 20yr old semen. PM me and I can tell you the owner's name. She is on FB

The breeder of the stud dog I just used and the vet had a conversation about the success of frozen semen whilst we were all at the vet for my girl's date with her stud...

Apparently, whilst there have been successes in using frozen semen in shetland sheepdogs, there have been more misses than hits around the world apparently. I don't remember what they said the success rate was percentage wise in this breed, but it wasn't high (under half).

I know a number of people in shelties who have tried it and only heard of one success. I did read somewhere that another breed that also had issues (perhaps Gorgon setters) was doing some research into why it wasn't working and playing round with the freezing process with some success. Chilled seems to have a better sucess rate

My last litter was a singleton from a surgical AI with frozen semen. A singleton is a small litter for my breed (mostly reserved for old bitches!), but my bitch 'only' had 3 last time, so it's conceivable that she is just the small-litter type.

There is no reason why frozen semen wouldn't 'work' on small breeds simply for being smaller.

However, what might make sense is if bitches of some small breeds (and shelties would be one that come to mind) get so stressed by anaesthetic and surgical AI that puppies are not conceived. But, I would imagine that there would be a number of large breeds which would suffer from stress post surgery, too.

Someone mentioned it can be a numbers game - ie with a breed that tends to 10 pups, you have more of a chance of getting some pups, but breeds that have 2 or 3 pups average, then there is less chance. Not sure if that makes sense, but with my breeds, it is a lot more successful with the giants then with the minis.

We have had a miniature pinscher litter of two big, healthy pups from frozen imported semen. The bitch was a maiden, so we really don't know if she may have had more pups from a natural mating, but a litter of two min pins isn't unusual.

I only know of one frozen AI with Fauves and it was sadly unsuccessful. I'm tossing up on it myself but am not convinced on the cost benefits compared to simply importing.

one difference is you can buy semen from a proven quality dog, an import may end up not making the grade unless you buy a mature dog, then the cost difference might be substantial.

I know a number of people in shelties who have tried it and only heard of one success. I did read somewhere that another breed that also had issues (perhaps Gorgon setters) was doing some research into why it wasn't working and playing round with the freezing process with some success. Chilled seems to have a better sucess rate

Would be interested in knowing who. I was trying to work out the pluses and minuses of using frozen semen in our breed over importing. I'm gathering information. (Not that I plan on doing either any time soon, but the whole subject fascinates me and is something to consider).

I know of frozen semen in shetland sheepdogs, being sent from Australia to either Norway or Finland (I cant remember). This was successfully used - 3 litters from this one collection of semen. BUT it was one of the only cases that the breeder of the stud dog I just used knew of that was successful - it was his dog that was the stud in this case. He thought there may have been some successful cases in the US.