Older Dog Panting

shells

I am looking after my friends 9 year old Lab (she arrived today) She is overweight and it was warm today but since she arrived she hasnt stopped panting - not full on panting but just constant (if that makes any sense - she is lying on a towel on our tiles and still doing it and it has cooled right down) she ate all her dinner, enjoyed her walk (I dont think she gets one very often) and has been constantly trying to mooch food off me all day. She drinks alot of water but I am not sure if that is a larger dog/breed thing.

She seems happy enough but a quick google told me that alot of these symptoms could be cushings disease. I will of course tell my friend when she comes to pick her up and suggest that a vet check up is in order but should I be worried now? I would hate for something to happen over christmas whilst they are away.

My girl was panting constantly when she was nine. We took her to the vet. They were not concerned as her heart was strong. They discounted Cushings as she was not drinking an excessive amount. We have been told that it is a sign that she is getting older.

We also got our pup at a similar time and he pants just as much.

I am looking after my friends 9 year old Lab ... She is overweight and it was warm today but since she arrived she hasnt stopped panting - not full on panting but just constant (if that makes any sense - she is lying on a towel on our tiles and still doing it and it has cooled right down) she ate all her dinner, enjoyed her walk (I dont think she gets one very often) and has been constantly trying to mooch food off me all day. She drinks alot of water but I am not sure if that is a larger dog/breed thing.

Hi shells :)

And Merry Christmas

Same here.

Except my girl is also in pup.

I brushed and bathed her yesterday.

It has made some difference.

I will brush her again this afternoon.

Becasue she is in pup she has not blown her coat.

This is making her warmer and I will not be whelping dogs in summer again.

She also has a short evening walk, something she has not had recently since we moved from a farm.

It may take a couple of walks to alter the labs metabolism and improve her muscle tone.

The other thing that we have done is put a fan in her kennel, she has the whole downstairs laundry.

And water is constantly available.

These three simple things together have decreased her her puffing and she looks much more comfortable.

Good Luck

Px

Spoke with my friend. They will take her for a checkup when they get back (they are back tomorrow). She is eating well and happy. It could be a combination of things. She isnt used to being inside at her home but we have a doggy door so if she comes in she is welcomed but she seems at a loss at what to do but enjoys coming inside if that makes any sense

Looking again she is actually quite overweight so I figure that might contribute. We are lucky enough not to have ticks here in Canberra so that isnt a problem :-)

Can I lastly finish by OMG the shedding. I own 2 Poodles so this dog hair everywhere is driving me crazy LOL - interesting to see how the other half live.

Can I lastly finish by OMG the shedding. I own 2 Poodles so this dog hair everywhere is driving me crazy LOL - interesting to see how the other half live.

Maybe you could help her out and give her a brush.

It is in effect a double coat if its not removed.

She'd be much cooler. :cooldance: :cool:

Px

Dont worry Tralee she was only here 2 hours before I got the brush out - for a dog who gets little attention and is "an outside only" dog she loves being brushed - my 2 who have been brushed regularly from being puppies can still get a bit sulky at me. She also let me do her nails as one of her dew claws was growing curled under if that makes any sense.

She is now happily sitting next to me on the floor (much to the disgust of my 2 - who are on the couch) no panting either but as soon as I move she is up following me around - I think she is hoping I am going to feed her - she has had her dinner and she definetly needs no treat.

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. I will follow up with my friend and make sure the old girl gets a vet check up

I often see heavy panting in fosters for the first day or so - it is usually stress because they are not quite sure why they are not at home or with their own people. I check the body temp, if that is normal I assume stress but if it doesn't settle in a day or so then vet check especially if they are over or under weight.