Question For Breeders

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Do you get put off if a potential puppy buyer rents? Does it make you more concerned then someone who owns their own home?

Say the person has a good job and ticks all the other boxes would you be happy to sell to someone who rented?

Obviously lots of people rent these days and lots of renters still buy puppies, I just wondered what the consensus was from the other side of the fence.

Edited by donatella

Do you get put off if a potential puppy buyer rents? Does it make you more concerned then someone who owns their own home?

Say the person has a good job and ticks all the other boxes would you be happy to sell to someone who rented?

Obviously lots of people rent these days and lots of renters still buy puppies, I just wondered what the consensus was from the other side of the fence.

Hi donatella. :)

Hmmm. Now the most important consideration when requesting a puppy from a breeder, or getting a request for a puppy is the relationship between the two parties. The ability to correspond over the many years that will follow is paramount.

The second consideration is why do they want a dog, etc.

I would always advise someone to choose a breeder first and then a puppy.

Choosing homes for puppies is always much trickier.

I think Confuscius had the right idea. "In order to recognise an honest person, you must first yourself be honest."

If I sense 'dishonesty' in the other party then the transaction is closed.

It is coming up to 7 years since I sourced my first puppy in this round of dogs. I now have 4 dogs, have bred 4 litters, moved puppies interstate, exported overseas, titled two dogs, and have been renting throughout the whole saga. Go figure.

Renting is not the issue. Its the relationship that matters. See our testimonials here. Testimonials

With regards

Px

Edited by Tralee

When I was breeding dogs in WA, I had a policy against selling to renters, which I sometimes broke. Eg, I was happy to sell to a vet school student whose parents were willing and able to look after the dog if necessity arose. I sold to someone who was the head corporate lawyer for a multinational (they eventually moved to Canada, but took their dogs with them).

At least in Perth metro, where a large fraction of the housing stock is pretty new, dog-friendly rentals are few and far between. Difficulty finding housing is a pretty common reason for dog abandonment.

I seldom had to apply the rule. Most of the puppy buyers owned. . . . many had waited until they got their own house to get a dog. I generally told renters I wouldn't sell to them without a signed letter from the landlord showing a lease for a year or more, and that a puppy would be allowed. I never had a single renter come back with such a letter.

I'm not a breeder but just wanted to give my two cents....

When we bought Lili we were renting and our breeder didn't have a problem. We own now.

It would seem unfair to refuse a puppy due to the buyer renting, but, I can see why some breeders may do this.

The most common reason for dogs beeing surrendered I found when I was working in a shelter, is that the owners are moving/can't have the dog in a rental property.

It's getting harder and harder to buy your own house these days and rentals are few and far between, so while I don't think it should be the only consideration, I can understand why it may be one.

As someone who did rent a LOT with multiple large dogs (for about 12 years) and having a sister who currently has a dog and rents (and has had to move between three different cities for work in that last 12 months...and each time has found a place to rent with the dog), I understand some of the issues involved with renting. Having worked for many years until recently in a 'housing related' field (not real estate) too I understand a bit of the issues in the industry and some of the demographic of people who rent. This means I do not have an outright policy against renters, but I do consider the issue as it really can be a major consideration.

It really comes down to the person and their situation though. Do they have permission (and what do they have permission for!), have they rented with dogs before, what is the property like, are they likely to move very often etc etc. It is also about the person themselves and whether I feel the needs of the dog in looking for a house will outweight their 'wants'. Sometimes a dog owner may need to compromise a lot on the house (location, standard and type of accommodation, amount of rent they pay etc etc) in order to accommodate the dog, so I need to feel comfortable they are going to do that. It really is a very individual thing to assess.

Edited by espinay2

I am certainly not a breeder and don't envy having to find good homes for puppies. I have rented with Great Danes and other dogs in the past in the country, Sydney and the Central Coast of NSW. While finding a rental to accept my dog was not always easy nor necessary cheap it is possible especially if you are a good tenant and have a record to show it. I am buying my home now so pets are no longer an issue thankfully.

Rather than giving a blanket no to renters I would have thought it more appropriate to ask what will you do with the dog if you are unable to find rental accommodation that is pet friendly. I did have backup plans however none involved family as I don't have any to rely on. If there is some doubt about rentals I suspect there would have to be some doubt about single people being prospective owners too afterall lifestyles can change dramatically when you are single. Before anyone flames me I was single and renting and had a few dramatic changes first priority was always my dog and how do they fit in the scheme of things, if it wasnt' good for my dog then I didn't do it.

Breeders would have to use their instinct a lot and feel comfortable with their puppy buyers honesty, afterall anyone can say they own their house when they are renting.

Guest donatella

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm putting my feelers out for puppy #2 and I rent and I wondered if that would put breeders off having to rent with 2 dogs (knowing the market at times).

I am lucky though my breed are tiny and generally well accepted and I figure having 1 more will make no huge difference to them with one already running around.

Just something to think about for me. I'd like to think I tick all the other boxes for breeders, have a good secure job, my dogs are treated like family, I just hope the rent issue with 1 dog already doesn't put them off as there is only 2 breeders I like the look of at the moment and Poms have tiny litters so the waiting lists can be quite long and competitive for the pretty ones.

Before anyone flames me I was single and renting and had a few dramatic changes first priority was always my dog and how do they fit in the scheme of things, if it wasnt' good for my dog then I didn't do it.

Definately. At one stage I was paying over $800 a week while waiting for a property. Dogs were in kennels, things were in storage and I was in a caravan park.

Breeders would have to use their instinct a lot and feel comfortable with their puppy buyers honesty, afterall anyone can say they own their house when they are renting.

For me, its not the renting that's an issue its the honesty.

I think income is a consideration though because dogs are not cheap at times.

Px

As a rescuer, I allowed people who rented to adopt but they had to provide me with a written staement from the Agent and or owner of the property stating the they dog was a) allowed on the property and b) allowed inside the house. If they couldn't provide this, then they couldn't adopt.

Guest donatella

My dream is to pack up my things, my dogs and hit somewhere rural, find a nice little rural hospital job in a lovely community and rent a whole house to myself that allowed dogs no problem and live a solitary life of me and my puppies :rofl:

Guest donatella

I'm actually very much a city girl so when I say quiet country town I probably mean one with a decent population (and some nice country boys too :D )

I don't even ask. Most people who own houses to rent that don't mind pets very seldom object to a toy poodle. They don't shed, make a mess & do not usually live outside.

I do specify that my dogs must be indoor dogs.

If they work full time & want to leave the dog outside they do not get one of mine.

I guess, for example, that if they had 3 large dogs & wanted a 4th this question would be relevant. So depends on circumstances.

I don't even ask. Most people who own houses to rent that don't mind pets very seldom object to a toy poodle. They don't shed, make a mess & do not usually live outside.

I do specify that my dogs must be indoor dogs.

If they work full time & want to leave the dog outside they do not get one of mine.

I guess, for example, that if they had 3 large dogs & wanted a 4th this question would be relevant. So depends on circumstances.

This is just out of interest Christina, why do you like them to be totally indoors? Is it due to their size? or moreso that they need to be with their people?

I wasn't asked if I was renting or not but in my first email I did introduce myself and explained my home, my living arrangement and job but I didn't say whether it was my own home or renting.. I didn't know that this was a deciding factor until this thread to be honest! I'd say perhaps it was more appropriate to larger breeds that are less accepted in rentals (unfortunately :( )

Guest donatella

I wasn't asked if I was renting or not but in my first email I did introduce myself and explained my home, my living arrangement and job but I didn't say whether it was my own home or renting.. I didn't know that this was a deciding factor until this thread to be honest! I'd say perhaps it was more appropriate to larger breeds that are less accepted in rentals (unfortunately :( )

I'm hoping this is the case with pup #2. I mean whats one more 2kg dog really?