Nobivac In Victoria

mini girl

I am sending one of my pups to Melbourne from Brisbane - the new owner to be asked about vaccination and I told him I now use Nobivac for my dogs as it means immunity quicker and has not let me down and also cheaper in the long run as only one more shot is needed.

The owner to be came back and said that his vet has advised him that the old vaccine is better for Victoria as there is a high incidence of parvo there and Nobivac is not strong enough for the parvo????? That means the old 3 vaccination method and the pup not being able to go out till after 16 weeks - I seem to remember a threat on this before and someone saying that Nobivac has to be bought bulk or something and some vets don't want to bother doing this - I don't mind what immunisation the people use just as long as the pup is vaccinated and gets his full immunity. My pups had their first immunisations 7 and a bit weeks. My vet is very good and a really up to date young man - I can't help but wonder if some of the older vets just don't want to give something a bit newer a try or dare I even think it - after the extra money for another immunisation.

But has anyone any thoughts on this?

TBH I dont know the answer,

but as a vet nurse my advice would be

a) talk to your Vet

b) talk to the Norbivac company, there should be a phone number you can ring on the packaging and

c) if your buyer wants 3 vacc, negotiate a price for extra vet treatment &/or boarding of the pup untill 16wks.

In my current area, parvo is everywhere. So as a buyer I would try to negotiate with my seller and have the full series of vacc, but that is personal choice only.

a vaccination is a vaccination. Send the pup down and the new owner and their vet can work out what they want. Though I would be stressing the importance of getting pup out and about well before 16 weeks.

Sorry mis read you answer - I totally agree that 16 weeks is a long time to keep the puppy isolated - when a newer vaccine can be effective at 11 to 12 weeks.

I actually put this thread in this forum by mistake ment to put it on the breeders forum - which I have now done.

Edited by mini girl

I was trying to get the nobivac vaccine for my pup but encountered many vets who seem to prefer using the older one which finishes at 16 weeks. I think the RSPCA nurse I spoke to hit the nail on the head when she told me that they'd rather see the puppy an extra time.