Rewarding Good Ownership.

Blackdogs

Guest donatella

My council registration is free for dogs who are desexed and microchipped other wise it is $75 a year

You're in the same state, this should apply to us to, not fair! I've just moved and have to supply all this paperwork from the old council to prove she was registered so I don't have to repay another year.

What a wonderful idea of your council!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My council registration is free for dogs who are desexed and microchipped other wise it is $75 a year

What are you sure? I am on sunshine coast and pay $10 a year and if they are not desexed or microchipped it is $110

You are right krystal&coco, im on the SC too- with my 50% off for Dogs Qld membersbip my non-desexed dogs are $55. The rates or on council website.

There is more to being a good dog owner than obedience training, there are some clubs I would never go near. I have not done any formal club training with my girl but I certainly consider myself a good dog owner and have a very good dog. I walk her regularly to different areas, always pick up after her, she doesn't bark and cause a nuisance for my neighbours, she gets veterinary attention when required without hesitaion and never tries to leave home because she is bored.

I would appreciate the council just acknowledging I am a responsible dog owner, discounts for Rego wouldn't work here because it is one payment for lifetime cover.

Well, how about if your dog just needed to pass a temperament test and some basic commands, particularly recall?

I agree that there's more to good dog ownership than obedience training. I was thinking more along the lines of proving your dog to be sociable and responsive. :)

Yes, lets introduce more restrictions for dog ownership. :thumbsup:

What would be the restriction in this case? I'm talking about the creation of new venues not restrictions on old ones.

the restrictions would be on good dogs and their owners who don't, for whatever reason, comply with the extra's needed to be granted these extra privledges. IE greyhounds are not allowed off lead in public in Victoria. Bit hard to train and then prove they have a good recall not to mention it would usually take them months and months longer then say a GSD to learn it. ( I have owned both breeds ) and yet the vast majority of greyhounds seem to be born sensible. I could take my nearly 6 month old pup up the street and he would be much better behaved then some of my Shepherd's would have been at the same age. Yet the Sheppie's would have had much more training.

Many a time I had a greyhound up the street having a coffee and they just lay down on their blanket under the table with minimum of fuss. But I would no longer be able to do that under your proposal as I wouldn't have a piece of paper saying they were well behaved enough to do so.

My friend and I educated many, many people in my country town over the past 10 years about greyhounds. Would have been a bit hard to do so if we hadn't had the dogs laying quietly at our feet.

Well, how about if your dog just needed to pass a temperament test and some basic commands, particularly recall?

I agree that there's more to good dog ownership than obedience training. I was thinking more along the lines of proving your dog to be sociable and responsive. :)

Why? if the council did their jobs and cracked down on the loose dogs it shouldn't matter if your dog was a DINO. If people followed the leash laws there is technically no need for a recall. There is no reason a DINO dog can't be out and about and be just a good a dog as one that is happy for every dog to get in it's face. Why should a DINO dog not be allowed to sit quietly at a cafe?

Yes, lets introduce more restrictions for dog ownership. :thumbsup:

What would be the restriction in this case? I'm talking about the creation of new venues not restrictions on old ones.

the restrictions would be on good dogs and their owners who don't, for whatever reason, comply with the extra's needed to be granted these extra privledges. IE greyhounds are not allowed off lead in public in Victoria. Bit hard to train and then prove they have a good recall not to mention it would usually take them months and months longer then say a GSD to learn it. ( I have owned both breeds ) and yet the vast majority of greyhounds seem to be born sensible. I could take my nearly 6 month old pup up the street and he would be much better behaved then some of my Shepherd's would have been at the same age. Yet the Sheppie's would have had much more training.

Many a time I had a greyhound up the street having a coffee and they just lay down on their blanket under the table with minimum of fuss. But I would no longer be able to do that under your proposal as I wouldn't have a piece of paper saying they were well behaved enough to do so.

My friend and I educated many, many people in my country town over the past 10 years about greyhounds. Would have been a bit hard to do so if we hadn't had the dogs laying quietly at our feet.

As I said, it would be about the creation of new venues, not restrictions of old ones. :) Perhaps a recall need not be included in cafe passes?

The laws regarding Greyhounds need to be changed. Is there anyone lobbying for this? They're incredibly archaic and misguided. :(

However, if you can't have them off lead currently, then there's no use having a pass to an offleash park anyway. :laugh:

Why? if the council did their jobs and cracked down on the loose dogs it shouldn't matter if your dog was a DINO. If people followed the leash laws there is technically no need for a recall. There is no reason a DINO dog can't be out and about and be just a good a dog as one that is happy for every dog to get in it's face. Why should a DINO dog not be allowed to sit quietly at a cafe?

Um. What does DINO stand for? :laugh: Sorry, never heard that term.

This has nothing to do with lose dogs. :confused: It's about creating off leash areas were dogs can safetly mingle knowing others are under control and of good temperament. :)

Trust me, I am aginst introducing further restrictions on pet ownership. I was thinking more in terms of a rewards club, not new laws to govern old areas. :)

There is more to being a good dog owner than obedience training, there are some clubs I would never go near. I have not done any formal club training with my girl but I certainly consider myself a good dog owner and have a very good dog. I walk her regularly to different areas, always pick up after her, she doesn't bark and cause a nuisance for my neighbours, she gets veterinary attention when required without hesitaion and never tries to leave home because she is bored.

I would appreciate the council just acknowledging I am a responsible dog owner, discounts for Rego wouldn't work here because it is one payment for lifetime cover.

Who would do the test and whose temperament test would be used?

One of my dogs is dog agressive, she would fail any temperament test.

Does that then put me in the irresposible owner category?

This has nothing to do with lose dogs. :confused: It's about creating off leash areas were dogs can safetly mingle knowing others are under control and of good temperament. :)

Trust me, I am aginst introducing further restrictions on pet ownership. I was thinking more in terms of a rewards club, not new laws to govern old areas. :)

DINOS, sorry I forgot the S, is Dogs In Need Of Space. You know the dogs that don't appreciate, for whatever reason other dogs in their face. Much like I don't appreciate another person standing toe to toe with me. So has everything to do with loose dogs and moronic owners that think it is cute to allow their dogs to run up to all and sundry. Off leash area's, oh yeah, have some here, same moronic owners still allow their dogs to invade other peoples/dogs space even though the signs clearly state must be under effective control.

DINOS

How do you identify the dogs? Do they carry a Good Dog Reward Club membership card? Do we employ extra council staff to monitor which dogs are collecting their rewards and to stop evil owners with terribly bad dogs trying to sneak in to use the (publicly funded) facilities?

Why not start your own Good Dog Club? Have your own criteria about who you let in, and hold it on private property, so nobody else is subsidising it.

Maybe we could have a good citizen program for children. To reward good parents. Good kid means good parent, right? Bad kid, irresponsible parent?

Only certified Good Little Children allowed in certain shopping centres, playgrounds and parks. Naughty children not welcome. :laugh: Yes, that would go down so well.

Maybe we could have a good citizen program for children. To reward good parents. Good kid means good parent, right? Bad kid, irresponsible parent?

Only certified Good Little Children allowed in certain shopping centres, playgrounds and parks. Naughty children not welcome. :laugh: Yes, that would go down so well.

:rofl::thumbsup:

Sounds good :thumbsup:

:D

Hi Blackdogs,

I like the general idea. Sure, as others have pointed out, there would be problems. But in general, as a hypothetical idea, it's nice. And I think you're not talking about removing current privileges or rights that dog owners / dogs have (i.e., you're not talking about adding extra restrictions); rather, you're talking about the creation of extra places / situations, in which some dogs and their owners would be allowed.

So, for example, a cafe would open, and dogs who've passed certain criteria would be welcome (sort of like how dogs can go to certain daycare centres only if they're vaccinated etc). So you're not removing any rights or privileges that people already have; you're simply adding new good things, available to certain dogs / people. So no-one suffers (relative to the current situation), and some people benefit. Is that right?

I would love to go to a cafe created for people and their dogs - dogs who have passed a dog-friendliness test or something like that. It's a nice thought.

Kitt.

Edited by Kitt

I thought some councils gave discounted registration for dogs who have passed an obedience course? Not my council unfortunately but I'm sure I heard that somewhere, in SA I think?

I didn't know that. That's not a bad idea either. :thumbsup:

This is a rough sketch of how it used to be (City of Casey, at least) ....

$xx discount for dog being desexed; plus

$xx discount for dog being obedience trained.

Total possible discount = $xxx

Now it is :

$xx discount for dog being desexed; plus

$xx discount for dog being microchipped (which is compulsory anyway, so I don't see point in discount); OR

$xx discount for dog being obedience trained.

Total possible discount = $xxx (ie total possible discount no higher than it used to be).

Which kind of takes the emphasis off obedience training IMO. Same total possible discount applies whether or not you obedience train your dog.

ETA: In regards to the thread topic .... some food for thought. Don't forget that for dogs to behave well in certain environments they need to be proofed to those environments. So, who would set the criteria and how high would the bar be? If it is too high, it might prevent the proofing to what may potentially be new and novel environments which means we could end up with less and less dogs being able to learn to cope with them. As I said - food for thought. Be careful about looking at the ideal without taking into account how the ideal is attained :).

Edited by Erny

bloody brilliant idea :thumbsup:

My dogs are not a menace to society. My dogs do not require temp testing. My dogs are not trained. My dogs can safely mingle with other dogs.

I don't need someone telling me I have to obedience train my dogs and have them temp tested just so I can take them out in public.

I don't need more regulations introduced that will not be policed and will, in the long run, cause more headaches for me (ie a responsible dog owner who just wants to own a bloody dog!) when the irresponsible will continue to be irresponsible... and shock of all shocks, dogs will act like dogs and do things that dogs have always done and will always do regardless.

Edited by ~Anne~