Heart-worm Tablets

WExtremeG

Me too it does everything and is safe for MDR1 dogs too.

Heart guard, pro heart and a few others are heart worm only.

Just checking- what breed is your dog (as a few breeds need to be aware of the kind of heart worm preventative they are put on).

Heartguard isn't heartworm only, it also does round and whip worm (not 100%, I know it does 2 other worms though).

I use interceptor, just coz it's all worms (heart and gut) in one (and my dog loves it)

I always used to use heartguard on my 1st border collie until I heard that collies can have a reaction to it so switched to Proheart & she had them until she died. When I got my present bc she came with a free sample of heartguard plus. I was a bit reluctant to use it but did. I then also found out through the dol forum that Proheart was also not recommended for collies so now use interceptor which does everything.

I asked the vet recently after getting my Japanese Spitz puppy about doubling up with the allwormer component of interceptor as it has the same dosage as 3 monthly allwormers. She told me that allwormers only kill worms present in the dog & don't last, so ok to use monthly.

I would never use the yearly injection after reading a couple of years ago on another forum that a lot of American dogs were dying or becoming very sick on their 6 monthly heartworm injection which was recalled & taken off the market att. It was later re-instated for use. From what I've read the Proheart injection is a massive dose of ingredients which wane over time. So in my mind much better to give monthly.

Okay, had to go to the vets as I missed out on ordering online over Chrissy (may not have gotten here in time doh!) Anyway I asked for heartworm tablets that only do Heartworm. The receptionist went on a spill about how it works out 'cheaper' to do the combined wormer/heartwormer in the one tablet. I said to her that she's getting wormed every 3 months and that the extra wormer in the heartworm tablet is not needed...Well she went on to say that it is at a lower dose, and that it was perfectly fine to give once a month... She also went on to say that because I wanted the heartworm that only does heartworm, then I'll need to give her her other wormer 1 week from today as apparently that's when her previous wormer will 'run out' in her system.

Bleh- I was a bit annoyed actually, as my OH picked her heartworm tablet up the last time round - and I specifically told him to ask for HEARTWORM ONLY! and they gave him Interceptor!!!(same vets, same receptionist) :mad

but all is good- we got the Heartguard that only treats for heartworm. :D

you poor thing.

some vet nurses,, some vets too for that matter need a lesson in manners.

bit of humaity too at times. never forget the vet who had the hide to tell me any dog that cant tolerate ivermectin should die, that would eliminate the weak from the breed.

also told me same thing about my chihuahua litter that he killed, he vaccinated them all with the full one ml dose, knowing his boss (he was a new employee) only ever vaccinated my 7 week old ones with half a mil as we had found too many died otherwise.

the only satisfaction i got was he was fired.

all 4 of my beautiful bitch pups died, being their mums last litter, n only daughters didnt help the grieving either.

OK at this point I will admit that I don't actually worm my dogs every three months. It really is overkill generally. I my dogs DO get wormed every few weeks if they are near livestock but for your average family pet it isn't necessary.

If you really want to reduce the chemical load on your dog ask your vet to do a egg count from your dogs stool (poo) sample. They might be happy to do it without a consult. If it comes back clear then there is no need to worm your dogs :)

Guest lavendergirl

I don't see that it is necessary for house dogs to have an all wormer every month either so this month I have given just the Proheart for heartworm only.

OK at this point I will admit that I don't actually worm my dogs every three months. It really is overkill generally. I my dogs DO get wormed every few weeks if they are near livestock but for your average family pet it isn't necessary.

If you really want to reduce the chemical load on your dog ask your vet to do a egg count from your dogs stool (poo) sample. They might be happy to do it without a consult. If it comes back clear then there is no need to worm your dogs :)

Interesting - I've heard about worming every now and then, how often do you worm your dogs (when they're not around livestock)? Do you take a sample every 3 or so months to have tested?

Cheers

you poor thing.

some vet nurses,, some vets too for that matter need a lesson in manners.

Nah- I only got a bit annoyed that when my OH asked for just a heartwormer he was given something else (like he didn't know any better) instead.

F11, for future reference and to avoid arguments with the vet nurse :), moat big pet supply stores like Petstock or Petbarn also sell heartwormers. Even BigW has some brands. I have found the prices in pet supply places better than at the vets but not as cheap as online.

Interesting - I've heard about worming every now and then, how often do you worm your dogs (when they're not around livestock)? Do you take a sample every 3 or so months to have tested?

Cheers

It tends to be when I remember them- pups regularly up to 6mths (older dogs also get wormed regularly with pups around and I make sure poo clean up happens as often as possible with youngsters) then every 6mths to 9mths. I have done some random testing on my dogs (too many for them all to be done) and haven't had a significant worm count.