Heart-worm Tablets

WExtremeG

Hi,

Since having our puppy home she's been treated twice (monthly) for Heart-worm. The first tablet was a promotional one and was free from the vet, the second was bought but it also did other intestinal worms.

Since our breeder uses Drontal quarterly, I am wanting to keep using it, however would like to know of a Heart-worm medication that only kills Heart-worm and not everything else.

Any recommendations?

Dimitrol is a daily tablet given that just treats heartworm. You could use that until she is old enough for the 12 monthly heartworm vaccine.

Hi, thanks for your reply. We'd like a monthly Heart-worm tablet as it seems like it would be less 'overkill' and the easiest to remember.

I've heard horror stories regarding the yearly vaccination (and she had a reaction to her last vax) so I'm quite wary of it!

I don't know of a monthly one that only covers heartworm, so you would be doubling up on the worming portion which would be just as detrimental to your pup. I 've had over 100 dogs/puppies given the Proheart yearly injection in a breed that is well known for medical issues and i've not had any complications.

I don't know of a monthly one that only covers heartworm, so you would be doubling up on the worming portion which would be just as detrimental to your pup. I 've had over 100 dogs/puppies given the Proheart yearly injection in a breed that is well known for medical issues and i've not had any complications.

Oh okay- I wonder why that is? If we were to give Dimitrol would we start at her next date that the monthly would have been due or straight away?

Thanks

Heart guard, pro heart and a few others are heart worm only.

Just checking- what breed is your dog (as a few breeds need to be aware of the kind of heart worm preventative they are put on).

I've just seen this (must of been typing at the same time) I'll read up on these :) cheers.

She's a GSD.

Just checking- what breed is your dog (as a few breeds need to be aware of the kind of heart worm preventative they are put on).

I've just seen this (must of been typing at the same time) I'll read up on these :) cheers.

She's a GSD.

It should be fine but if your interested in researching I am not sure how prevalent MDR1 is in GDSs. MDR1 dogs are more sensitive to ivermectin.

The annual heartworm injection is not a vaccination - it is a large dose of chemicals.

There's lots of monthly ones that just do heartworm but as already mentioned, be aware of the ivermectin issue. Pup's breeder would be a good one to ask about this :)

Heartguard isn't heartworm only, it also does round and whip worm (not 100%, I know it does 2 other worms though).

I use interceptor, just coz it's all worms (heart and gut) in one (and my dog loves it)

I use Proheart for the Bullmastiffs and Bulldog. Monthly tablet. They all get theirs on exactly the same day every month at the beginning of the month.

I also dose with Drontal(All when required as the Bulldog is a puppy. If and when they get their Drontal they get it in the middle of the month so the meds arent all given at the same time

Guest donatella

There is heartgard (just heartworm) and heartgard plus (heartworm, hookworm and tapeworm) newsensation_Cleo

Heartguard isn't heartworm only, it also does round and whip worm (not 100%, I know it does 2 other worms though).

I use interceptor, just coz it's all worms (heart and gut) in one (and my dog loves it)

I think you have to start the daily one straight away. Monthly kills for the previous month, daily is that day. It is a long time since I switched around a couple of times between monthly and daily but that's how I remember doing it. Daily starts the day after the monthly, the monthly can start a month after the last daily. They don't forward protect.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, had to go to the vets as I missed out on ordering online over Chrissy (may not have gotten here in time doh!) Anyway I asked for heartworm tablets that only do Heartworm. The receptionist went on a spill about how it works out 'cheaper' to do the combined wormer/heartwormer in the one tablet. I said to her that she's getting wormed every 3 months and that the extra wormer in the heartworm tablet is not needed...Well she went on to say that it is at a lower dose, and that it was perfectly fine to give once a month... She also went on to say that because I wanted the heartworm that only does heartworm, then I'll need to give her her other wormer 1 week from today as apparently that's when her previous wormer will 'run out' in her system.

Bleh- I was a bit annoyed actually, as my OH picked her heartworm tablet up the last time round - and I specifically told him to ask for HEARTWORM ONLY! and they gave him Interceptor!!!(same vets, same receptionist) :mad

but all is good- we got the Heartguard that only treats for heartworm. :D