Carpal Pad Injury

Emma Mae

My Shepherd was at the local dog park recently and sliced the connecting tissue of her Carpal pad to her actual leg and it is a fairly deep cut... (smashed alcohol bottle)

Of course we went straight to the vet and followed vet procedure, putting her on anti-biotics, pain killers, and rebandaging every 3 days at the vet.

Well 2 and a half week's later the vet had given us the clear (6 hours ago) last bandage came off as she appeared to have healed up well. Since 6 hours ago she has managed to re-open it exactly how it was 2 and a half week's ago as if nothing has been done.

We will be going back to the vet in the morning as I have bandaged it up for the night and Bernadined it. I love my girl and I am very scared that it is just going to keep re-opening...

Has any one had this injury and if so what did you do to control and heal it as my biggest fear is an infection setting in, she already spent 10 days on antibiotics and if we have to re-do this again it will be another 10 days... Please any advise is appreciated

P.S I am sorry if there was a topic of this prior, I did search but did not find anything.

post-42117-0-35238000-1323775753_thumb.jpg

Carpal pad injuries can take some time to heal. Do you mean that the laceration was separating the pad from the underlying tissue, rather than through the pad? The accessory carpal pad (back of the carpus / wrist joint?)?

They often require suturing, although this in itself can sometimes be tricky. I've had some heal back together without it, I've had some heal slowly even with suturing (though these ones often had toothy help...). If the wound is clean and has started to granulate then antibiotics may not be required.

Thank you for the reply! It is separating the pad from the underlying tissue from the bottom up. I wouldn't be able to tell if it has granulated, it is clean but I think that may also be due to Integrity having licked it clean as there was no actual blood just an open wound. This is her first ever issue and so not having any experience with these types of cuts before I am concerned, I don't want to be doing anything wrong by her and where she has been bandaged is actually starting to take off the fur and is looking like raw skin.

Licking at the wound would certainly reopen it :scold: (:(:, she may need to wear an Elizabethan collar until it heals : that is what I would do if you preferred not to re bandage. I also think that you should be curtailing her exercise as too much movement would not allow the cut to heal quickly. You could also treat it by using medical glue to hold the edges together. Ask your vet about the options.

I'll ask about the medical glue and the cone were booked in for an appointment in 2 hours. I have actually decreased her movement to remaining inside only and outside toilet breaks when needed. I feel bad having done that to her but I thought it would lead to a quicker safer recovery.

Thank you again for the glue idea!

Well the vet Integrity usually see's was off so we saw another which said to just let it be, keep cleaning it with betadine and re-dressing so I am hoping to take her in next week to see her usual vet.

The other vet did state and for anyone in future who comes across this you can only glue a wound within the first 6 hours of it occurring, so it was a no for Integrity but would have been a good option!