Puppy Runs Off

shags

This is only my opinion, but i wouldn't let my four month old pup off lead. I have a five and four month old at the moment and i haven't established a reliable effective recall with either of them, so therefore i wouldn't dare to go off lead outside my house or training grounds until i KNOW they are going to listen to everything i say.

I train them day after day in the hope that one day they will be just like the adult dogs in my family (which i know if i continue they will!!) I personally prefer on leash areas, although i love taking them to the off leash beach, i do get nervous with all the other dogs that approach. Even though i can control my dogs, i can't control the hundreds of dogs that we may come across.

Get Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall DVD. Best investment ever!!! Seriously more than worth the money. Awesome for recall training, good for positive reinforcement training in general. And it really works.

My 2.5 year old poodle x has excellent recall, my now 8 month old Sheltie pup would run across the fenced park (at least 100m and with other dogs around) at 15 weeks, both using RRR.

Having said all that, I still believe in most situations, if a dog is good enough to be off lead it's good enough to be on lead. And next to a road, I just would never bother to risk it, especially with a puppy.

Good luck!

Get Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall DVD. Best investment ever!!! Seriously more than worth the money. Awesome for recall training, good for positive reinforcement training in general. And it really works.

My 2.5 year old poodle x has excellent recall, my now 8 month old Sheltie pup would run across the fenced park (at least 100m and with other dogs around) at 15 weeks, both using RRR.

Having said all that, I still believe in most situations, if a dog is good enough to be off lead it's good enough to be on lead. And next to a road, I just would never bother to risk it, especially with a puppy.

Good luck!

Thanks for the DVD suggestion.

While your pup may be friendly ... he may run up to a not too friendly dog and get bitten or he could run to another dog across a road and get hit by a vehicle.

"Really Reliable Recall" ... is definitely worth looking at.

Edited by Tilly

Good luck!

I have ordered this :-) thanks for the tip, that is one thing I want to have no issue with ( well one of many :-) )