Purchasing A Puppy

HellsBells

I enquired about purchasing a puppy and the breeder was great with responding to my emails and sending photos right up to the point of receiving the deposit. They have my money and will not respond to emails or phone messages. I can not visit the breeder as the breeder lives in Melbourne and I live in Queensland. I have to have the puppy sent to me by plane and will have to pay for the puppy before it can be sent to me. I am very worried about paying the rest of the money to the breeder. I just want to know if this is normal for a breeder to ignore your emails and phone calls once they have received the deposit.

It would be normal for all monies to be paid in full before the puppy would be sent to you. It is not normal for all contact to cease once a deposit is received. Though they may have had a problem with their phone line, that is possible, but unlikely. How long have they been out of reach for?

Definitely doesn't sound normal to me but it is possible they have had some sort of family tragedy and dealing with puppy buyers is a very low priority right now. How long have you been trying to contact them? Certainly don't send any more money until you hear from them though!

I enquired about purchasing a puppy and the breeder was great with responding to my emails and sending photos right up to the point of receiving the deposit. They have my money and will not respond to emails or phone messages. I can not visit the breeder as the breeder lives in Melbourne and I live in Queensland. I have to have the puppy sent to me by plane and will have to pay for the puppy before it can be sent to me. I am very worried about paying the rest of the money to the breeder. I just want to know if this is normal for a breeder to ignore your emails and phone calls once they have received the deposit.

No, it's alarming.

What sort of puppy is it? How much was it and how much deposit did you leave? The answers to that can often give a clue as to whether it might be a scam or whether it sounds legitimate.

It is unusual. Regular contact slowed down with my puppy buyers when the puppies hit weaning age and work increased!! But I was sure to maintain at least minimal contact and I also sent them a receipt as proof of payment of a deposit. Do you have any proof you paid the deposit and correspondance from them?

It is unusual. Regular contact slowed down with my puppy buyers when the puppies hit weaning age and work increased!! But I was sure to maintain at least minimal contact and I also sent them a receipt as proof of payment of a deposit. Do you have any proof you paid the deposit and correspondance from them?

I sent an email to the breeder to let them know I had paid the $100 deposit and I attached the copy of the bank transaction so that they could see straight away that I had paid it online. It was not western union. It was a normal bank. I have not received a reply to my email and have since sent another email asking if my deposit has shown in their account and no reply to that email either. I tried calling them and got their answering machine and I left a message saying who I was and could they please phone me. I have not heard from them.

The puppy is a male Labrador Retriever priced at $1500 and I was required to pay a $100 deposit to reserve him.

At least it is not a stinkin' scam. Perhaps there has been a family problem...surely no one would risk their good name or the police knocking at their door for $100.

I would still be giving them the benefit of the doubt at this stage, something may have happened which has taken priority for them at the moment. How quickly did they normally respond to emails/phone messages? You say you paid the deposit a week ago, when did you call and leave the phone message? They may just not have had time to return your call yet.