What Would You Do?

redial

Say you're walking a dog that you rescued from the shelter down the road and the previous owner sees you with their dog. Say the dog was a stray and they wanted it back and you've owned the dog for a while...what would you say or do?

Honestly? I'd probably tell them I'd had it since a pup. If they didn't get off their butts to look for their missing dog which had no current ID, it's better off with me. Most shelters will have you sign something which says the dog/cat must be returned to the owner if they show up, so I'd say they were mistaken and it's always been mine.

ETA: Just saw your next post. It would have to be a pretty good reason and I can't think of many.

Edited by Aussie3

She was found in Wagga area. She's an escape artist, and she had ona pretty red collar and was desexed, not abused by how she acts. I live about 90ks away. but I worry that they might drive past one day and recognise her , as she's very distinctive... it would break my heart if they wanted her back.

Edited by redial

Honestly? I'd probably tell them I'd had it since a pup. If they didn't get off their butts to look for their missing dog which had no current ID, it's better off with me. Most shelters will have you sign something which says the dog/cat must be returned to the owner if they show up, so I'd say they were mistaken and it's always been mine.

ETA: Just saw your next post. It would have to be a pretty good reason and I can't think of many.

This.

Say you're walking a dog that you rescued from the shelter down the road and the previous owner sees you with their dog. Say the dog was a stray and they wanted it back and you've owned the dog for a while...what would you say or do?

I would tell them that they have the wrong dog, and avoid walking the dog in that area in future, just in case they tried to steal the dog back.

This happened to me some 20 yrs ago. Except that I think it was more a case of the previous owners seeing their old dog with his new owner (me). The dog had lived with me for about 18 mths and we had formed a strong bond in that time. Previous owner would like hime back, I said I had to think about it, left my contact details and never heard from them. The dog lived with me for another 8 yrs before old age took him.

This was in a very small community and I don't know how they could have missed seeing him and me as we spent a lot of time out and about.

Guest muttrus

happened to me I think?

we were walking our 6 month old pound dog a man stopped us and told us it was one of his pups we of course twisted and turned our version just to test him.But his time line and knowledge fit ---I don't know for sure but it did shed some light on his history and why he was in the pound

At the time pounds wouldn't sell dogs to people who lived around the area the dog was found ---the man said where he lived and the ranger had told us where our dog was picked up they matched

The owner (if true) was an ********* he had bred the pups for fighting claims they were pitty x and how he would be a good hunter fighter etc

We had him for 16 years never fought or hunted .