"single Parent" Dolers - How Many Dogs Do You Have?

Simply Grand

Congrats Saxonpup!!!! Gorgeous Aussie pup there :)

What do you guys think about being a single parent with a single dog working long hours? Dog has proven to deal with long periods alone, even crated, and we would upgrade to somewhere with a yard rather than a crate but she would still be alone for probably 10.5-11 hours on working days (hasnt been crated for that long now just to clarify! But that's because there's been a partner to reduce that timeframe down to more like 8 hours with a gap in the middle).

Don't work a 5 day week, one week 6 days one week 3. Dog is getting two 30-45min walks a day and copes well.

I'm at a point in my life where im really considering whether the partner or the foster (wishing to be foster failure) is more important, and having trouble with making a decision. Obviously whether it would be the right thing for the dog is a huge consideration.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: Wow you certainly didn't waste at time! Sounds like it was meant to be, I would have thought there would be a waiting lists a mile long. Puppy looks gorgeous, any names picked out yet?

Won't be long and you will be planning number 4. ;)

I think it would depend on the dog, if pup is happy being alone for that long then that's great :) if they require checking could you look into having a walker come part way through the Day to check in and have a play? There are ways to manage this without staying in a relationship you don't enjoy/ no longer wish to be a part of and whilst it's admirable you want to make sure the dog is ok I'd worry about resentment building if you stayed purely for that reason/ if that was the driving reason.

I think it would depend on the dog, if pup is happy being alone for that long then that's great :) if they require checking could you look into having a walker come part way through the Day to check in and have a play? There are ways to manage this without staying in a relationship you don't enjoy/ no longer wish to be a part of and whilst it's admirable you want to make sure the dog is ok I'd worry about resentment building if you stayed purely for that reason/ if that was the driving reason.

Thanks for the reply Fuzzy :) if i stay the dog goes unfortunately. She is a foster and was only taken on as such but she has felt like my dog since the second I laid eyes on her long before I even knew she needed rescue. The relationship is good but has its issues and I'm not sure if it's going to last. Would be devastated it I moved her on and then 6 mths down the track beame single anyway! Lots of questions and pondering to be had, but at least the big consideration is whether the lifestyle I could give her in that situation would be fair on her :)

I am not single but do all of the doggy looking after feeding, training, medication etc.

I organise everything to do with all the animals the OH pats them :)

I am a SAHM at the moment and I run some beef cattle so I only get paid once a year. Generally they are paid for out of my husbnads income, but insurance etc is paid for out of mine.

We have three. one elderly and two younger Whippets. I find three easy to manage having the dogs I do now and would happily add a fourth(which would then go back to three after our elderly dog goes) Having three when I had two Dobes that hated each other was very stressful and I found that very hard.

I also have acerage and don't ahve to pound pavements with the dogs, all the walks I go on are through our property which makes it much easier and I have a 5 acre house yard which is plenty as well.

Thanks for the reply Fuzzy :) if i stay the dog goes unfortunately. She is a foster and was only taken on as such but she has felt like my dog since the second I laid eyes on her long before I even knew she needed rescue. The relationship is good but has its issues and I'm not sure if it's going to last. Would be devastated it I moved her on and then 6 mths down the track beame single anyway! Lots of questions and pondering to be had, but at least the big consideration is whether the lifestyle I could give her in that situation would be fair on her :)

lol, i tell anyone with me that if they make me choose ill choose the dog ;) so far none have put themselves in that position :rofl:.. i think then it comes down to working out two things and adressing them as seperate issues, one is the relationship, how long do you see it lasting for, can you see yourself happy and would it cause more issues if you gave up the dog and then blamed your partner for making you do that..

the second issue becomes about quality of life for the dog, if she feels like your dog id suggest you adopt her and treat her as your dog. there are MANY options for those who work long hours and need a little help balancing that with their pets needs, there are doggy day care facilities and also people as i mentioned who will come in and do one on one play and walking with your dog for a fee youll find that if youre long term and requiring more than just an occasional drop in for 30 min they may work out a rate you pay for their services monthly or fortnightly etc and offer a more complete package to help as they too will bond with your pup and they enjoy working with dogs they get to know, your dog will also enjoy having extra 'pack' in its life and wont resent you at all for that. you will need to assess how much of your down time you are willing to devote to your dog. if you are ok with spending those days you dont work at the club training or at the park, how you can fit quality time in as well as work and time to do the things you want to do that may not always be appropriate for a dog. dogs are hugely adaptable and youll find most would rather stay in their home with their pack than be moved around as they dont understand that very well. also as she is with a rescue there is the possibility of putting her back up for adoption and keeping her as foster should you feel she isnt coping and they will help place her you *may* even be able to ask she is rehomed near you/ talk to potential new owners about the possibility of visiting occasionally and staying in touch which would be an option if you continued your relationship too :)

im sorry if im not much help here im fortunate enough that i have never been in this position so can only offer so much in terms of advice. perhaps if you wanted to see how valid it would be in terms of cost etc of keeping her on your own and having someone visit you could start looking at those services now? if the costs are unrealistic that may help your decision or you could also start talking to your partner about the relationship and seeing about his/her thoughts on the matter which may give you a better idea about where youll be in a few months time (for better or worse :grouphug: )

whatever you decide i hope it works out well for you and your pup, best of luck and let us know how you go

lol, i tell anyone with me that if they make me choose ill choose the dog ;) so far none have put themselves in that position :rofl:.. i think then it comes down to working out two things and adressing them as seperate issues, one is the relationship, how long do you see it lasting for, can you see yourself happy and would it cause more issues if you gave up the dog and then blamed your partner for making you do that..

the second issue becomes about quality of life for the dog, if she feels like your dog id suggest you adopt her and treat her as your dog. there are MANY options for those who work long hours and need a little help balancing that with their pets needs, there are doggy day care facilities and also people as i mentioned who will come in and do one on one play and walking with your dog for a fee youll find that if youre long term and requiring more than just an occasional drop in for 30 min they may work out a rate you pay for their services monthly or fortnightly etc and offer a more complete package to help as they too will bond with your pup and they enjoy working with dogs they get to know, your dog will also enjoy having extra 'pack' in its life and wont resent you at all for that. you will need to assess how much of your down time you are willing to devote to your dog. if you are ok with spending those days you dont work at the club training or at the park, how you can fit quality time in as well as work and time to do the things you want to do that may not always be appropriate for a dog. dogs are hugely adaptable and youll find most would rather stay in their home with their pack than be moved around as they dont understand that very well. also as she is with a rescue there is the possibility of putting her back up for adoption and keeping her as foster should you feel she isnt coping and they will help place her you *may* even be able to ask she is rehomed near you/ talk to potential new owners about the possibility of visiting occasionally and staying in touch which would be an option if you continued your relationship too :)

im sorry if im not much help here im fortunate enough that i have never been in this position so can only offer so much in terms of advice. perhaps if you wanted to see how valid it would be in terms of cost etc of keeping her on your own and having someone visit you could start looking at those services now? if the costs are unrealistic that may help your decision or you could also start talking to your partner about the relationship and seeing about his/her thoughts on the matter which may give you a better idea about where youll be in a few months time (for better or worse :grouphug: )

whatever you decide i hope it works out well for you and your pup, best of luck and let us know how you go

Thanks so much for the time and care you've taken in your posts to me, Fuzzy! It's so appreciated. The relationship is in limbo right now and I have no idea if it will continue, regardless of the dog, so I guess I'll see how it pans out. Merry F'n Christmas Eh!

To keep her long term I'd need to move somewhere with a yard too so it's going to depend on all those factors. Oh well, I'm sure however it pans out, It'll be for the best.

Hi saxonpup. :)

In NSW there is no restriction on numbers, so long as your neighbours don't complain.

That is correct except in some areas the local community do not want dogs or cats.

Several Northern Rivers communities do not like cats or dogs.

But I have four dogs now.

Mum, Dad, Big Brother and Little Sister.

I remember at first I just wanted one. :laugh:

Out of the many things that I've undertaken in my extensive years, this would have to be up there with the best.

I love how they each have their own personalities, and different way of doing things.

I love how they each have different needs and how they interact with the other dogs.

It is interesting during breeding season and the other main issue I've learned to minimise is 'the big green eyed monster.'

After 'the build' next year I will be getting mates for the two younger dogs.

The additional code that has beed added to the 'Code of Ethics' means I will have to do more for rescue but we've already housed other Maremmas.

The best thing for a dog is another dog and anyone who only has one dog I would have to say ...

Well I won't say.

I may be single, but I still have a family.

:cheers:

Px

I'm technically a 'single parent', but I live with my fam so not sure it counts. :o We have 4 dogs; two of them were my rescues but Jag has become my mum's dog. Occasionally he acknowledges me. :rofl: Carl and Mischa are 'my' dogs; they sleep in my room and follow me everywhere. I feed, walk, groom, bathe and train them. If I wasn't around, none of those things (except feeding) would happen! I buy their toys and some food, but my parents pay for most of the bills such as worming, and the bulk of their food. I pay for anything 'extra' like dental work, fees for kennel club, etc. And their yearly vaccs. If I lived on my own, I could definitely afford the two of them financially, with a tightish budget. Time-wise, I have more than enough for them. They monopolise the time I don't spend working. :rofl: I take them everywhere I can with me, whether it's work or to a friend's or whatever. They're my family and I treat them as such!

I could handle a third. I do sometimes train and exercise Jag, but only when he feels like it. :o

Edited by halfthewords

I am single and have three dogs and two rats.

The dogs are all over ten, 12,14 and 16.

Wonderful dogs I love them to bits.

Actually couldnt live without them

I know I have room for one more oldie and a puppy.

That might happen this year I hope.

The only difference I find in adding from two to three is, it seems to quadrupal the poo.

I noticed that when I got Blake( at the bridge).

But he was a larger BC, Molly the BC, my new old dog, doesnt seem to make a difference.

Not much difference in food, although she would love to double her food intake!!

Only thing that is difficult with old dogs is they leave you so much sooner.

Not much change in vet visits.

Blake was ill only in the last few months of his life, he was 16.

Currently I'm a 1 dog and 2 cat household and then throw in a few foster kittens every so often!

Used to be a 2 dog and 2 cat household. Have to say for a while there it was difficult being a 2 dog household - dealing with an adolescent dog and an old sick dog. Unfortunately because Emma was sick Kenzie probably didn't get everything she needed at that time, but such is life and I can't change that. There was no other way to manage it, there was lots of running back and forth to hospital so Kenzie had more time on her own and missing out on structure than I would have liked. I'm lucky I have some good friends though who were able to help me out in terms of keeping her entertained.

Am starting to put out feelers for another pup, which will come along when the time is right. Having babysat a variety of dogs since Em died that didn't need the level of care that she did, 2 is well and truely manageable. So I think it will be good having 2 in the house again when the time comes. Of course then I'm also thinking that I wouldn't mind 3!!! Which would be good for work days when 1 of the dogs is at work, there will still be company for those at home!!! Will just have to wait and see about that one though!!