Robot Vacuums

dannyBC

I'm interested to hear from people who have a Robot Vacuum.... & what they think. There seems to be lots of different brands... I have 10 dogs in the house & the hair is crazy..

I looked into these some time ago but the reviews were not that good.. Apparently there is a new model out that is supposed to be improved but i haven't looked at it further.. I think my expectations outweigh the product smile.gif

I was under the impression that they don't have the best capacity as they're quite small.

My sister has 1 JRT and the robot vacuum poses 2 issues:

1. It gets full rather quick and is needed to be emptied very often. 2. Dog thinks it is a toy and plays with it..

In the end my sister has gone back to using her dyson. :)

I used the Roomba pet model in dog day care and loved it. It didn't completely eliminate all dog hair, but it picked up about 90% making vaccuming so much easier. Yep some dogs want to chase it, and the capacity of hair bin is not great but overall I had a good experience with mine and would buy another in future.

Ok I copied my replies from the other thread. Hope you get enough info from it.

Quote:I love mine, have had it for 4 years now. I only have tiled floors. Kelpie hair and plenty of dirt. I do have to clean the brushes out but would rather that than push a ordinary vacuum cleaner round with my back. At least I can clean the brushes sitting down and using a pair of tweezers. the battery lasts about a hour before going back to the charging dock. The brand I have is the I robot. Apparently there is a model for pets, and one that will wash the floor as well. Some models I think you can set a time for it to start cleaning etc. but I don't know anything about those. I only have the basic model and of memory I paid about $500 from Harvey Norman.

Quote:

Roomba I robot.

I have a internet friend from a horse forum that had a cheap brand from Ebay, she only got 12 months from it before falling apart, she now also has A Roomba but a newer model to mine.

Quote:Yup newer models to mine can be programed for that.

The other thing is most of the parts that might need replacing can be done quite simply, just a few screws and all done. I have replaced the brushes and cassette in mine.

Quote:Reasonably noisy on the hard floor but quiet on carpet. (I don't have carpet just a few carpet squares)

Quote:Mine goes for over a hour before going back to base. but I recently put a new battery in her.

Quote:If the doors are open it will go from room to room. It will vacuum anywhere it can fit, between chairs, under lounge provided lounge is high enough. Its under mine easily.

Quote: One thing I found with mine is that Smooch doesn't attack it. The odd time I get the old vacuum cleaner out to dust the skirting boards Smooch is at it all the time trying to grab hold of the end.

Quote:I really don't think they are any noisier than any other vacuum cleaner, mine is quite noisy but I have tiled floors with a rubber mat in front the lunge and a carpet square near the bed, when Sadie gets onto these it is pretty quiet.

Quote:Mine is about 8cm high so you would need slightly more room, mine gets under the lounge and chairs except for my recliner chair.

Quote:It will get caught up in cloths if there is something like ribbon handing from it, the ribbon would end up caught up round the brushes. I haven't had any problems with elect. cords or telephone cords. Sadie did get caught in one of those mop type of brooms that I forgot to remove from the room, one of the tasselie bits got caught around the brush.

Quote:

It handles kelpie hair without any problems (not sure what you mean by tumbleweeds of dog hair) also Smooch brings a lot of blue metal dust which is fine type of gravel in on his paws when it is damp outside, it also handles this with no problems. So I guess depending on the size of the gravel should be fine. I don't have any kitty litter to try it on.

I have a Roomba and love it. It's the newer but basic model. I switch it on every morning as I leave for work and come back to find it recharged and my house clean. It does fill up daily so I empty it every evening BUT I now only vacuum the house myself every 2 weeks. I wouldn't say it's fantastic on carpets but it's great on my tiled floors.

Don't know how it would cope with 10 dogs though, perhaps get 2! You'd have to use it and empty it daily so it doesn't choke on the dog hair.

We have a roomba and I used to love it. But it gets full and needs emptying every single day, and only lived for one year. Now it goes for 2 minutes and thinks it's full, even when it's not. Maybe it's the amount of hair around here that sent it to an early death. Very disappointed though, considering how much it cost us, and then broke a month after the warranty was up.

Might try the Samsung one next time.

We have a roomba and I used to love it. But it gets full and needs emptying every single day, and only lived for one year. Now it goes for 2 minutes and thinks it's full, even when it's not. Maybe it's the amount of hair around here that sent it to an early death. Very disappointed though, considering how much it cost us, and then broke a month after the warranty was up.

Might try the Samsung one next time.

You might get some help from here. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=293797fcfaeb6c2cb8a8b512fa8dc3d8

Wow thankyou everyone.... Heaps of great information. I think I'm off to buy one this weekend. It'll be a be ask of it, but I'm prepared to empty it daily & run the other vacuum over each week.. So I think my expectations are OK.

Thanks for everyones input.