Groomin Disaster

blonde

I just don't understand why the groomer couldn't have called Blonde first and tell her she would have to clip his legs? It's not like this dog was matted all over he simply had matting on his leg due to a bandage from an injury. Some of you could really cut Blonde some slack!

If I was a groomer and one of my clients (especially a new client) had spent 20 minutes with me expressing exactly what they wanted I would definately give them a call to let them know I couldn't give them what they asked for and why. I'd also ask if they want me to continue, it is their dog afterall. This is called good customer service.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

FFS I am sitting here with my hair way shorter than the 1 inch I discussed with the hairdresser! Anyone sign a consent form at the hairdressers? You just suck it up and know that your hair will grow. And I paid a shitload more then I ever charged as a groomer. And I don't have fleas and don't bite!

Unless your dog is actually injured by the groomer stop all this whinging.

It's called being a customer and paying for a service. When you don't get what you ask for you are well within your right to whinge to your hearts content. Bet you don't take that attitude when it comes to your money and your customer satisfaction issues.

To all the groomers that are honest with a client from the beginning (telling them upfront it needs to be shaved or refusing to clip) and listening to their clients are worth their weight in gold.

FFS I am sitting here with my hair way shorter than the 1 inch I discussed with the hairdresser! Anyone sign a consent form at the hairdressers? You just suck it up and know that your hair will grow. And I paid a shitload more then I ever charged as a groomer. And I don't have fleas and don't bite!

It's called being a customer and paying for a service. When you don't get what you ask for you are well within your right to whinge to your hearts content. Bet you don't take that attitude when it comes to your money and your customer satisfaction issues.

To all the groomers that are honest with a client from the beginning (telling them upfront it needs to be shaved or refusing to clip) and listening to their clients are worth their weight in gold.

Can't say I've ever whinged at the hairdressers when I didn't get what I asked for. I did complain when my neck got burnt during a process.

Having your dog's legs clipped is hardly a 'disaster'.

We also are not party to the entire 20 min convo. It would be interesting to hear what the groomer's view is.

I had a horrible experience with a groomer recently... they chopped off my dogs ear hair and tail hair when I expressly told them not to. There were no matts - she was fully brushed and well groomed prior to going to the groomer.

But that isn't the only reason I was angry... they also nicked her very badly (5 cent piece sized) and another 3 smaller nicks. When the dog is 2.5 kgs a 5 cent piece sized nick is considerable. It was fairly clear from the angle of the big nick that it was because the clippers were being used against the grain and with little care in an easy to nick area (skin 'flap' near back leg)... I had to get a cone for her to stop her licking the wounds.

They also failed to call me when she was finished - obviously didn't want to tell me about nicking her on the phone - so she was there from 8 am to 6:30 PM when I finally just went in to see what was happening.

They charged me full cost. I will never use them again. Ever.

I had a horrible experience with a groomer recently... they chopped off my dogs ear hair and tail hair when I expressly told them not to. There were no matts - she was fully brushed and well groomed prior to going to the groomer.

But that isn't the only reason I was angry... they also nicked her very badly (5 cent piece sized) and another 3 smaller nicks. When the dog is 2.5 kgs a 5 cent piece sized nick is considerable. It was fairly clear from the angle of the big nick that it was because the clippers were being used against the grain and with little care in an easy to nick area (skin 'flap' near back leg)... I had to get a cone for her to stop her licking the wounds.

They also failed to call me when she was finished - obviously didn't want to tell me about nicking her on the phone - so she was there from 8 am to 6:30 PM when I finally just went in to see what was happening.

Now THAT is a grooming Disaster!

Now THAT is a grooming Disaster!

Agree!

I just don't understand why the groomer couldn't have called Blonde first and tell her she would have to clip his legs? It's not like this dog was matted all over he simply had matting on his leg due to a bandage from an injury. Some of you could really cut Blonde some slack!

Same could be said for the groomer two sides to every story,i am not going point blame at one side without knowing the facts & the exact condition of the dog.

Guest donatella

Can't say I've ever whinged at the hairdressers when I didn't get what I asked for. I did complain when my neck got burnt during a process.

Having your dog's legs clipped is hardly a 'disaster'.

We also are not party to the entire 20 min convo. It would be interesting to hear what the groomer's view is.

I have complained at the hairdressers before, it took me a while to find my current one I like that suits me and listens to me whilst giving their professional opinion. I've even had cheques sent back to me refunding the amount when I haven't been happy.

Having been in a similar situation only a month ago I can completely feel the OP's pain, but yes I agree more info is needed on what was said during that 20min conversation.

If I was a groomer and one of my clients (especially a new client) had spent 20 minutes with me expressing exactly what they wanted I would definately give them a call to let them know I couldn't give them what they asked for and why. I'd also ask if they want me to continue, it is their dog afterall. This is called good customer service.

Blonde hasn't told us what she wanted the groomer to do. She has made it clear that she asked the groomer to keep the hair long, but it doesn't take 20 minutes to say that. I wonder if the groomer did just spend 20 minutes just agreeing with everything Blonde said, or whether there is another side to the story.

In any case, it's all theory until the dog is on the table and the groomer can see what needs to be done. The groomer could have called Blonde to explain that the legs needed to be clipped, but there are also reasons why a groomer might decide not to. For instance if he client had not been accurate in describing the dog's condition in the first phone call, it seems pointless to call them back just to have an argument. Might be easier just to make the dog comfortable and allow the client to go elsewhere for their magic and miracles.

I have a dog with a large shaved patch on one side due to injury, yes it looks a little odd but I definitely don't want the rest of her shaved to match! Of course the dog can have three fluffy legs and one not fluffy.

I wouldn't shave one leg, I'd send them elsewhere.

Guest donatella

It's all subjective really, what may be a disaster for one person may be nothing for someone else, doesn't mean that the person experiencing it isn't still upset by it or that its any less a big deal to them.

Would this be any different if it were a show dog that now couldn't hit the ring until the hair grew back? Or is it okay no big deal because it's just a pet?

I have a dog with a large shaved patch on one side due to injury, yes it looks a little odd but I definitely don't want the rest of her shaved to match! Of course the dog can have three fluffy legs and one not fluffy.

I wouldn't shave one leg, I'd send them elsewhere.

If I brought my dog to you for a bath, blow dry, ear, feet and hock trim (which is standard on my breed) and you saw the big shaved patch on her side, would you take it upon yourself to shave the rest of her to match? Even if I didn't point it out to you (and it's not obvious at some angles and now that she has a covering of short black hair there), it stands to reason that if I didn't ask for the dog to be clipped, then I don't want the dog to be clipped. If you felt that the dog couldn't possibly leave your salon with what I'd requested and a big chink of hair missing from her side, then shouldn't you say so before taking to any part of the dog with clippers?

A standard poodle with a partially matted leg from wearing a bandage over an injury shouldn't need all four legs clipped. And the customer didn't ask for all four legs to be clipped, so why does everyone feel the need to defend an unknown and obviously not very good groomer for not following instructions?

Would this be any different if it were a show dog that now couldn't hit the ring until the hair grew back? Or is it okay no big deal because it's just a pet?

I had a dog out of the ring for over 6 months because a vet took an excessive amount (20cm x 15cm) off the side of my dog to remove a grass seed. The vet was asked at the time to shave as little as possible and he agreed - but I think he forgot to pass the message on to the vet nurse :mad: But I would prefer the grass seed out rather than still in :p A friend recently had a grass seed removed from her dog (same breed) and the vet didn't even shave! So I will take a trip next time I need one removed (rural property + long haired dogs = grass seeds occasionally missed even when they are checked twice a day :( )

I am also very glad I don't take my dogs to a groomer - even when we needed to clip a few out due to bad skin allergies in summer I just did them myself.

If a customer spends 20 minutes explaining to a groomer how they don't want the dog clipped and that they're nervous of leaving him with a new groomer, doesn't that groomer at least owe the customer the courtesy of a phone call before they clip the dog?

And how did some matted hair on one leg from the dog having it bandaged, morph into a completely matted dog that requires a full body clip?

This is just another thread that makes me even more determined to never take my dogs to a groomer, they just can't be trusted to do what's asked.

For crying out loud, how many times... SOME groomers, NOT all - please don't generalise. :mad

donatella I know you are feeling touchy about this subject after your dog but this is a different situation. The dog's leg was matted. The groomer possibly couldn't have done anything else so it wouldn't have mattered if it was a show dog. You can't show a matted dog.

Gayle sounds like hair was only supposed to be left on the bottom of the legs so the top would have been clipped anyhow.

If a customer spends 20 minutes explaining to a groomer how they don't want the dog clipped and that they're nervous of leaving him with a new groomer, doesn't that groomer at least owe the customer the courtesy of a phone call before they clip the dog?

And how did some matted hair on one leg from the dog having it bandaged, morph into a completely matted dog that requires a full body clip?

This is just another thread that makes me even more determined to never take my dogs to a groomer, they just can't be trusted to do what's asked.

For crying out loud, how many times... SOME groomers, NOT all - please don't generalise. :mad

I won't take my dog to ANY groomer because SOME of them can't be trusted and I don't know which ones can. So safer to not take them to any. It's an unregulated industry where any weekend warrior with scissors, clippers, a tap, a tub and a hairdryer can hang out a shingle and start fleecing the unwary.

OMG today we took our poodle to a new groomer as we moved and wanted to find someone close to us. So Anyway I spoke to the lady on the phone for 20 minutes, then both hubby and i dropped him off-standard poodle, and said we wanted to keep long socks and hair on head and tail-we explained our he had a bandadged leg at the back because the vet put it on him after an insect sting got infected, and his hair got all matted on one leg. Anyway when we pciked him up-he was completely shaven, all his long hair on his legs/feet-the socks area-i am not sure of the correct term were all gone-she said that the back legs were too matted and so we had to start all over again so she shaved them, even though i spent like 20 minutes telling her how scared i was of going to a new groomer in case they cut my dogs hair off-i have 2 cockers as well. Also i ask her just to brush out the hair on top and she trimmed it into a ball-which i know is the correct way for the 'showring look' but it wasnt what i wanted. Does anyone think she should have called me first before she shaved all my poodles legs? I was so upset..i realise it will grow back but it's not the point. I guess i should have known that if she had 20 minutes to talk to me at this time of the year perhaps she isnt very popular for a reason. Anyway i needed to vent..thanks for reading

LEGS. This means to me that BOTH the back legs were matted, not just the one that had the bandage on it. The OP hasn't been back to clarify anything asked in the thread, and we're not going to hear the groomer's side, so it is hard to pass judgement either way.